The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 16:52:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Sad photo of Orange County International raceway
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Sad photo of Orange County International raceway  (Read 15576 times)
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« on: January 14, 2008, 13:02:45 pm »

Sad

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 13:07:07 pm »

Cry Cry Cry Cry
Glauco

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 13:48:13 pm »

is that how OCIR looks like today?
wolfswest

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 13:53:53 pm »

Cry
More pictures available how it looks today?  Sad, but I'm always interested how things looked like in the past and in the present.

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 14:13:29 pm »

This was taken last weekend...

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 14:21:50 pm »

Try this...

Or this Google link:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=33.665693,-117.745907&spn=0.01643,0.031908&t=h&z=16&om=1
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 14:27:05 pm by Fastbrit » Logged

wolfswest

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 14:22:16 pm »

Keith,

I can't see the last photo or is it my pc?  Huh

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 14:27:27 pm »

Keith,

I can't see the last photo or is it my pc?  Huh

Dem
Your PC!

Direct link is: http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/bonneville/218/ociraerial/ocirair02b.jpg

Glauco

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 14:58:04 pm »

such a shame that something so important to some people can mean nothing to others, such a shame it had to close down and after all those years it has just been left there to fall appart...
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 15:02:30 pm »

What is that airstrip nearby on the Google map?

And don't feel too sad about the tower...if I read correctly somewhere, the tower is now at Firebird Raceway in Phoenix?

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 15:25:07 pm »

such a shame that something so important to some people can mean nothing to others, such a shame it had to close down and after all those years it has just been left there to fall appart...
NO! That photo was take back in the 1980s! The whole area is now a high-class business park.

team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 16:35:32 pm »

Keith, direct link is

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/bonneville/218/ocir01/    Glenn

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Glauco

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 16:56:30 pm »

NO! That photo was take back in the 1980s! The whole area is now a high-class business park.
oops, sorry:p
still a shame it's gone.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 17:30:40 pm »

i love this one  Shocked

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 17:48:24 pm »

is that how OCIR looks like today?

It's a Multi-Million dollar Office/Light Industrial Park. My wife works in one of the buildings.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 17:50:38 pm »

And don't feel too sad about the tower...if I read correctly somewhere, the tower is now at Firebird Raceway in Phoenix?

The airstrip is(was) El Toro Marine Corps Air Station, now closed.

You're right about the tower being moved to Firebird.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 22:58:22 pm »

The airstrip is(was) El Toro Marine Corps Air Station, now closed.

I work across the street from the Air Strip. At one time , O.C. was considring to biuld a race track along with Park & Wild life area..

Der Kleiner Panzers
gibber!

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 00:47:15 am »

I don't think it's there now though is it?
I don't recall seeing it....?

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 01:27:27 am »

The tower in Phoenix was built before the tower was taken down. I talked to the track owner, Charley Allan, he owned both tracks. The one thing he did say that came from OCIR was the grand stands.

The Bug Run1 was the first event held at the Phoenix track, which became the Bugorama's
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 03:57:05 am »

The Power Pole Circled in the Picture just behind the starting line at OCIR  is the Pole Where DKP's Roger Graco Totaled his K Ghia his Berg Linkage stuck Wide open when he got on it when he was Leaving Bug In and his Choice was to hit someone else or hit the Pole well he chose the pole the car was Totaled and he broke both legs and one arm the Paramedics got him out of the Car and Proceeded to cut his DKP Club Jacket off him  for Medical Attention All Roger Kept Telling them DONT Cut The Patch" Dont cut the Patch"  Roger was in a Wheelchair for months and the DKP Members Got him another Ghia And Begain The Reserection of a All New K Ghia Glad To See That Both The Car and Roger  Came Threw It Ok  These Pictures just Reminded me of that Day at Bug In  Picture below was the First Car that was Totaled the Second Ghia Had 14 in Alloys.  Sarge any Pictures Of Rogers Second Ghia? with the alloys??
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 02:18:31 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Glauco

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 19:59:22 pm »

the DKP Members Got him another Ghia And Begain The Reserection of a All New K Ghia

that's what I call friendship Smiley
did there happen a lot of crashes on OCIR? or nothing more than any racetrack?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 20:07:03 pm by Mr.Oldskool » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 20:38:49 pm »

The Power Pole Circled in the Picture just behind the starting line at OCIR  is the Pole Where DKP's Roger Graco Totaled his K Ghia his Berg Linkage stuck Wide open when he got on it when he was Leaving Bug In and his Choice was to hit someone else or hit the Pole well he chose the pole the car was Totaled and he broke both legs and one arm the Paramedics got him out of the Car and Proceeded to cut his DKP Club Jacket off him  for Medical Attention All Roger Kept Telling them DONT Cut The Patch" Dont cut the Patch"  Roger was in a Wheelchair for months and the DKP Members Got him another Ghia And Begain The Reserection of a All New K Ghia Glad To See That Both The Car and Roger  Came Threw It Ok  These Pictures just Reminded me of that Day at Bug In
Shocked Shocked  sad  Embarrassed

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Glauco

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 23:21:56 pm »

I wanted to know a little more about OCIR, so after a search on the internet, I found a simular picture
Tony M

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 03:17:16 am »

It's a true shame that all the good race tracks have closed - OCIR, BAYLANDS, LIONS, CARLSBAD, ASCOT, ect.....  I did get to go to all of those tracks befor they closed.  Maybe the new track in Merced will make things better. Talk is they will have everything - drag, circle track, mx track, off road track, road race track. Might get some place new to have kick ass show and drags.

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 03:29:18 am »

Next time I park my butt in the grandstands at Firebird Ill pretend Im back at OCIR  Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
dougmische

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 22:02:14 pm »

The Power Pole Circled in the Picture just behind the starting line at OCIR  is the Pole Where DKP's Roger Graco Totaled his K Ghia his Berg Linkage stuck Wide open when he got on it when he was Leaving Bug In and his Choice was to hit someone else or hit the Pole well he chose the pole the car was Totaled and he broke both legs and one arm the Paramedics got him out of the Car and Proceeded to cut his DKP Club Jacket off him  for Medical Attention All Roger Kept Telling them DONT Cut The Patch" Dont cut the Patch"  Roger was in a Wheelchair for months and the DKP Members Got him another Ghia And Begain The Reserection of a All New K Ghia Glad To See That Both The Car and Roger  Came Threw It Ok  These Pictures just Reminded me of that Day at Bug In  Picture below was the First Car that was Totaled the Second Ghia Had 14 in Alloys.  Sarge any Pictures Of Rogers Second Ghia? with the alloys??

I was the 2nd car behind Roger that afternoon/evening.  I saw his rear tires smoking and the fronts smoking with the brakes locked up as he slammed into that pole.  I saw the pockets on his Sergio Valente designer jeans thru the back window as he went up and hit the steering wheel. 

Unless I have lost more memory than I am already aware of, he broke his right ankle, which was pressing as hard on the brake pedal as was humanly possible all the way up to impact, and he broke both elbows when he twisted his steering wheel into a pretzel, right before it slammed into his chest causing massive internal injuries.  (I still have in my possession the Porsche alloy wheel cap that was on the spare.)

Roger was first taken to the nearest hospital, Saddleback Memorial I think, and then he was transferred to UCI medical center in Orange, since his injuries were more serious than a non-trauma center could handle.  We drove behind and next to the ambulance that carried him, and in Roger's words, "The sound of 48IDAs all around were one of the things that kept [me] him going".  Keith Goss and I broke in to Al Martinez's Auto Body that night, where Rogers car had been taken, because we were worried that the 48's might be stolen, so we 'stole' them first.  It was when we got the carbs off the engine that we saw why his throttle had stuck wide open.  It was not the linkage, but the stop pin on the linkage arm on one of the carbs that had allowed the accelerator pump cam to go past the pump lever, and once there, it couldn't return.  Many people ask "why didn't he turn off the ignition?"  There was just no time, it just happened so fast.  One second, he's doing a burnout and getting a tad sideways, the next the car is in a pole.  Check out the distance from the access road to that pole.  Didn't take very long.

We waited all night until morning when he came out of ICU.  It was a night that I'll never forget.

Doug Mische
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 22:07:23 pm »

I was the 2nd car behind Roger that afternoon/evening.  I saw his rear tires smoking and the fronts smoking with the brakes locked up as he slammed into that pole.  I saw the pockets on his Sergio Valente designer jeans thru the back window as he went up and hit the steering wheel. 

Unless I have lost more memory than I am already aware of, he broke his right ankle, which was pressing as hard on the brake pedal as was humanly possible all the way up to impact, and he broke both elbows when he twisted his steering wheel into a pretzel, right before it slammed into his chest causing massive internal injuries.  (I still have in my possession the Porsche alloy wheel cap that was on the spare.)

Roger was first taken to the nearest hospital, Saddleback Memorial I think, and then he was transferred to UCI medical center in Orange, since his injuries were more serious than a non-trauma center could handle.  We drove behind and next to the ambulance that carried him, and in Roger's words, "The sound of 48IDAs all around were one of the things that kept [me] him going".  Keith Goss and I broke in to Al Martinez's Auto Body that night, where Rogers car had been taken, because we were worried that the 48's might be stolen, so we 'stole' them first.  It was when we got the carbs off the engine that we saw why his throttle had stuck wide open.  It was not the linkage, but the stop pin on the linkage arm on one of the carbs that had allowed the accelerator pump cam to go past the pump lever, and once there, it couldn't return.  Many people ask "why didn't he turn off the ignition?"  There was just no time, it just happened so fast.  One second, he's doing a burnout and getting a tad sideways, the next the car is in a pole.  Check out the distance from the access road to that pole.  Didn't take very long.

We waited all night until morning when he came out of ICU.  It was a night that I'll never forget.

Doug Mische

Wow, sounds like he was really lucky not to have bought the farm.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
dougmische

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 22:12:15 pm »

Wow, sounds like he was really lucky not to have bought the farm.

--louis
[/quote]

He came very close.  Lucky man.
Sarge

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 01:35:22 am »

Speaking of lucky guys, you could add Ron Fleming's name to the list.  I was helping "crew" The Underdog the night Ron put it on it's top going through the lights...scared the crap out of all of us as it sparked like a fireworks show until it slid to a stop.  Ron's ex, Lisa was with us at the starting line and screamed for what seemed an eternity.  Ron escaped unscathed...I'll never forget it.

DKP III
deano

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 02:11:33 am »

Wasn't Gene Berg on the scene shortly after the accident?

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: