The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 17:34:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350804 Posts in 28595 Topics by 6825 Members
Latest Member: vertvolks
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  VolksWorld Show line-up (circa '96?)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: VolksWorld Show line-up (circa '96?)  (Read 23147 times)
Ivan

« on: January 17, 2008, 17:26:20 pm »

Here's an old photograph I found whilst looking through some files on my computer. It was taken after the VolksWorld Show and includes Pal Rui's Split on the BRMs he aged by burying them in his garden over winter! My '67 on orginal DDS pie pans, my old low light Ghia on Empi Sprints (I don't know why I ever sold the Ghia, the DDS or the Sprints?), then we've got Paul Turner's Zenith blue US Spec '67 on Sprints, A UK spec '67 on Fuchs and Rikki Ryatt black 'US spec '67. Brings back a few memories for me.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 17:58:28 pm »

I thought the car with the rutabega BRMS was a little strange. Trying to force an aged look on a Cal Look car?    Huh
Tim C

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 18:03:22 pm »

It is a super cool car Jim - a little bit different as well, which can only be a good thing.

Pete Roberts has this picture on his workshop wall, I love it, a great selection of cars.

JG54 Greenhearts
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 18:03:42 pm »

I thought the car with the rutabega BRMS was a little strange. Trying to force an aged look on a Cal Look car?    Huh
its Paul rui's car I think its an orginal set of BRM wheels
LuftsickTero

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 18:09:23 pm »

Strange in positive way, after 10 years that is still one of the coolest cars that I know..

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Ivan

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 18:29:51 pm »

They are OG magnesium Berms. They lived underground for a whole winter in Norway. 
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 18:31:13 pm »

They are OG magnesium Berms. They lived underground for a whole winter in Norway. 

well call me a freak, or whatever, but I think BRMs should glisten and sparkle like diamonds.  Grin
bathing ape

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 18:32:52 pm »

cool picture and all cool cars
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 18:34:36 pm »

well call me a freak, or whatever, but I think BRMs should glisten and sparkle like diamonds.  Grin

You would have to see the car Jim. The whole thing looks like someone stuck a early cal-looker in a barn and left it there for 30 years. There was a pic in Volksworld and the car is way cool.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 18:35:50 pm »

I remember that article , it takes a brave man to bury a set of old BRM's to get the look he wants . wish I could find a set of them while digging about in my back garden  Roll Eyes

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Jim Ratto

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 18:37:32 pm »

You would have to see the car Jim. The whole thing looks like someone stuck a early cal-looker in a barn and left it there for 30 years. There was a pic in Volksworld and the car is way cool.

--louis

yeah I have the article. I don't get it.
Ivan

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 18:43:44 pm »

Pal wanted to make the car look like an old 'barnfind' California Looker - when he bought the car it was a basically show condition Split Window. He then rubbed the fresh shiny paint out and did all he could to age everything. He virtually got arrested for stealing salt water in a bucket and throwing back the water he didn't need. The police didn't understand that a grown man would be taking sea water to rub on magnesium wheels to age them.

Don't you just love the wonderful world of VWs?
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 19:15:50 pm »

Pal wanted to make the car look like an old 'barnfind' California Looker - when he bought the car it was a basically show condition Split Window. He then rubbed the fresh shiny paint out and did all he could to age everything. He virtually got arrested for stealing salt water in a bucket and throwing back the water he didn't need. The police didn't understand that a grown man would be taking sea water to rub on magnesium wheels to age them.

I think the salt water story relates to causing rust on his Barndoor Porsche race support Bus. As if that makes it any less crazy! Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 19:32:32 pm by Fastbrit » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 19:30:15 pm »

when he bought the car it was a basically show condition Split Window. He then rubbed the fresh shiny paint out and did all he could to age everything.

Shocked Shocked Shocked
 Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
 Cheesy

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Glauco

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 19:46:26 pm »

so they do had ratlooks back in the days Tongue
Mach1

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 21:09:01 pm »

Hi Ivan, do you have more pictures of all these nice cars Huh
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 21:33:08 pm »

I think the salt water story relates to causing rust on his Barndoor Porsche race support Bus. As if that makes it any less crazy! Cheesy
I saw his barn twice (bugshow and volksworld-show) its the most crazy bus I ever seen the splitwindow was featured in magazine but the bus??? who got pictures please
64 RCR

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 22:29:06 pm »

Paul Turner's Zenith blue US Spec '67 on Sprints

The 67 is currently in the SAS VW club, still looks immaculate to this day and will have a 2276 "John Walklett" built motor with my old wedgeports and 48`s for 2008, ready for Big Bang 2008 (UK)!! sweet looker.

Poe Wink
beetletom

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 22:50:04 pm »

what happened to the green and the black 67 at the end?
they were from west drayton area apparently...??
streetvw

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 23:00:38 pm »

I've got a few of them heres a taster

JS

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 23:18:16 pm »

Pålīs split beetle is a great car with amazing attention to detail. But itīs not for everyone. I think the salt-water story is getting out of hand, Iīve heard a good number of versions over the years...  Cheesy
I think one of the really cool things about OG BRMīs is that the magnesium oxidize easily, giving them a finish that sets them apart from repro alu wheels. The car (and wheels) where at EBI this year where it picked up the "Pure Cal-look" award. Firestone slicks at the back. To me, that is one of the coolest combos ever.

Signature.
Eddie DVK

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 23:47:24 pm »

The car (and wheels) where at EBI this year

I saw it there and in the magazine, it looks like a aged(used) car...
It s just looks perfect.

I not a fan of those shiny new restored(unused) cars.

My 2 cents

Kind Regards Edgar

EDIT: There is also the red  Belgian Beetle on aged BRM s and with Fat Bisquit interior, that one is also looking very good in my eyes.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 23:52:59 pm by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Gaz1

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 09:32:54 am »

Paul Turner's Zenith blue US Spec '67 on Sprints

The 67 is currently in the SAS VW club, still looks immaculate to this day and will have a 2276 "John Walklett" built motor with my old wedgeports and 48`s for 2008, ready for Big Bang 2008 (UK)!! sweet looker.

Poe Wink

Cheers Poe  Grin
Tim C

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 10:09:08 am »

The split...

The "other" split...

JG54 Greenhearts
LuftsickTero

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 10:43:50 am »

The split...
The "other" split...

More.. Bug Run 1998, 2000..

Bug Run 2001..

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Luftkraft

You know Gil Gonzales?

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 11:00:46 am »

cool photos, that's the time when I got into the cal look stuff. pics like that were a huge inspiration to me. damn, those DDS pie pans look awesome, what a shame that I sold my '60 with Ercos.  Undecided

LUFTKRAFT Hopped-Up Vee Dubs since 1998
LOWTECH Traditional Hot Rods and Customs Online

...because stock sucks.
streetvw

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 11:25:21 am »

Bernies Oval has to be one of the most hardcore cal look bugs ever built IMHO
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 11:47:08 am »

what happened to the green and the black 67 at the end?
they were from west drayton area apparently...??

the green one was for sale on the volkszone forums fairly recently, still looking awesome! I have the Volksworld right up on the car and the car is very well detailed.

streetvw

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2008, 12:28:01 pm »

the green 67 was a very nice car infact it won best cal look at the volksworld show that year, the guys name was Mike but his surname escapes me at the moment
streetvw

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 12:42:49 pm »

all this got me looking through my old photos anyone in the uk know what happened to the car this was built for?

I remember the engine and box been built at John Mahers the guy spared no expence and then just dissappeared I think he was from Bolton or Bury, I never saw the shell but I heard it was really clean? 
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: