The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 21:09:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Lost History -- The Mark Dean '67
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Lost History -- The Mark Dean '67  (Read 50374 times)
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2012, 11:41:27 am »

That's my favorite part of cal look history, reading how things were done back in the day. Smiley Fun, friends and home made cars!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2012, 15:00:21 pm »

Good stuff, Mark. Let us know when you get the Oval done so we can get you some club stickers.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
LuftsickTero

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2012, 17:06:44 pm »

Deep 15X6 Fuchs pollished by Charlie Sihilling . . .
The fronts were 15x5.5

Cool photos and stories, thank you for sharing them  Cool Really dig the colour and the unusual fully polished wheels.

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2012, 17:25:43 pm »

Fully polished alloys were S.O.P. (Standard Operating Procedure) in DKK  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2012, 07:34:22 am »

For everyone but me. Anodized only... then and now.

Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Cornpanzer

« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2012, 14:12:02 pm »

I love the shaved decklid. A style that should come back IMO.

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2012, 18:31:17 pm »

For everyone but me. Anodized only... then and now.

Grin

Always the rebel!

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2012, 18:32:57 pm »

I've often thought about doing the shaved decklid but anywhere else you put the license plate makes it look as an afterthought.

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2012, 02:23:29 am »

Never liked it. Always looks like something is missing.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Cornpanzer

« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2012, 14:52:35 pm »

Kinda like shaved trim, shaved turn signals and no bumpers look like "something is missing"?   Tongue

Its definitely a polarizing look. It was hot for a sort period in the 80's, so I think you would have to have been around the hobby then to appreciate it. I was so proud of my shaved and louvered decklid that I put on my '69 in 1988. I need to find some photos.  Smiley

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2012, 15:22:37 pm »

Dave the decklid on your black car would look great shaved like that. Just a little extra work filling those additional vents at the top.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Cornpanzer

« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2012, 21:51:59 pm »

Actually, I have considered shaving a sedan lid and having it punched full of hot rod louvers just to buck the trend.

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2012, 22:09:39 pm »

Dave you would be a hit on taco night! Gradeing cheese!!

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Cornpanzer

« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2012, 01:20:39 am »

ANd knuckles!  Cheesy

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2012, 01:22:39 am »

Kinda like shaved trim, shaved turn signals and no bumpers look like "something is missing"?   Tongue

Its definitely a polarizing look. It was hot for a sort period in the 80's, so I think you would have to have been around the hobby then to appreciate it. I was so proud of my shaved and louvered decklid that I put on my '69 in 1988. I need to find some photos.  Smiley

I don't think trim, signals, and bumpers are in the same category. You can loose the light housing on a 66 or earlier car and it looks pretty ok. The 67 and laters... Not so much Wink

Did you see the pics of the maroon 80's looker I did an interior for? It had a missing light housing, along with t-bars (on a late model... blech), painted headlight rings, and a frenched power antenna in the front fender. I know what you mean though, it seemed like all those wrongs (IMO) made a right on that car.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
58vw

« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2012, 00:13:31 am »

louvers..really cool in the 80s...seymour louvers in fullerton did a bunch on all sorts of cars...sir lots of louvers i think was another one
always loved marks car

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2012, 09:11:07 am »

When I began modifying my ‘67 in the late seventies, I was influenced by the trends emerging among the big-name street rod builders (just as they were about to OD on billet aluminum). I was, of course, also HEAVILY influenced by the Feb ‘75 D.B.& H.V.W.s  . . . especially the awesome line drawing in the California-Look article. I’ll give credit to that drawing for the idea of shaving my deck lid. When I built the car, I seriously doubt that there was anybody in the world that could have talked me out shaving the deck lid!
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

In the background, you can see my neighbors blue ‘67 . . . the blue plaid interior I had in my car ended up going into Matt’s bug when I rebuilt my car. I think he eventually lowered his bug and put chromes on it.

Shaving the front indicators, however, is a different story. I am ambivalent about the bullets on ovals, but any other bug looks better with the stock front indicators shaved. The indicators I used here were some that Jon Cabot located . . . we used to sell them at Street Scene.

I really liked my car with the alloys, but I think this is the best version of my ‘67. If I could change only one thing, I would throw those goofy knock-offs into the trash . . . Five spokes deserve the correct center caps! Note the shaded windshield. The speakers are Magnums that had heavy, die-cast grills and were mounted in a simple, hinged plywood panel. When I later rebuilt the ‘67, that speaker panel went into my ‘56 and was in it when I sold my oval window.

Jesucristo es mi Señor y Salvador!
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2012, 09:54:10 am »

Another view of the front indicators. Unless I am mistaken, they are from some sort of industrial equipment.  

Just for old times sake, a few more shots in front of the shop. I am sure these Polaroids were taken by my brother John . . . with the Empi wheels . . .

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 09:56:35 am by 56BLITZ » Logged

56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2012, 10:03:52 am »

About the full polish on my wheels. I thought I was getting a deal on the set of wheels ( I think I found them for sale in The Recycler classifieds ), but after I bought them and took them over to Charlie Sihilling, he explained how durable powder coating is and that I would NOT be getting a bargain on the polishing!
In case yer interested, they were COMPLEATLY covered in metallic grey hammertone powder paint.
This was the day I picked them up and my brother thought this comparison with a couple wheels from the shop would be fun.

And with the alloys on the car.
A short time after this photo was taken, the story of my ‘67 took a sad turn for the worse!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:07:48 am by 56BLITZ » Logged

Cornpanzer

« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2012, 17:19:40 pm »

If I could change only one thing, I would throw those goofy knock-offs into the trash . . . Five spokes deserve the correct center caps!

The best thing about wheel spinners (I had the three bar type) was how they would inevitably loosen up and fly off. I think I lost three total. I was lucky, none of them took any paint with them...but I know others werent so lucky!   Cheesy

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2012, 18:43:48 pm »

If I could change only one thing, I would throw those goofy knock-offs into the trash . . . Five spokes deserve the correct center caps!

The best thing about wheel spinners (I had the three bar type) was how they would inevitably loosen up and fly off. I think I lost three total. I was lucky, none of them took any paint with them...but I know others werent so lucky!   Cheesy

I only lost one... about 6 months later I was at a friends house and his little brother mentioned he found one up in the hills. He showed it to me and it was mine! I could tell because I painted the back side of them.  Grin

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2012, 18:45:09 pm »

Great Pics Mark.

I just absolutely loved that car.

It really influenced my ideas and also led me to DKK  Wink

DKKBRIAN
DKK

« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2012, 21:12:48 pm »

DITTO .. WHAT RICK SAID.  Grin

DUH..WINNING !
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2012, 00:57:31 am »

Just for old times sake, a few more shots in front of the shop. I am sure these Polaroids were taken by my brother John . . . with the Empi wheels . . .

Street Scene...  Lots of bench racing took place there!!   Cool  Bought my first stroker crank there (82mm porsche journal EMS crank).

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
gerhart

« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2012, 06:51:17 am »

wow, I can not believe it has been that long ago, My Bahama yellow 1970, so dam low could not clear a beer can on its side. Man we had so much fun in those days working on ower cars. I will never forget when John your brother came to my house with his new 1973 super, with  paper plats,  and said lets rip off the chrome and Cal Look this thing, I thought he was out of his mind, I think we had primer on it that might. Dam We Had FUN !!!!   
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2012, 08:07:43 am »

Hey Gerhart! Welcome to the Cal-look Lounge . . . I am really glad ya found me! What’s even more of a trip than how long it’s been, is that these folks (even some of them on the other side of the world!) remember the cars we worked on!

gerhart

« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2012, 00:03:38 am »

Hello 57blitz (mark) , it really was great to see you, wish I had more time to talk to you. You have brought back so may good memories   that I have forgoten. I just finished looking at the photos of your new project car,what a beautiful start,that car is you. I wish I could be there to help, what fun that would be. Do you have tail lights for the car, I had noticed in one of the pics there were no lights on the rear fenders. I have two pair of glass lens tail lights and you can have a pair if they are correct for your car. OH YA, in the last pic saw something interesting that might be under the blue cover.  Well Ill let you go, sorry it took so long to get back to you.
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2012, 08:34:35 am »

I have two pair of glass lens tail lights and you can have a pair if they are correct for your car. OH YA, in the last pic saw something interesting that might be under the blue cover. 
Thanks Gerhart! I could use taillights (and a few other Oval window parts!)
As for what's under the blue tarp, I am going to mention it, but that'll be at the end of this story.

56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2012, 08:53:47 am »

So one day, I arrive for work at Street Scene, and my personal parking spot in front of the store is taken. I think the bartending school was having a gradation ceremony and the lot had a bunch of cars in it. I parked the ‘67 in the second row, but it was just out of my sight when I was behind the counter. Shortly after that, a customer comes into the shop and asks me what happened to my car. “Uh . . . nothing happened to my car! What are you talking about?”

This is what he was talking about . . . a Hit-and-Run!

I didn't see my car get hit, but there was beige paint transferred to my fender. I kept an eye on the parking lot and after about a week, I spotted an old station wagon parked across the lot in front of the market. I went out and got a closer look, and sure enough . . . the old beater had a Mediterranean blue “Talladega stripe" along the right side.
Of course I waited there until the guy came out of the store!
Of course the guy denied hitting my car!
Finally, after showing him how my car had his paint on it and his car had some of mine, all it took was my suggestion that we get another opinion from an Anaheim Police officer and the dude agreed to pay the repair cost. He gave me all the cash he had in his wallet (about $30), let me copy the info on his driver license, and he gave me his phone number. Then he told me he would be able to give me more money on payday.
He must have forgot to tell me he was moving out of town the day before payday . . . I never saw the guy again!

56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2012, 09:02:47 am »

cool car never seen before   Shocked mark was in the dkk , but no stickers on the windows Huh

Fabian, you can blame a no-good jerk in an old station wagon for that! Angry

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: