The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 23:51:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Lost History -- The Mark Dean '67
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Lost History -- The Mark Dean '67  (Read 49671 times)
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« on: January 20, 2008, 20:04:47 pm »

Thanks to Stephan and Brian Plummer we  finally have a picture of Mark Dean's '67.

For me personally, this car was one of the biggest influences in how I perceive Cal-Look. It was built in the late '70s. The color was a Datsun/Nissan color but I can't remember the name of it. Everything on the car was color coded. It looked like the whole car was dipped in a vat of paint.

Stephan sent me 2 scans of the car from the original magazine article. I did the best I could to stitch the the scans together but there is obviously a section missing. I also tweaked the color to match what I remember the color to be.l

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 20:18:18 pm »

cool car never seen before   Shocked mark was in the dkk , but no stickers on the windows Huh

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Stephan S

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 20:22:16 pm »

Such a COOL car! You know, I couldn't sleep this morning; so I decided to go through some French magazines I bought 25 years ago, and scan a few pictures. I will post one picture every day.

Here is the first picture. It was published in "Rod et Custom Magazine" back in August 1983. The article was about Bug-In 30. I have no idea who the owner might be, but I love the stance of that car, with fat slicks in the back.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 20:28:44 pm by Stephan S » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 20:22:54 pm »

cool car never seen before   Shocked mark was in the dkk , but no stickers on the windows Huh

Yes.. not sure why there are no stickers. This might have been taken after he sold it.

beetletom

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 20:30:44 pm »

whoa i love it!!!!

looks like a colour coded 80's looker

way ahead of its time then Wink
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 20:47:53 pm »

Thanks Stephan, Rick and Brian,
  That photo was taken after it left Mark's hands, when Mark built it there were no bumpers,no T bars, nothing. I cannot remember if John Dobson  ( 1st owner after Mark D.) or Dave Zink who bought it from John added the bumpers. The photos probably came from Eric Geisert who was good friends w/ Dave Z.  I was pretty good friends w/ John D. & I worked on it a few times. The assembly & finish on it were awesome. My brother Randy repainted the nose when Dave Z. had it to clear up a bit of road rash. Dave Z. later traded it for a 356 cab sometime in the mid 80's I think it ended up in the San Diego area & I have not seen it since.  It took me a while to remember the plate on it  FASNLOW I am pretty sure thats what it was. Maybe Brian or Rick would verify.  Thanks for the memories    Bill

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Stephan S

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 20:59:45 pm »

[...] The photos probably came from Eric Geisert who was good friends w/ Dave Z.  [...]

Actually, the pics were taken by Pat Behar, a French photographer. He went to become a famous motorsport photographer back in the '80s and '90s. (He even received a highly-regarded "Best Motorsport Picture of the Year" award for one of his Formula 1 pictures). He now works for the FIA and is in charge of Press Credentials at Formula 1 races.

By the way, thanks for your help with the "half pictures", Rick!

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 21:15:45 pm »

That photo was taken after it left Mark's hands, when Mark built it there were no bumpers,no T bars, nothing. I cannot remember if John Dobson  ( 1st owner after Mark D.) or Dave Zink who bought it from John added the bumpers. The photos probably came from Eric Geisert who was good friends w/ Dave Z.  I was pretty good friends w/ John D. & I worked on it a few times. The assembly & finish on it were awesome. My brother Randy repainted the nose when Dave Z. had it to clear up a bit of road rash. Dave Z. later traded it for a 356 cab sometime in the mid 80's I think it ended up in the San Diego area & I have not seen it since.  It took me a while to remember the plate on it  FASNLOW I am pretty sure thats what it was. Maybe Brian or Rick would verify.  Thanks for the memories    Bill

FASNLOW sounds right.

Hey Bill... remember the night we drove over to John's in my '67. We were working on the car late into the night. For some reason I can't remember I wasn't drinking. We got into a beer fight soaking each other down with beer. I remember driving first to your place to drop you off then home at like 2 in the morning soaked in beer and fearing that I was gonna get pulled over soaked in beer, totally sober and having to talk my way out of a DUI.  Grin Grin Grin

"No Officer I haven't had any beer"
"Yes I realize I'm soaked in beer."
"No I haven't had anything to drink."
"I'm sure Officer."

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 21:16:24 pm »

[...] The photos probably came from Eric Geisert who was good friends w/ Dave Z.  [...]

Actually, the pics were taken by Pat Behar, a French photographer. He went to become a famous motorsport photographer back in the '80s and '90s. (He even received a highly-regarded "Best Motorsport Picture of the Year" award for one of his Formula 1 pictures). He now works for the FIA and is in charge of Press Credentials at Formula 1 races.

By the way, thanks for your help with the "half pictures", Rick!

Anytime Stephan!

nicolas

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 21:29:41 pm »

wauw, this car is awsome.
my guess it is right there with Bill's late looker and Dumper. am i close? there is something about making such a car that seems so right to me. i especially like this treatment on late models, but this 67 looks really good as well. in a way it is the 'most single colour' you can do on a callook, for me at least. more and you end up with some 80's custom look. and just not too much to see it is still business. if i could own a bug and restore it i hope it would come out like this one. any idea about engine specs? races?

thanks

this made my day.

Wink
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 21:43:39 pm »

hey rick and bill,I can see the beer drinking. but the working? come on tell the real story.ha. HA. hope every thing is good . by fo now

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 21:53:03 pm »

FASNLOW sounds right.

I remember another time @ John's house we were drinking a bunch o beer & I must have fallen asleep or something & I woke up the next morning I did'nt quite remember where I was but there was a Doberman Pinscher standing on my chest.  that was a little interesting.

Hey Bill... remember the night we drove over to John's in my '67. We were working on the car late into the night. For some reason I can't remember I wasn't drinking. We got into a beer fight soaking each other down with beer. I remember driving first to your place to drop you off then home at like 2 in the morning soaked in beer and fearing that I was gonna get pulled over soaked in beer, totally sober and having to talk my way out of a DUI.  Grin Grin Grin

"No Officer I haven't had any beer"
"Yes I realize I'm soaked in beer."
"No I haven't had anything to drink."
"I'm sure Officer."

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Eddy Merckx
LuftsickTero

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 22:22:32 pm »

Thanks to Stephan and Brian Plummer we  finally have a picture of Mark Dean's '67.

That is super nice, I like the stance from that period too.

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
DKKBRIAN
DKK

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 00:14:53 am »

GOOD JOB RICK! YOUR RIGHT BILL. JOHN AND I INSTALLED THE BUMPERS AT MY DADS SHOP. HE WAS REALLY SCARED CUTTING FOR THE BRACKETS. LOTS OF GREAT MEMORIES IN THAT CAR. THAT CAR WAS BUILT VERY SOLID AND FAST FOR THE TIME. THANKS AGAIN STEPHAN AND RICK! ANY MORE PICS???

DUH..WINNING !
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 00:32:56 am »

Such a COOL car! You know, I couldn't sleep this morning; so I decided to go through some French magazines I bought 25 years ago, and scan a few pictures. I will post one picture every day.

Here is the first picture. It was published in "Rod et Custom Magazine" back in August 1983. The article was about Bug-In 30. I have no idea who the owner might be, but I love the stance of that car, with fat slicks in the back.

Looks like the fenders have been widen to me.

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 14:18:48 pm »

Wow thats almost what I would call a "missing link" between the early seventies lookers, and the pastel lookers of the eighties...  this style is coming back sometime in the future.
I have to say it makes me feel like a 15 year old again ;-)

It looks NICE!!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Stephan S

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 17:55:34 pm »

Picture of the week #2: Joe Hullett’s Ghia at Orange County International Raceway. Check out the license plate...
From a Special Issue of Rod et Custom, dated 1984.

Der Kleiner Panzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 18:01:54 pm »

cool car  Cool

Stephan S

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 17:38:38 pm »

Picture of the week #3: Todd Riley's '57 Oval. Car was featured in a special issue of Nitro back in '85, but I've never seen it anywhere else. This was my favorite VW at the time - I like the combination of Porsche hubcaps, dechromed body, etc. Ran 14s with a 1776cc.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Stephan S

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 17:00:34 pm »

Lisa Maxwell's '53 Split. She belonged to DKK. Engine was a 1776 with 42DCNFs and dual Fourtuned muffler.
Picture from Rod et Custom, June '82. Not sure where the picture was taken; but the car show featured other cars, including pick up trucks and low riders! Maybe Bill or Rick will know...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 17:04:53 pm by Stephan S » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 17:40:01 pm »

Lisa Maxwell's '53 Split. She belonged to DKK. Engine was a 1776 with 42DCNFs and dual Fourtuned muffler.
Picture from Rod et Custom, June '82. Not sure where the picture was taken; but the car show featured other cars, including pick up trucks and low riders! Maybe Bill or Rick will know...

I THINK it was a show we did in Southgate. Lots of low rider clubs and we were the only VW club. We were a little nervous about winning Most Rep Club.  Wink

That may be An early incarnation of Bill's late model in the background.

bathing ape

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 17:42:16 pm »

Picture of the week #3: Todd Riley's '57 Oval. Car was featured in a special issue of Nitro back in '85, but I've never seen it anywhere else. This was my favorite VW at the time - I like the combination of Porsche hubcaps, dechromed body, etc. Ran 14s with a 1776cc.

also in colin burnhams book aircooled vws Wink
Jim Ratto

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 18:03:47 pm »

from the pics it looks like there were tons of people, cars, every day was sunny, cars gleaming....  was everyday a car show? Grin
Stephan S

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 18:09:33 pm »

I THINK it was a show we did in Southgate. Lots of low rider clubs and we were the only VW club. We were a little nervous about winning Most Rep Club.  Wink

Yes, that's Bill's old '70 Bug in the background and it looks like Steve Wilkerson's '58 next to it.

also in colin burnhams book aircooled vws Wink
I forgot about that one! Same pictures, by Jacky Morel, the man behind Super VW Mag.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 18:19:18 pm »

Yes, that's Bill's old '70 Bug in the background and it looks like Steve Wilkerson's '58 next to it.

It was thinking that it might be Tod Fuller's daily driver as it was a more pale blue than Steve's car but it could be either.

team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 18:57:44 pm »

Rick the Southgate show was the Azalea Festival, from what I remember it was held in a park wasn't it? Glenn

It was thinking that it might be Tod Fuller's daily driver as it was a more pale blue than Steve's car but it could be either.

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 19:00:50 pm »

Yes you're right but I see to remember some large buildings next to the park. Maybe a High School??

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 22:20:58 pm »

cool picture of rainbow 53 stephan  Wink

Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 01:00:06 am »

I am pretty sure that is the Azalea Fest. I think that is Steve's car next to mine.

Eddy Merckx
Lemonade
DKK

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 07:31:27 am »

Didn't Mark's car have polished Empi  5-spokes before the Porsche alloys? Huh

Kevan
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: