The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 13:49:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350685 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  the DUMPER post
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: the DUMPER post  (Read 10091 times)
nicolas

« on: January 23, 2008, 08:37:14 am »

hey time to post some more info about this car.
i know there are some bits and pieces in other posts, but this car (like many others) deserves a proper post. so here is the space to do so. i also noticed that we have put up a lot off 80's callookers in the last few weeks and allthough not all off them are nice, oer even callook in my opinion i have no doubt that this one fall in the liking off other members as well. and since Sarge is recruiting some people that may know more about this car as well, i feel the time is right to do so.
some good stories about who drove it or who raced it (or was it only a showcar?) full specs o the car, and the question that was asked before but never got an answer: who owns it now?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 08:39:12 am by nicolas » Logged
Neil Davies

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 10:38:10 am »

I don't know much about it other than it was owned by John Dean and had a 1776 IDA motor, but it's a 1303 that looks right! Grin

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
nicolas

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:49:44 am »

I don't know much about it other than it was owned by John Dean and had a 1776 IDA motor, but it's a 1303 that looks right! Grin
i can add to that that it was a car that belonged to DKK, like his brothers 67 and other brothers red notch, but not much more at the moment.
but yes, it does look 'right' doesn't it?
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 13:22:04 pm »

nicolas you don't post those  Huh , i know you 've this one  Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 13:24:25 pm »

and this one  Grin

nicolas

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 13:43:29 pm »

i was at work. so thank you for doing this for me.  Kiss
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 16:06:22 pm »

the dumper has one of the wickedest engine bays i can think of  Cool

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Sarge

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 16:52:09 pm »

Hey Nicolas...not to hijack your post, but when I saw DUMPER, it brought back memories of DRF member Mike Dunphy's sedan which actually had a California plate that read DUMPER.  Would be cool to get Mike on here...I see him at Irwindale where he works as a Tech inspector occasionaly.  The original DUMPER!

DKP III
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 17:28:25 pm »

I don't know much about Dumper. John was out of DKK before I joined though the car was still around. I know that it was used to develop a system to lower the Super Beetle by Topline Parts. Might try contacting Jon at Topline for more info about it.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 17:37:13 pm »

Now there's a Super that I would even drive. And I love those Sport Bug seats!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
nicolas

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 19:14:21 pm »

Hey Nicolas...not to hijack your post, but when I saw DUMPER, it brought back memories of DRF member Mike Dunphy's sedan which actually had a California plate that read DUMPER.  Would be cool to get Mike on here...I see him at Irwindale where he works as a Tech inspector occasionaly.  The original DUMPER!

no problem amigo. where this guys in the know off eachothers car? or so? post a pic if you have one...

oh sorry, get Mike on this lounge and SPEEDWELL post a pic!  Grin Grin Grin Grin ( i am a bit cheeky today it seems...)
Sarge

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 19:35:32 pm »

no problem amigo. where this guys in the know off eachothers car? or so? post a pic if you have one...

oh sorry, get Mike on this lounge and SPEEDWELL post a pic!  Grin Grin Grin Grin ( i am a bit cheeky today it seems...)

I have no pics, but I do have Mike's phone nunber...I'll try getting him on here.  Cheeky, eh?  Grin

DKP III
nicolas

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 21:44:12 pm »

I have no pics, but I do have Mike's phone nunber...I'll try getting him on here.  Cheeky, eh?  Grin

well i guess a thank you from my behalf would be in place  Kiss
Jim Ratto

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 20:45:46 pm »

An old post due for review....

How about some talk about Dumper? I remember when I got the "Air Cooled Volkswagens" book for Christmas, same year I got my '67 and was really taken by the car's look. Back then, even after only being into VW's for literally hours, I knew there was something cool about that car. I didn't even notice it was a Super (I didn't know what a Super Beetle was way back then... they were all "bugs"). You guys talk about stance.... this car owns the stance subject. Normally, I don't care for fully polish alloys, but on this car, nothing else would work.

I'd enjoy hearing from guys that were around when this car was rolling... any stories. Where is this car today?

If somebody wanted to build a cool (an inexpensive) tribute car......   

Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 23:39:12 pm »

Heres one I shot back in the day.  I do believe its the same car.

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 09:49:25 am »

Shocked Shocked bling bling   Shocked Shocked
it was a trailer queen or a daily driver??? because the brake drum plate is too shiny  ,no dust from the brakes   Shocked

wolfswest

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 11:30:06 am »

I thought that the underside of my car looked pretty clean, guess not if I see this picture.  Grin

If this was a daily driver I bet the guy didn't have a job and cleaned the car all day long...  Tongue

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 12:04:41 pm »

About the inserts in the seats, is it still possible to find this kind of fabric somewhere in the world...? I have been asking around in shops in Norway, but they usually call the cops on me  Tongue

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
wolfswest

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 12:12:48 pm »

About the inserts in the seats, is it still possible to find this kind of fabric somewhere in the world...? I have been asking around in shops in Norway, but they usually call the cops on me  Tongue

dunno, but I love them too...  The backseat is pretty nice!!

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
airstuff

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 13:47:00 pm »

this was my favorite california look super beetle,since I saw it in the internet for the first time.And the engine is also classic.48 IDA,tayco linkage,I justo don't like so much chrome,but sure it's nice Smiley
nicolas

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 17:13:39 pm »

are you sure that is because you ask for the fabric???  Roll Eyes Grin
johnl

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 18:35:11 pm »

An old post due for review....

How about some talk about Dumper? I remember when I got the "Air Cooled Volkswagens" book for Christmas, same year I got my '67 and was really taken by the car's look. Back then, even after only being into VW's for literally hours, I knew there was something cool about that car. I didn't even notice it was a Super (I didn't know what a Super Beetle was way back then... they were all "bugs"). You guys talk about stance.... this car owns the stance subject. Normally, I don't care for fully polish alloys, but on this car, nothing else would work.

I'd enjoy hearing from guys that were around when this car was rolling... any stories. Where is this car today?

If somebody wanted to build a cool (an inexpensive) tribute car......   

This may not be related to VW stuff, but here is a little history about Mike Dumphy.  I met him way back when he was in DRF and then he came to work at Auto Haus.  Over a period of time he worked in various stores and I think ran the Orange Store (1211 N. Tustin Ave.) at one time.  During this period I think Stan Davis was also there, but I'd need to check the restroom for reading litature to verify that !  Shocked Shocked Shocked

When I was ready to sell our first home (this was after the '63 had left my life and I was driving a BMW Bavaria)  Mike put me in contact with a realitor, Frank Steinhauf, whos daughter was a friend of Mike's wife.  Long story short after looking at about 300 homes with Frank (he was a very patient man) we stumbled on the property in Garden Grove.  This of course was the last place I wanted to live, but once I walked in the house I knew I was home.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Mike was there on moving day and helped load the Auto Haus truck with several loads of furniture and everything else we had accumlited in our then six years of mariage.  He was always willing to help.  Shortly after this Mike ended up buying a home only a mile or two from us.  I can't remember who left Auto Haus first, but we drifted apart.

Fast forward to VW Drag Day at Irwindale just about a month ago.  Christie and arrived and started bumping into old friends.  Ed Craig said "Dumphy is here staging cars".  So after 30 years I approaced him yelling "DUMPHY"  Grin Grin Grin Grin  He looked puzzed and then figured out who was yelling and there was a big hug from both of us. 

The years had been kind to him and he had lost weight.  Found out that he has been teaching for years and still lives in the same house very close to us.  I gave him my phone number and he remembered the street name I lived on after all of those years.  Hope to see more of him in the future as he is one of the "Good Guys".

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
vwcab

peter

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 19:36:39 pm »

But there's still that question............where is it now?

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 00:55:27 am »

are you sure that is because you ask for the fabric???  Roll Eyes Grin

Angry Grin Grin

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Stephen schmidt

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 17:42:40 pm »

Anyone know where the "dumper" super beetle is these days?
nicolas

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 18:10:55 pm »

Anyone know where the "dumper" super beetle is these days?

no, but someone needs to find out  Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: