The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 19:02:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Pics from 1980
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Pics from 1980  (Read 14978 times)
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« on: January 24, 2008, 17:51:01 pm »

I just scanned a few pics from 1980 and thought I'd throw them up here.  Enjoy
Heres an insane sand dragster and a killer Manx in the line up at OCIR.

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Worm
DKK

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 17:53:53 pm »

"Crushed Velvet" is the purple car.  I think it won Worst of Show that year.  Too funny.  And another Low Rider

Worm
DKK

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 17:55:38 pm »

More.....

Worm
DKK

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 17:57:37 pm »

more...

Worm
DKK

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 18:05:38 pm »

Wost in Show Scott Schroeder's car.  I think thats his name.  This thing was completely insane.  And as I recall he drove this car everywhere and all over Orange County

Worm
DKK

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 18:09:23 pm »

Heres an engine pic of Schwimmers car.  This yours Bill?  And another of Henry Mayeda

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 18:18:45 pm »

More.....
Those Picture's bring back alot of Memorys of the Past I Dont remember who Owned the Black BankShot Ghia but the BAE Turbo car Owned by turbo Bob had Posted high 9 sec 1/4 mile runs back in the 80's at Ocir, Mike Smith's "Gotcha" White 67 when is was still a street Car, And Bergs Car Leaving with the Wheels in the Air  Look at how Young Doug and Clyde Berg Are in that Picture (Teenagers) Lmao Grin Grin  I Bought my first set of 5 BRM's from Scott Schroeder they came off his 65 Cal Look I think he was in DRF same Club as Roger Crawford he Turned his Cal Look In to an Army Green High Dollar Baja What a Change to that Car He Use to Drive that Worst of show car Every where It was Funny it always had something new on it and crap was always falling off it while driving it around.  Turbo Bob  Put The Motor out of the Race Car in his Wifes Yellow 72 Bettle with an automatic Trans and Brought it out to a few of the Club Ralleys and took it Steert Racing after the Ralley Racing Gary Berg and Kris Klingerman and Others Those were the Good old Days
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 18:42:49 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 18:30:39 pm »

The pink late model above Mayeda's car is Dean's "Dumper" Super Beetle.     

Glenn

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 18:35:39 pm »

Wow... great pics Scott! Brings back lots of memories for me too!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 18:36:20 pm »

2 VW engines w/ 4 IDAs!  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked That is crazy. Wonder how well it ran.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Cornpanzer

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 18:42:02 pm »

Great pics Worm!
You have aPM

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
JS

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 19:01:45 pm »

AWESOME pics Worm!!! Thanks!  Grin

Signature.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 20:30:32 pm »

scott awesome pictures  we want more  Wink for us young cal looker who never lived that time  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
nicolas

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 21:47:50 pm »

very cool pictures. and keep digging and scanning  Grin
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 01:17:11 am »

Heres an engine pic of Schwimmers car.  This yours Bill?  And another of Henry Mayeda
  My late model was never that nice...Some people here might remember Henry's car as Geno Comb's , Geno was the original builder.

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 01:25:34 am »

My late model was never that nice...Some people here might remember Henry's car as Geno Comb's , Geno was the original builder.
Did not Know Henry Bought Geno's old Car car it looks Different without the try my 69 Geno had on the Deck Lid that was a big thing in the 80's Mike Smith had Gotcha on his Deck Lid Geno Had Try My 69 there was even a White 69 Bug that had a Picture of Porky Pig and said Abd Abd Thats All Volks LMAO It was At Bug in 13 or 14 anyone have Pictures ??

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Worm
DKK

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 02:30:52 am »

Thats funny you guys remember all that stuff.  Well with that, in the "Crushed Velvet" pic there is a glance of an alloy on a white car.  Well that wheel is attached to Geno Combs award winning Notchback (as I recall).
I am getting quite the kick out of how some of you are interested to see this old stuff.  Should I post a pic of the Bug In 27 plaque? The one that I received for... get this...  Mr Bug In 27 Runner Up?   Hah! I was 6'1" and 134 lbs in a tank top and long plaid shorts and high top red converse shoes.  I came in second to a HUGE dude in a navy blue speedo.  Its a really cool Bug In plaque that I've kept all these years.  Oh, and at 6 feet and 130 lbs you can only guess why they called me Worm back then.  I was a string bean.  Too funny.  I remember that I was in the contest and all these big giant muscle head dudes are looking at me like Im some sort of nut (I was).  When Dyno announced me I remember that a ton of people in the grandstands at OCIR started chanting .."Worm, Worm,Worm..."  The muscle dudes were bummed out and I was laughing so damn hard.  Funny.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 06:29:20 am by Worm » Logged

MYTOY
DKK

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 03:18:41 am »

HEY WORM & RIC MARK W/THE BLACK BEST OF SHOW 1980 REMEMBER (MYTOY) ON THE MIRROR? YEAH STILL HERE WANT TO GET A REUNION GOING! STILL HAVE SOME CONTACTS GIVE ME WHAT YOU HAVE SO WE CAN GET THIS THING MOVING FOR NEXT YEARS BUG-IN.
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 05:57:49 am »

Thanks for the flashback. I can still remember those cars as well. Mike Smith, the late Bob mcClure, Bergs all were exciting to watch. The Worst of Show was always a blast to check out. I remember one year someone dropped a car from a helicopter which made Worst of Show. Shocked

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 06:28:47 am »

HEY WORM & RIC MARK W/THE BLACK BEST OF SHOW 1980 REMEMBER (MYTOY) ON THE MIRROR? YEAH STILL HERE WANT TO GET A REUNION GOING! STILL HAVE SOME CONTACTS GIVE ME WHAT YOU HAVE SO WE CAN GET THIS THING MOVING FOR NEXT YEARS BUG-IN.

Mark ... How the heck are you! Long time buddy! I'll send ya a PM!

Rick

Worm
DKK

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 06:39:02 am »

Whats up Ramirez?  Still got the long hair ?  Probably not.  Did you say reunion?  I'm always up for a party.  I'm still hanging out with Cory Oldroyd (white white 67 Ghia with 2.0 alloys and a rag top.  Super clean car had the stickers for two years or more).  You may not remember him but Im certain he'll be up for it.  In fact I saw him today at the golf course.  Rick has my e-mail address include me in the communication.  Heres a pic of the car I'm in process of building for my son right now.  Dude, great to hear from you.  I just popped my head up a few weeks ago.   Too much eh?  Lets get together... soon
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 06:51:39 am by Worm » Logged

WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 06:49:18 am »

Hey Mark, I've never personally met you but I can still remember your car with the awesome black paint job and blue painted alloys. One of my favorite cars from the Bug In days... 4 shhoore. What happened to your car you still have it??

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 06:50:38 am »

That's sweet Worm! Looks good!

Cory? I hadn't thought of him in years! Glad to here he's still around... he's responsible for getting me into The Dead Kennedys!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 06:52:33 am by DKK Rick » Logged

nicolas

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 08:39:35 am »

he's responsible for getting me into The Dead Kennedys!

and that is a good thing!!!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 12:32:41 pm »

welcome to you mark another dkk member in DA PLACE waouuwwww
go to this mark some memories  Grin Grin http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,2322.msg29978.html#msg29978
rgd
fabian

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 18:22:43 pm »

Thats funny you guys remember all that stuff.  Well with that, in the "Crushed Velvet" pic there is a glance of an alloy on a white car.  Well that wheel is attached to Geno Combs award winning Notchback (as I recall).
I am getting quite the kick out of how some of you are interested to see this old stuff.  Should I post a pic of the Bug In 27 plaque? The one that I received for... get this...  Mr Bug In 27 Runner Up?   Hah! I was 6'1" and 134 lbs in a tank top and long plaid shorts and high top red converse shoes.  I came in second to a HUGE dude in a navy blue speedo.  Its a really cool Bug In plaque that I've kept all these years.  Oh, and at 6 feet and 130 lbs you can only guess why they called me Worm back then.  I was a string bean.  Too funny.  I remember that I was in the contest and all these big giant muscle head dudes are looking at me like Im some sort of nut (I was).  When Dyno announced me I remember that a ton of people in the grandstands at OCIR started chanting .."Worm, Worm,Worm..."  The muscle dudes were bummed out and I was laughing so damn hard.  Funny.
Grin Grin
is that the muscle dudes  Grin Grin

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 18:45:36 pm »

he's responsible for getting me into The Dead Kennedys!

and that is a good thing!!!

Sure... you can't have enough angry teenage music,,, even in your 40s.

Worm
DKK

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 18:58:44 pm »

Fabian,
Where do you find all this stuff?Huh  YEP Thats the guy in the Navy blue speedo.  He was HUGE.  I was not.  Thanks for posting that, I truly laughed out loud.
How about this week eh?  You got Lemmons, Worm, and Ramirez all at one time.  Pretty wierd huh?  I have to say Lemmons and Ramirez had INCREDIBLE cars in DKK.  My car that qualified for stickers was real nice but not even close to what those two guys had.  For instance, when I first started attending DKK meetings at Perrys Pizza, I was 16 (30 years ago) and drove a red 67 fastback.  They told me I could come to the meetings but there was no way my car would be voted in.  SO, I traded the fastback to Marty Cohen (who worked at Autohaus) for a pretty beat 56 with no interior or paint and a close ratio gear box tranny and stock 1600.  My parents freaked out on this.  Long story short, After a few months of paint and body and interior and detail work I was FINALLY voted in and was "allowed" to put the stickers in my windows.  Two weeks before Bug In (22-23??) my sisters bike fell on the rear fender and scratched it.  I had to take the stickers out untill it was fixed.  Thats right.  After a few years of scrubbing and polishing I sold the 56 and bought a 63 vert and just drove it.  It was a smokingly cool ride but not clean enough for stickers.  So I hung out with the boys and just raced the vert at Bug Ins etc...  Dont know if anyone remembers the 3 point roll cage and temporary "Worm racing" on the side of the car.  So, 3 cars and only one that was worthy of stickers and even then not even CLOSE to what Ramirez and Lemmons were driving.  They were mighty tough.   Worm.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 19:00:28 pm by Worm » Logged

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 19:00:08 pm »

Fabian,
Where do you find all this stuff?Huh

Fabs has almost every VW mag ever printed. He is the site historian.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 19:01:20 pm »

Hey Worm... I think that guy's thigh was bigger than your torso!  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: