The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 19:02:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351095 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My 54 bug
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: My 54 bug  (Read 28018 times)
jamiep_jamiep

« on: January 25, 2008, 12:41:30 pm »

Hi Guys,

I have recently bought a 54 already equipped with a Rancho pro street box (standard ratios), a 2276 motor, 42 x 37 044 round ports (soon to be changed - opinions?), webcam 86c, 10.5:1 CR, 48IDF's (may put some IDA's on). Runs a 2" narrowed CB beam up front, Bugpack shocks & CSP discs. SAW short axles out back, CB rear disc setup, AVO coil overs. Car runs really straight and technically is a credit to the prvious owner, but he wasn't much for the car looking pretty Wink just hard!

I intend to basically improve what I have and hopefully reduce its current best et (14.2) into the 13's. I'll be improving the bodywork (which looks better in the pics than it is!) and hopefully reducing the weight along the way with lexan windows, I have some f'glass wings and am going to try to locate or have made c/fibre bonnet & decklid. Interior will also come in for some change too.

If anyone recognises the car I would love to hear any further history on it!

Love the forum !!!! Massive inspiration.

oh, and a sneaky shot of my daily 64 bug, all original paint & panels etc. almost stock with the exception of a lowering job, and original empi engine trim kit & the wheels.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 13:25:53 pm by kaferboy » Logged

Glauco

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 18:43:18 pm »

nice car  Shocked
JS

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 12:34:57 pm »

Cool! Du you know what kind of header thatīs on the car? Love the tight fit against the rear valance!
Is it just me or are the tail lights mounted 3 inches too high on the fenders?

Signature.
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 13:08:50 pm »

Yeah, I think they are too.... any idea what height they are supposed to be at? I have new f/glass wings for it anyway, so it'll be nice to get them right first time on those!

Thanks for the kind words!

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 13:10:27 pm »

Cool! Du you know what kind of header thatīs on the car? Love the tight fit against the rear valance!

The header and silencer are both from VW Speedshop based in Manchester (UK). Full stainless. Oh and it sounds great too, but I don't think my neighbours are that fond of it!

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 10:51:19 am »

Wow, its been a long LONG time since I posted on here, but I've not been idle, well not entirely...

The body is coming along nicely, I hope to get some more pics soon, but basically apart from a couple of small bits of welding its nearly ready to go to my bro's paintshop for final prep and paint - although my slot in his diary is not for another 6 weeks.... until then I'll have to content myself with getting the 2276 rebuilt. The engine seized after I think using the wrong oil (too thin) and a lack of sufficient cooling - I was chasing an oil over pressure at the time. Lesson #1 learnt... Anyway, turned out to be the big end on one of the rods.

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 11:02:00 am »

So yesterday the engine parts went off to be checked over and machined/saved if possible by my local engineering chop, along with a full rebalance.

GreenTom

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 17:53:14 pm »

I'm looking frward to see this car on the street and streep again Smiley

Will You use VWSPEEDSHOP header and muffler? You could ubgrade to 70mm VWSS stainless big flange muffler loks grate and works grate.
I enjoyed to drive that car when Paul had it.
thumbs up for the project.

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 18:24:41 pm »

Thanks Tom,

Actually I'm going down to my local exhaust guy to have a dual queit pack made up, so if anyone out there wants a s/s speedshop turbo muffler drop me a line.

Thanks!

Jamie

GreenTom

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 18:28:57 pm »

ok will remember Smiley but there is quite a few on he shelwe Wink but I'll remeber.
good luck Smiley hope to see it on Big Bang Wink or Bug Jam.

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
peach_

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 15:43:57 pm »

Thanks Tom,

Actually I'm going down to my local exhaust guy to have a dual queit pack made up, so if anyone out there wants a s/s speedshop turbo muffler drop me a line.

Thanks!

Jamie

Jamie ill ring you later  Wink

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
alfie the monster

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 02:59:56 am »

Yeah, I think they are too.... any idea what height they are supposed to be at? I have new f/glass wings for it anyway, so it'll be nice to get them right first time on those!

Thanks for the kind words!

Take a tape measure to one of the shows and measure up Neal's oval rag  Wink

JG54 Grunherz
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 10:10:02 am »

Cheers for the offer of... neils car! I think it may take a turn around the block to make sure the lights are at the correct ht before taking measurements alfie!

haha... think he might have something to say about that. Good news though, I have managed to get hold of a diagram with the dims on - if anyone needs a copy drop me a line.

Update on the engine: machinist has let me know that the damage to the items was very light and I'll have it all back in my workshop later this week. I'm just glad the problems occured at tickover and not at 7,000 rpm.

alfie the monster

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 11:05:16 am »

You could measure my car if you like. It's a 61, so Neals would be a better bet  Wink

JG54 Grunherz
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 10:14:16 am »

Cheers. You & car at the Volksworld show?

alfie the monster

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 23:43:59 pm »

For sure! Are you getting the beers in then  Grin

JG54 Grunherz

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 23:52:35 pm »

What oil did you use during the run the engine seized?
peach_

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 20:56:49 pm »

For sure! Are you getting the beers in then  Grin

Is that a "Southen Shandy" for you then Alfie? Cheesy Wink

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

#CALLOOKDRAGS
peach_

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 20:58:50 pm »

What oil did you use during the run the engine seized?

I think he was using some thing fully Synthetic, think it was Lucas oil not sure. Undecided

#CALLOOKDRAGS
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 09:58:52 am »

Yup, fully synthetic, forget the brand now. I was oprifgnally running a valvoline mineral oil, but I just kept popping coolers and filters Sad.

Engine bits are back now, so I'm on the hunt for some cylinder heads.

Cool.

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 12:33:42 pm »

Well, thought I'd post up some pictures and n update; work has been going on, progressing slowly but surely.

Well, the only rust I could find on the bug was the rear bumper mounts which had been plated over to build up big beefy things - not very nice looking,

and by the time I cut them off I could see why they were so big - because there was very little metal underneath them! Cheesy

So the grinder came back out and did this:

Then this happened, which held things up a little (I dropped the grinder!):

Wleded in a repair panel ready for the hooky bumper mount itself (just the outer) to go on:

Work on the bug will be picking up over the coming weeks as I've rashly committed myself to having it at Big Bang!

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 12:40:33 pm »

Engine parts back from the machinists ready for a rebuild by Lee at Kraftwerk. Spec is going to be more or less the same, 2276cc Scat 82mm crank, 94mm B&P, Webcam 86C, heads are being modded a bit more and it'll now be wearing 48IDA's in place of the IDF's I used last year. I'll be detailing it all though as it looked a bit shabby last year.

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 10:02:52 am »

A little bit more progress, I've got some primer on the car now:

And my wheels came back from being sand blasted. Plan is to just give them a clear coat of satin to seal them and leave as is. I like em!:

And I must say a big thank you to Sam for sorting me the blasting - I owe you one dude!

Pas

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 13:43:00 pm »

I have some f'glass wings and am going to try to locate or have made c/fibre bonnet & decklid.

Hey Jamie

I think you cant go far wrong using John Abbots (Java) bonnets and decklids,he can have them laid up in whatever weight you want and the quality is really good Smiley I dont think he can do them in carbon but it's worth checking,anyway I think you will be surprised at the weight of the glass ones.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 13:46:39 pm by Pas » Logged

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
SteveW

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 13:47:48 pm »

I have a Java one on the '59 its really nice. It's a single skin so you have to work out a way of mounting it..

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 15:49:59 pm »

I've recently bought a java single skin bonnet, although I haven't actually seen it yet as its due to be delivered this weekend.

Not quite sure how to mount it myself yet, I have a few dzus fasteners knocking around, so thought I might use them. Or duct tape Wink :lol:

Cheers for the input!

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 08:49:54 am »

Been very busy in the garage and the bug is now nearly ready for some paint, was hoping to have it painted before heading down to sunny Cornwall on holiday this week, but it looks like I'll be missing that deadline. Been having a bitch with the aforementioned 'Java' bonnet. I have a few clues which make me believe it isn't Java, knowing Johns work I doubtn this is one of his. Basically, its not going on my car. May come in for a race car project though, so I'm not too concerned about it really. So, the dzus fastener tabs I've buzzed in place will be coming back off, which is a pita cos I've modified the rubber seal retainer and its basically fucked for normal use now... my four tab bonnet isn't too clever but its what I have to work with, so I've got aa bit more work to on that now, just when I could do with LESS work.

Also, welded where the previous owner trimmed the engine bay lips to clear carbs/air filters, apparently blindfolded. I may end up trimming again, i don't know, but at least it will be a clean sheet to make a neat job of it.

The engine bits have gone away to Lee at KraftWerk VW and he's prepped my case this week, I should have the long block back for my return from holiday...

So, hopefully have it in primer this week, if not then its a coupla weeks away.

SteveW

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 11:31:53 am »

How come the bonnet doesn't fit? With ours the top needed gently re-shaping with a linishing wheel so it would sit nice, it definately wouldn't have fit in its from the mould state..

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 11:47:14 am »

Hi Steve, it too needs a bit taking off the top as it doesn't follow the correct curve as the scuttle panel, it also appears to have much more of a 'raise' in the middle, which has the added effect of drawing in the sides, making it too narrow. One thing I'm going to try it to heat the centre section and weight it down in the midle to try and spread it a little.

Was yorus a Java bonnet? If so, was there evidence of the mould having been taken from a rusty bonnet? up the top where they always go... I had a look at the one on the Java stand and it didn't look the way mine does. Same colour gel coat, but thats about it....

Loved the bug btw, nice one.

SteveW

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 11:59:06 am »

Erm I'm not sure to be honest, I offered it up and noticed it needing work so as Chris Isaacs was fitting the dzus fasteners I asked him to make it fit. He never mentioned it but maybe that's all why ours has so many dzus fasteners on it! It definately wouldn't sit right without all the mounting points on it as we have to flex the bonnet even now to so get it dzus'd on. Yeah its a Java bonnet, i'd definately use one again for a race car but for a street car I'd probably just go with a steel bonnet.

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: