The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 19:02:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351095 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My 54 bug
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: My 54 bug  (Read 28016 times)
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 08:44:24 am »

Well last night after further playing about with the bonnet I decided I definitely didn't like the fit, so its off... I cut all the tabs for the dzus fasteners and now I need to prep around them again. Also decided I wasn't happy with some aspects of the front end, so I've bare metalled it.

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 09:31:02 am »

Well, after working my ass off spending every available minute trying to get the car painted and ready in time for DD1 on May 17th I've come to realise that its not going to happen - the choice was fairly simple - paint it, knowingly unhappy with the prep work or throw a coat of primer on the thing and drag its sorry ass to the strip as is. Needless to say, a choice between not racing and racing was a fairly easy one for me to make, so I went ahead and shot some primer on the shell and started building her back up last night. I'll probably run in primer for the rest of the season then teardown at the end of September and finish off the paint and prep work with a bit more time at hand.

Here's a couple of pics:

peach_

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 18:37:24 pm »

Well, after working my ass off spending every available minute trying to get the car painted and ready in time for DD1 on May 17th I've come to realise that its not going to happen - the choice was fairly simple - paint it, knowingly unhappy with the prep work or throw a coat of primer on the thing and drag its sorry ass to the strip as is. Needless to say, a choice between not racing and racing was a fairly easy one for me to make, so I went ahead and shot some primer on the shell and started building her back up last night. I'll probably run in primer for the rest of the season then teardown at the end of September and finish off the paint and prep work with a bit more time at hand.

Here's a couple of pics:

Looking Hard as nails dude, just need some nipple Caps for those 356 Wheels  Grin Cool Cool

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
67worshipper

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2009, 18:56:11 pm »

after working my ass off.........................................theres plenty of it eh jamie Grin its comin on mate keep at it Smiley

vw hot rod heaven
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2009, 19:56:19 pm »

after working my ass off.........................................theres plenty of it eh jamie Grin its comin on mate keep at it Smiley

Hahaha you got me there man.... Grin  Grin  Cheesy It would take a LONG time to work this thing away!

alfie the monster

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2009, 11:55:41 am »

I didn't know you allowed rat lookers in the SAS  Wink

JG54 Grunherz
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009, 08:45:46 am »

I didn't know you allowed rat lookers in the SAS  Wink
Aaagghh, NOOOOOO!!! Yeah, I'm not really a rat looker kind of person. But I can't not race at the drag Day now can I Alfie?! Grin btw hows the job hunting going? I just got put on short time last week... sucks eh? It's really put the brakes on spending on the car unfortunately... another reason for shelving painting it tbh.

alfie the monster

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2009, 12:36:29 pm »

Rather better to run it in primer for a year and have some fun in it than paint it and not be happy with the end result  Grin

Job hunt is, er yeah, bit of a smoking hole where the motor trade is/was. I've a couple of irons in the fire right now, not sure if they'll come off though. I don't think I'll be working for a manufacturer again in a hurry, as they're all laying staff off right now  Undecided

Sucks that you've been put on short time, 2 of my friends have had the same lately! Tempted to look at opportunities abroad for a year or so. Go to the middle east, earn a pile of cash and come back home when things are better here!

JG54 Grunherz
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2009, 14:37:50 pm »

I could look after the bug for you  Grin Grin Grin

alfie the monster

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009, 15:22:59 pm »

hahahahahaha! No  Kiss

If I was to work abroad, the car would be coming with me  Grin

JG54 Grunherz
peach_

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 23:35:57 pm »

hahahahahaha! No  Kiss

Ill look after it, iv got a bigger garage than jamie  Cheesy Grin Wink

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 09:15:57 am »

The short block is now together, just waiting on a couple of other bits then I'll be building the rest up next week.

And also mounted my rear lights at (I hope) the correct height.

alfie the monster

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2009, 09:51:40 am »

hahahahahaha! No  Kiss

Sorry Peach, a) it's a mans car and b) no gingers allowed  Wink

JG54 Grunherz
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2009, 10:23:04 am »

hahahahahaha! No  Kiss

Sorry Peach, a) it's a mans car and b) no gingers allowed  Wink

Cheesy Grin Shocked Shocked

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 13:47:58 pm »

Well with the car being in primer I've decided to have a bit of tongue in cheek fun with it - I used to have an awesome cartoon poster, I think a VW trends one, of a slammed type 87 war era bug with Afrika Korps insignia on it, so decided to do something along those lines....

Had a look around the web to find what I was looking for, and while I didn't find the poster itself I did turn up this which gave me an idea of what I wanted to do:

Which lead me to do this:

A bit more to do still, I will be putting a bit of signwriting on there to thank Lee @ Kraftwerk for his help on the bug so far, plus I have an 'SAS RennWagens' script, and possibly even a name...

Any ideas for the name welcome! I was thinking maybe Rommel's racer?

DKK - Lisa
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2009, 00:16:01 am »

Hey Kaferboy..... Lovin' those heart shaped tail lights Wink       
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2009, 08:18:49 am »

Cheers! So when are you going to have a project to post up in here Lisa?! Grin

DKK - Lisa
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2009, 14:46:47 pm »

OMG, you never know!  I have been out of it for nearly 25 years but I am quickly finding that it is still in my blood.  We'll see........................ Wink  I'm just having a blast reconnecting with all of my old DKK friends right now and just "remembering" all of those great times.  Going to Bug-In this weekend in Fontana for my own little reunion.  I hope you have as much fun building yours as I did back then. 

So I see you were lucky enough to buy your tail lights on your project.  I had to hunt mine down.  Those were quite difficult to find even back then.    

Lisa
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 14:55:13 pm by DKK Lisa » Logged
tikimadness

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2009, 16:01:14 pm »

It is looking better every time I watch your topic kaferboy.Top notch.

Do you have any dimensions as where to drill for the taillights?I found a set of housings all I need now is the mounting brackets and the lenses.

Cheers,Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
streetvw

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2009, 17:56:39 pm »

more inspiration
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2009, 09:04:18 am »

It is looking better every time I watch your topic kaferboy.Top notch.

Do you have any dimensions as where to drill for the taillights?I found a set of housings all I need now is the mounting brackets and the lenses.

Cheers,Michael

Hey Michael, thanks for the kind words! Re: the lights, I have a dimensioned picture that I got from thesamba.com , but I have to say I ended up ignoring the dimensions as it just didn't look right to me - they ended up the correct height but too close to the decklid/valance area. I have a book by keith Seume called "Vw Beetle: a Comprehensive Illustrated History" which is a fairly large format book and it has some really good shots of A 53  heart tail light bug square on the rear which I just sort of figurted out the position from.

Here's the picture from thesamba:

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2009, 09:05:24 am »

more inspiration

Thats cool!!! In fact, is that double sided? I'm sure the pictures I'm thinking of is somehow related to that one! Its the same caroonist I think anyway.

tikimadness

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2009, 13:18:10 pm »

Thanks Kaferboy. Yes I heard of a book like that but the autor doesn't ring a bell Grin.
I will have a look at the picture in that book and will try the dimensions from the samba.But first I'll try and get a set of brackets for the taillights tomorrow in Hangover euhh I mean Hannover Cheesy.

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2009, 13:34:46 pm »

Good luck getting your lights!

One thing I noticed on that cartoon - how cool are the banana-overider style nerf bars?!

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2009, 23:13:38 pm »

Hmmmm, been a long day today and I'm TIRED. Just rolled in from the garage. Finished putting the long block together today with my bro Lee and then got it back to my place this evening. Didn't fancy watching britains got talent (it hasn't!) so went back out and did a trial fit of the tinware and the remainder of the components. Have hit a couple of snags/clearance issues, so I'll be having a look at that tomorrow. Couldn't resist taking a picture before I pulled it all back apart though! And also would like to take the opportunity to recommend Eurcarb for jetting, I ordered a bunch of parts for the DCOE yesterday and here they were this evening waiting for me. If you need weber parts they're very good.

64RCR this setup may seem familiar!

gyles

I'm too old for this shit.

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2009, 10:22:14 am »

Now that looks like it could be a whole loada fun Wink Grin Cool

F.W.R.

ET 12.5s on road treads, 12.4s on slicks @ 109.95mph.  Shakey, 29/05/11
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2009, 10:35:40 am »

Now that looks like it could be a whole loada fun Wink Grin Cool

or trouble Wink

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2009, 13:22:13 pm »

OK bit more info, I match ported the excellently tig welded twin port end castings (thanks Deano)

Here's the manifolds part way through:

Mocking up the install showed that the exhaust manifold fouled the alternator, so this morning I got up and stripped it back down again and give the alt. a bit of judicial clearancing on the outer ring.

tried it all back on again, and went a bit further and everything now fits hunky dory. So now its time to strip down AGAIN and fit the long block to the car, then another trial fit to see what does/doesn't clear the body then hopefully I'll be able to build it up for the last time.
Here's what it looks like right now:

64 RCR

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2009, 16:14:35 pm »

Looking uber cool JP!! Grin

If I can help out any just let me know dude...

Respect  Cool
67worshipper

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2009, 22:39:20 pm »

jamie you never said hairdryer in the plans Shocked cool mate Cool

vw hot rod heaven
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: