The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 16:38:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351095 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My 54 bug
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: My 54 bug  (Read 27953 times)
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2009, 08:49:31 am »

Cheers guys...

Barry, the turbo system wasa  bit of a last minute decision as I was putting the long block together with my bro. We were talking about CR's and the turbo system lying around in the garage got brought into the equation, and if anyone knows my brther Lee they know how pursuasive he can be hahaha Cheesy

Anyway, engine is in and I've mocked up the turbo system for (I hope!) the last time - its been together and apart about a dozen times now! - so tonight I'll take it off for the last time so I can finish off the jobs in the engine bay.

Still got to sort out a return fuel line to the tank, the accelerator cable, the oiling system, the ignition system and a bunch of other stuff. When you say it quick like that it doesn't sound too bad - but the detailed list is 2 A4 sheets packed with work. And I'm dragging it to the strip in 11 days time!!!!!!

alfie the monster

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2009, 10:58:32 am »

So what, the copnversation went like this...

Lee ' Why don't you turbo it whilst it's apart?'

Jamie 'Oh go on then....'

Wink

JG54 Grunherz
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2009, 11:21:00 am »

Yeah, I put up a real fight, just like that!!!!

64 RCR

« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2009, 21:02:52 pm »

Alfie,

So as to avoid bench racing Jamie, let me let you into a little background info on this setup.

I sold the turbo kit to me cousin....as you do, Its an old Dave Kawell setup, and not to rub salt into any wound in any way, it ran a 13.2 in a stock weight Oval with a 1914, Engle 110 and unported 041 heads at 8psi of boost.

Therefore, hopefully, with his 2276 runnig 8:1cr it would be nice/probable to see this bug in the 12`s, that is if JP hits the loud pedal properly!! Roll Eyes

Failing that, then some mild persuasion may be.......by winding the wastegate open a bit further for some more horses... Happy Days  Wink
alfie the monster

« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2009, 21:36:10 pm »

Would be good to see a 12 out of it  Cool

I'm hoping I'll be able to buy a pro drag and get it fitted before the season's out. Would be nice to see if I can get a 12 out of mine alongside Jamie's  Grin

JG54 Grunherz
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2009, 08:56:01 am »

I have to learn to drive first!!!!

Jamie 'Chunk' Palmer, officially the worse drag racer in the Rennwagens, even managing a launch fail on the street in the Volvo.  Cheesy

As for my goals for the drag racing they're pretty simple:

1. Get the thing to the startline
2. get it across the finish line, in one piece and the right way up

If I manage that I'll be happy.

peach_

« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2009, 20:15:09 pm »

I have to learn to drive first!!!!

Jamie 'Chunk' Palmer, officially the worse drag racer in the Rennwagens, even managing a launch fail on the street in the Volvo.  Cheesy

As for my goals for the drag racing they're pretty simple:

1. Get the thing to the startline
2. get it across the finish line, in one piece and the right way up

If I manage that I'll be happy.

Thats True!

In the Words of Paul'y B "Jamie that Launch was Shit!"

Cheesy What a wicked weekend that was  Grin

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2009, 08:31:09 am »

Well I'm starting to get somewhere now...

Got the MSD system mounted & wired up last night, I just need to plumb the boost line to it, made a carb support and a spacer for the MSD dissy, refitted the turbo for the last time with copper gaskets and about a half million other little niggly jobs too.

I had to take a picture cos (to me) it just looked so cool:

Anyway, tonight I'm on the fuel system, running a return back to the tank and modifying the accelerator cable to run to the new carb location.

RUSS74GHIA

VWSP163

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2009, 11:16:07 am »

That is just too cool Jamie.

Shame that mine's a daily driver - wild mods are a bit of a no-no, eveng running repairs can be a pita.

On another note, my 40DRLA rebuild has gone bad, that jammed mixture screw got the better of me, so although I've still got a pair, they're not matched. Looking at a pair of 40IDF's at the weekend, at least I can still use all the harware. I've got a buyer for my single set up, so that should ease the pain a little

OK, own up, who edited my sig?
beetletom

« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2009, 13:54:48 pm »

where did you get the beige primer from?

is it army 'sand desert' paint???
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2009, 20:57:32 pm »

Cheers guys!

Tom, the paint is actually barcoat and is used to seal old paint.

kraftwerk

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2009, 10:56:59 am »

well, no more progress reports yet mate!! i suppose everyone knows the probs we had on the start line with the msd frying, so, have you done anything else yet?Huh  i am currently in talks  with raceparts-direct to see if they can sort out my msd box, failing that jamies is gonna have to go in for surgery the fifth time and sell another kidney!!! how many has this freak got???!!!!! Grin

later cheeze!

Leeps
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2009, 16:49:20 pm »

Well I've been parts hunting to gradually replace your turbo setup bit by bit... sounds like I have cam, lifters and carb sorted, my ignition setup is all there (not fitted), the fuel system is all sorted now, so all I need is a turbo some heads abd an exhaust manifold (when funds permit).

What about Cream Pie?Huh Has that got an in da werks thread yet?

gyles

I'm too old for this shit.

« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2009, 18:58:29 pm »

Looking like it's getting there.  Bug Jam?  Start AND Finish Wink

F.W.R.

ET 12.5s on road treads, 12.4s on slicks @ 109.95mph.  Shakey, 29/05/11
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2009, 09:53:30 am »

Not at bug Jam I'm afraid dude.... I will be going, but I hav to zip out for a couple of hours on the Saturday to pick up my other half, which puts paid to any racing.

Sad Ah well.....

gyles

I'm too old for this shit.

« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2009, 20:39:02 pm »

Bummer Cry
Tell her to bring a map and compass and wear some stout shoes.  Then you can carry on racing Grin

F.W.R.

ET 12.5s on road treads, 12.4s on slicks @ 109.95mph.  Shakey, 29/05/11
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2009, 16:45:24 pm »

Bummer Cry
Tell her to bring a map and compass and wear some stout shoes.  Then you can carry on racing Grin
Hahaha....

She'd love that... she would, of course, kill me.

Shocked

JamieL

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2009, 15:18:42 pm »

Hi Jamie,

As discussed - a pic of the inlet side of my old efi end castings - I can't see that there's much point in porting the head end, unless you do something about the tiny inlet side - especially paying attention to removing the big sharp "step" and then smoothing the transition into the 2 runners to the head...

Hope everything else goes to plan nicely...
cheers,
James
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2009, 15:36:30 pm »

Thanks for that James, and nice to meet you. I'll break the die grinder out!!

Cheers
Jamie

kraftwerk

« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2009, 20:22:14 pm »

do it!!! Grin
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 00:37:16 am by kraftwerk » Logged
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2009, 14:00:59 pm »

Just a bit of an update, car's working pretty well, I've raced it at a few events lately and managed a best of 12.52 @112 mph. I'm chuffed to bits with it! Now that the season is over (for me anyway) I'll be updating on here as I finish off the paintwork, redo the turbo pipework and a host of little things that have niggled me about the car for a while  now.....

yeti

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2009, 19:00:00 pm »

nice one dude, good times and you know i love your car! look forward to seeing the next phase and to some good racing at york next year! Wink

steve
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2009, 13:18:40 pm »

Bit of a sad update on this topic, as I've had to sell the bug due to recently being made redundant.

I've managed to find a bit of new work though, so a new project 61 bug arrived at my workshop last night. It will be a joint project with my brother, Lee, and will use the same engine as the Oval, which wasn't part of the sale, but other than that its all going to be new.

Its the traditional UK bug, in that it requires the bottom 6" of sheet metal replacing the whole way around the car! Fun & games....

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: