The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 13:38:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  my latest project 1962 COW-LOOK bug
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Print
Author Topic: my latest project 1962 COW-LOOK bug  (Read 126627 times)
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #300 on: November 18, 2010, 05:18:42 am »

Doing some plumbing from resevoire to mastercylinder. Stainless tube i welded together for master. And I used a oval fluid tank or can and made a little alum tray to keep any drips off paint

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #301 on: November 18, 2010, 05:20:30 am »

Mocked up, And now take it apart and clean and paint .

Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #302 on: November 18, 2010, 09:30:10 am »

I am impressed .....AGAIN...!!... Grin

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
low oval
DKK

« Reply #303 on: November 18, 2010, 09:39:15 am »

that's it!  i'm not doing anything else on my bug till you finish this car.  Or at least email me before you do these mods so I can see if I want to wait.
Nice job!

"and that's when the cops showed up"
vwcab

peter

« Reply #304 on: November 18, 2010, 12:41:15 pm »

that's it!  i'm not doing anything else on my bug till you finish this car.  Or at least email me before you do these mods so I can see if I want to wait.
Nice job!
X 2,so many neat tricks and modifications.

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #305 on: November 18, 2010, 16:21:30 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Don't mean to be a spoiler, but you know this limits the function of having a dual circuit M/C, right?
Someone needs to make a stealth reservoir with two chambers and two feed hoses to provide fluid to each port. In case of catastophic failure of one circuit, there would still be a supply of fluid to the remaining circuit.
Otherwise, outstanding attention to detail and craftsmanship. Well done Danny.
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #306 on: November 18, 2010, 16:53:48 pm »

Nice job!
Anything else?  Have you been wrenching on the Oval?  Huh
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #307 on: November 18, 2010, 17:20:23 pm »

Don't mean to be a spoiler, but you know this limits the function of having a dual circuit M/C, right?
Someone needs to make a stealth reservoir with two chambers and two feed hoses to provide fluid to each port. In case of catastophic failure of one circuit, there would still be a supply of fluid to the remaining circuit.

Something like that? : Wink (not my work btw, but good stuff!)

Right, I finally done something thats worth posting up!  Grin

The first part of this was siamising two brake fluid resevoirs together, as the car will be duel circuit, and I didn't want to fit a later plastic reservoiur.

I was actually really pleased with how this looked.  Smiley

Next up was to cut the wheel well to accept it, and adjust the pressing. I was really nervous about doing as if I messsed it up their was no going back!  Cry

Anyway here's how it turned out! I think i'm happy with it!  Grin

Anyway, just thought I'd give you a bit more of a update! Smiley

Dude  Cool

And nice work Danny, as always!

Glitter don't make you faster.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #308 on: November 18, 2010, 20:04:26 pm »

Thanks for your input and I see what your talking about, But I dont see this part failing and starveing any fluid. If I'm correct duel circuit meaning theres a plunger for each front and rear brakes that fluid is being pushed. instead of one plunger for both front and rear,Thats what should be of concern in brake fluid being lost.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 20:05:59 pm by danny gabbard » Logged

61SNRF

« Reply #309 on: November 18, 2010, 20:18:43 pm »

The system is a failsafe in the event of some extreme failures and will probably never be tested in real life, so it's splitting hairs anyway Smiley.
The idea behind the extra capacity of a separete reservoir is to ensure there is a adequate supply of fluid for the remaining good circuit. In your design, if there is a failure of one circuit there is little fluid in reserve for the remaining circuit.
I think a small improvement would be to put the Y right behind the reservoir so that you at least had the pipes and hoses to retain a small supply of fluid for each circuit indepenant of the other.
gibber!

« Reply #310 on: November 18, 2010, 20:19:45 pm »

Thanks for your input and I see what your talking about, But I dont see this part failing and starveing any fluid. If I'm correct duel circuit meaning theres a plunger for each front and rear brakes that fluid is being pushed. instead of one plunger for both front and rear,Thats what should be of concern in brake fluid being lost.

I suppose you're right.
As long as there is only a failure in one of the circuits i.e. front or rear, then the other should retain the fluid already in the brake lines and still function.
Normally dual circuits are basically two independent systems with two reservoirs just contained together.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 20:21:17 pm by gibber! » Logged

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
61SNRF

« Reply #311 on: November 18, 2010, 20:30:55 pm »

A long standing design philosophy is Form follows Function. If you're going to change or modify any system then it should perform as good or better than the system it replaces.
Then make it look purdy Wink.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #312 on: November 18, 2010, 20:39:38 pm »

The system is a failsafe in the event of some extreme failures and will probably never be tested in real life, so it's splitting hairs anyway Smiley.
The idea behind the extra capacity of a separete reservoir is to ensure there is a adequate supply of fluid for the remaining good circuit. In your design, if there is a failure of one circuit there is little fluid in reserve for the remaining circuit.
I think a small improvement would be to put the Y right behind the reservoir so that you at least had the pipes and hoses to retain a small supply of fluid for each circuit indepenant of the other.

I think on the '67s they had a common reservoir with a little "dam" in it to separate the circuits. They could share the fluid up to the level of the dam.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #313 on: November 18, 2010, 21:59:29 pm »

I just made due with what I had. This deal is very low risk , you could probably cork the end of tube and drive it a hundred thousand miles and never have a problem. And if everybody followed the form and function rule you would not see 145s in the front of a lowered vw . Sorry if I sound like I am ranting.

61SNRF

« Reply #314 on: November 19, 2010, 04:16:16 am »

No, you're right. I knew someone would say something so I threw it out there.
It might have something to do with the original Federal Safety requirements that there was a complete separate system for each circuit. In actuality, I see little need for a large reserve of fluid in a drum brake car. Disc brake cars may require a little more reserve due to pad wear displacing the fluid.
What I would like to see is an early reservoir split apart and a divider inserted down the middle with two outlets on the bottom. This would be a stealth way to hide the dual reservoirs.
Running 145's is a little different than adapting a late model brake system to an early car too. I still believe in the three F's.

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #315 on: January 12, 2011, 05:26:33 am »

Trying to get some loose ends like plumbing and electrical sorted out. I ended up with a faucet fuel pump and made a bracket to rubber mount. Painted and ready for install. And a bosch swith to turn on and off, Just want to thank paul or (plastic back) for switch !! God I hope this is DOT approved !!!!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:46:05 am by danny gabbard » Logged

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #316 on: January 12, 2011, 05:31:54 am »

Few more shots of painted and installed. And will use braided line from pump to stainless bulk head fittings in tunnel of pan.

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #317 on: January 12, 2011, 05:42:48 am »

Few things in trunk that I finished. 1st is a little plate to locate spare from slideing around and rubbing paint. and the finished brake fluid reservoir finished and painted and mounted.

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #318 on: January 12, 2011, 05:44:55 am »

And the alum knob I am going to use to make key for hella battery cut-off swith to look like heater knob.

58vw

« Reply #319 on: January 12, 2011, 05:53:50 am »

that is trick....very cool idea...awesome work Grin

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
Chris W

« Reply #320 on: January 12, 2011, 06:07:40 am »

Great work as always!! I like the way you did the brake line through the tunnel to the passenger side.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:11:40 am by Chris W » Logged
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #321 on: January 16, 2011, 23:03:46 pm »

DG,

Awesome work on the details!
That fuel pump mount is the TITS! Shocked ... super clean. And, the stock switch is the only thing to use ... back when I built my '67 race car I used lighted knobs (like emergency/defroster(green means GO!) flasher) so I'd know when everything was on; one for the ignition and one for fuel ... worked GREAT.
Also love the knob for the main cutoff ... just SUPER clean, as always.
TxT

you can barely see the green lensed knobs ...π

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #322 on: January 17, 2011, 17:06:18 pm »

By the way, what tool and/or process do you use to roll the edge over on the fuel pump mounting bracket?

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #323 on: January 17, 2011, 19:54:37 pm »

Thanks tom and chris, Tom the process is called hammer forming. You make a pattern and transfer and cut out to blocks of alum the shape of part to be, Can also be made of hardwood ! I usually only use hard wood on soft materials like alum , brass , copper. So now blocks are cut and holes drilled for bolting blocks together, Same holes in this case that pump will mount to. Now add a peice of material that part is going to be made into and scribe around blocks with dividers to get the sides or material to be hammerd down, and go make parts. DO NOT try and hammer complete in one hit, Go around several times turning edge very slow, So material dos not ball up. Again thanks Tom, Or brother of JACK ! That shot glass is working out fine!

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #324 on: February 25, 2011, 22:42:43 pm »

any updates dany Huh

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #325 on: March 11, 2011, 00:45:55 am »

Hi fabs, Here is a little work I have been doing on the running boards. First pictures are of the untouched new running boards that to me dont fit that well !

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #326 on: March 11, 2011, 00:51:17 am »

Well as we can all see, They are a bit short on the ends!!! So first thing is to make a pattern of what there suppose be. So I made alum ends and trimed them to fit, Later I will overlay them on added areas welded to running boards. And trim and turn a new 90 degree flange on all the ends.

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #327 on: March 11, 2011, 00:54:05 am »

Now I will cut the ends off and weld filler strip on the ends. And a sample before and after.

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #328 on: March 11, 2011, 00:56:03 am »

Now for the finished parts fit to car.

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #329 on: March 11, 2011, 01:03:29 am »

Couple close ups of front fenders and of before and after rear corners
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:05:56 am by danny gabbard » Logged