The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:14:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350685 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Colours, Help!!! I can't stop changing my mind on paint.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Colours, Help!!! I can't stop changing my mind on paint.  (Read 4964 times)
BossHogg76

« on: August 06, 2013, 10:48:57 am »

Well I'm going to throw this open to the discerning clientele of the Cal Look Lounge. I am stuck with what colour to paint my project.  Angry

When I started this project my initial thought was VW Sea Blue, with a Burgundy leather interior.  I have however been stuck with what colour carpet to go with this combination

The next thoughts were to stay with blue but look at what else was out there. KS "Bluey" was another colour I liked, the clearness of the colour and it's vibrancy appealed, but I feel that, that colour would always be synonymous with that car. 

So another colour has popped up. Porsche Torquise Blue as used on Jerry Sienfelds 993 Turbo. The only problem is there are numerous shots of this car as it look different in every bloomin one !! Cheesy

So here are some pics below, along with the wheels that I'll be using, and if it makes any difference it will have full trim.

modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 12:57:49 pm »

I'm gonna guess you're an Aussie (Mueller sticker on the window  Wink).
If that's so, then Ford Oz colours are much easier for the painters to find than VW colours it seems. The colour I have in mind was used on Falcons in the '70s, it's called "Blaze Blue", and looks excellent with steel rims .....or silver mags, especially that style. I had an XD Fairmont with "pursuit" rims back in the day. Now I'm showing my age!  Cheesy
A google check will give an idea of colour........
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ford+blaze+blue&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=N-QAUuDAIsPSkAWy6IGYAw&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=775
mg

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 17:33:32 pm »

Have you looked at Mexico blue, its an old 911 color.
Mustang grabber blue is close...
BossHogg76

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 17:39:18 pm »

I'm gonna guess you're an Aussie (Mueller sticker on the window  Wink).
If that's so, then Ford Oz colours are much easier for the painters to find than VW colours it seems. The colour I have in mind was used on Falcons in the '70s, it's called "Blaze Blue", and looks excellent with steel rims .....or silver mags, especially that style. I had an XD Fairmont with "pursuit" rims back in the day. Now I'm showing my age!  Cheesy
A google check will give an idea of colour........
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ford+blaze+blue&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=N-QAUuDAIsPSkAWy6IGYAw&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=775

Lol no no most definitely British, the pic was a car I found online. I'll have a look at the others you've mentioned. Thanks

Edit that blazer blue looks bob on!!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 17:41:44 pm by BossHogg76 » Logged
Russell

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 23:03:38 pm »

Stop right there...... sounds like meat loaf song !  Grin

Rob sorry But not digging the blaze blue, it will look like a custom colour on a cal look bug.

if your going with red interior, you only have 3 choices IMHO, Red, Black or maybe White.

However if you uses red down the sides with a plade centre you will open it up to more choice.

Let me throw a curve ball at you..... what about Palm Green......... its a VW colour and I've never seen it on a bug but I think its a brilliant colour, I was going to paint my type 3 panel back that colour but was persuaded to go wit the original grey of the type 3 while cool, I wish I had stuck to my own thoughts.....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php

Best Regards

Russell
chopper476

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 22:35:54 pm »

check out the colours that come on the new fiat 500, almost every single one ive seen ive thought the colour looked great. nice subtle pastel blues/yellows/creams and a few nice metallics. worth checking the colour chart on them Smiley
neil68

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 01:10:09 am »

L620 Savanna Beige also looks good with a red or burgundy interior...

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Gaz1

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 12:25:40 pm »

That pic was taken when i owned it,the colour is supposed to be Laguna blue but i think it's had a slight tint,when i bought some laguna blue paint for it there was too much difference to use it, so i took something off the car to have it matched  Smiley
UltraOrange67-2443

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 12:33:56 pm »

Gulf blue with gunmetal wheels  Wink

1967 1200 2920cc EFI
BossHogg76

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 02:55:18 am »

Stop right there...... sounds like meat loaf song !  Grin

Rob sorry But not digging the blaze blue, it will look like a custom colour on a cal look bug.

if your going with red interior, you only have 3 choices IMHO, Red, Black or maybe White.

However if you uses red down the sides with a plade centre you will open it up to more choice.

Let me throw a curve ball at you..... what about Palm Green......... its a VW colour and I've never seen it on a bug but I think its a brilliant colour, I was going to paint my type 3 panel back that colour but was persuaded to go wit the original grey of the type 3 while cool, I wish I had stuck to my own thoughts.....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php

I take the point about the blaze blue, not loving the Palm green though, at this rate I could be putting it back to the Java Green with a tan interior.

L620 Savanna Beige also looks good with a red or burgundy interior...

Hmm i do like Savanna Biege, but there seems to be a fair few out there all wearing detailed fuchs. I think I'll give it a miss

check out the colours that come on the new fiat 500, almost every single one ive seen ive thought the colour looked great. nice subtle pastel blues/yellows/creams and a few nice metallics. worth checking the colour chart on them Smiley

I will give it a look, thanks chopper

That pic was taken when i owned it,the colour is supposed to be Laguna blue but i think it's had a slight tint,when i bought some laguna blue paint for it there was too much difference to use it, so i took something off the car to have it matched  Smiley

Thanks for the info Gaz, i think that with the colour being synonymous with that particular bug, I will steer clear of it.

Gulf blue with gunmetal wheels  Wink

Interesting could maybe gunmetal the spokes of my Enkei's, leave a polished lip...food for thought.

Thanks for all your help, will have to give it a lot more thought.  Angry  Grin
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 10:17:45 am »

A custom plain colour would be fine for cal-look, choose what you want.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Russell

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 00:47:30 am »

What about vw oak green !

Best Regards

Russell
BossHogg76

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 13:12:34 pm »

What about vw oak green !

I started looking at the greens after the other one you mentioned. I'm liking the look of L240 Agave Green.
iowa mark

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 18:14:29 pm »

'78 Ford truck spinnaker blue. Has a touch of gray to it.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: