The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 22:07:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350832 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Who uses their big cc bugs as a daily drive?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Who uses their big cc bugs as a daily drive?  (Read 1835 times)
jamiep_jamiep

« on: January 28, 2008, 11:40:11 am »

Just considering selling my daily bug and pressing my 2276cc Oval into service as a daily driver - work & back is approx 25 mile round trip.

Anyone have opinions or experience on doing this?

Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 17:56:09 pm »

My current 2165 gets driven approx 90-100 miles a week in work commute and errands, unless it's storming. Much of my commute is canyon, 2-lane twisty roads, and a little bit of city streets. The alternative is the freeway, where people are out for blood. Anyway, this engine has been well suited to this drive, and the long drive to Orange Co from my place once a month or so for Nicks Burgers. I backed the ratio down on the rockers, increased size of header and muffler and decreased venturi size during the teething days of the motor, and after a good tune up last week, is good for another 6 months. I think key to commuting in a hot rod VW is too keep up on maintenance, and keep temps down (oil under 200F), and not going extreme on anything.
Have fun

Jim
ESH

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 18:42:14 pm »

My 2332 was built to be my daily driver and was used as such, initially for a commute that worked out as a little over 30 miles there and back but then I switched jobs and since then I haven’t used it as much though the engine size/combo would not be an issue in itself if I wanted to use it again. For a while I was using it 2-3 days a week on a trip that was 52 miles each way and whilst dodging traffic was fun the petrol bills weren’t plus there are better cars to do that kind of mileage in for many reasons. More recently I might use it every now and then for work but it’s a bit awkward as we have a multi-story car park and it sets off all the alarms, to get one of the few outside spots I’d have to be in at 6am and as much as I like it it’s not so much fun to drive that that would seem worth while!

Smiley
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 02:55:57 am »

My old roomate did. 2276, IDA's, Cylde heads, Berg 5, ran 12's and drove it EVERYWHERE- including a couple trips to SoCal for (the first of the new) HotVWs Drag Day and the Classic that same year. It was 117 degrees when we crossed the AZ/CA border that June... the oil temp was only 100 degrees warmer than that. Traveling at about 80-85mph the whole way.... we were stinkin nasty sweaty pigs by the time we rolled into the DQ!!  Cheesy Cheesy

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: