The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 00:42:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  What oil can i use in my new racing engine?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What oil can i use in my new racing engine?  (Read 6517 times)
haldex201

« on: January 29, 2008, 20:53:54 pm »

My new engine is still in the stand but i have serious thouts about what oil i can use in it, i hope that some one in here will talk about there problems with the Cam and lifters and what the have done with the problem i hope to run about 11000 rpm with it. It´s only 72mm in stroke. On till now i have been using Quaker State 20W-50 mineral Racing with no problems. 

haldex201

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 17:59:47 pm »

Here is the old motor i have been running with, cam FK 89 was new, but 15yeas old, std liftes with Chevy k400 springs Ti retainers Rockers from GB 1:1,5 no problem to run to 10000 rpm.
And no problem with the oil, cam etc.

The new motor wil be with the same cam but new, stil std liftes, but the spring will be chevy K800.
Some in here must now how too stay with an good cam after a lot of races.
Best regards
Haldex201
I hope to here from some of you!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 22:13:15 pm by haldex201 » Logged
Udo

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:40:44 am »

My new engine is still in the stand but i have serious thouts about what oil i can use in it, i hope that some one in here will talk about there problems with the Cam and lifters and what the have done with the problem i hope to run about 11000 rpm with it. It´s only 72mm in stroke. On till now i have been using Quaker State 20W-50 mineral Racing with no problems. 

I think you are right with the 20-50 oil , every mineral oil is ok . You can not save lifter and cam with special oils .
My opinion

Udo

haldex201

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 20:05:01 pm »

Udo i hope that you are haven the right answers, but if i talk to some of the boys with high revs engines they have problems because there is no Zink in the oil, all the new cams is higher quality of steel that the old one, and when they have taken all the bad stof for the nature out of the oil, Zink etc. "then the problems came".
I now that Quaker State is a good oil but is it ok? Is there some stof on the market, so it will be better for cam and liftes?
Udo

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 09:43:49 am »

I don't know the quaker state but the zink problems are always disussed in other forums with no result . I take Castrol GTX , Liqui molly 20-50 , Valvoline racing 15-40 , all work good . I think you only have to lube the bearings right with good oil pressuer .

Udo

haldex201

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 21:05:14 pm »

It looks like i am on the right way, but how much pressure much i have with 8000 RPM, the old motor was running with 4,2 bars, and 3,5 bar after 5 min. Oil temp about 110C. I hope 14 liters of oil, and a new cooler will do it better.

The new motor is running with a new Dynosoar dry sump pump, with 32 mm on the pump side and 74mm on the dry side.

If i ask you udo, have you seen problems with your very fine light lifters and cams? And how long do i have too run with Cam and liftes before the cam is "driven in"? The old motor was running in 60 min. with 3000RPM before i gave it high revs on the dyno.

One more thing will the, Titianum Valves will they do the rest?   

Best regards
Haldex201
Racing is life, all in between is only waiting.
As my friend "Tom K "was saying "Keep the hammer down". 
"Thanks Udo"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 21:54:33 pm by haldex201 » Logged
Udo

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 19:47:35 pm »

The new motor is running with a new Dynosoar dry sump pump, with 32 mm on the pump side and 74mm on the dry side

This is  big on the dry side . Mine have 26 , 38 mm and work good on the circuit track .
You don't need any breakin with the lifters . If you have titanium valves and light weight lifters you don't need that much spring pressure like K-800's . Depends on cam and rpms. We run up to 8000 rpm's with springs that have a little more than double VW diameter springslike CB LS .

We have synthetic oil on the circuit track because of the higher oil temperature and mineral oil on the street and strip . Never used any zinc or other wonder oil .

Udo

haldex201

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 20:38:34 pm »

Hallo again!

How much oil presure are you running with Udo?
And is the "Käfer Cup" still alive ?   

To all the readers!
Drop a line or to, some one out there must now somthing about cam, oil, and liftes ? Or rockers with 1:1,8?     
Or your opion about that, and what to do!

Roll Eyes
Udo

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 20:45:29 pm »

Hallo again!

How much oil presure are you running with Udo?
And is the "Käfer Cup" still alive ?   

To all the readers!
Drop a line or to, some one out there must now somthing about cam, oil, and liftes ? Or rockers with 1:1,8?     
Or your opion about that, and what to do!

Roll Eyes

The Käfercup series is no longer alive, i think we had the last race 5 years ago . We have 4-5 bar when the engine is hot with our dry sump pump .
I think you know my opinions about oil and cam-lifter . You can not change the material and hardening of the lifter with oil .

Udo

Bruce

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 23:35:52 pm »

We have synthetic oil on the circuit track because of the higher oil temperature and mineral oil on the street and strip . Never used any zinc or other wonder oil .
Does your oil have the API starburst logo on it?  If it does not, it probably has lots of zinc in it.  AFAIK, there is no oil anywhere that doesn't have some zinc.
Udo

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 16:19:57 pm »

I don't know the spez. Synthetic is Castrol RS - now edge - and mineral oil Castol GTX , Valvoline Racing , liqui molly 20-50 ...

Udo

Felix/DFL

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 22:56:26 pm »

I think you know my opinions about oil and cam-lifter . You can not change the material and hardening of the lifter with oil .
Udo
[/quote]

YES that`s what I even think. How can a cam be hardened through a enginerun Huh

Ok the parts get a bit more family together but hardened ?
It`s so funny nearly everbody does it even if they know it is not helping or has a real effect. I even broke in 2 cam`s but at the last W125 for my 1776 I didn`t do it.
Yust started it made some timing and synchronisation, went for a smoth ride and changed the oil. And till now no flat cam or other problems...
Or has anybody got a good physic point for break in ?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 23:09:47 pm by Felix/DFL » Logged
Bruce

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 10:20:30 am »

How can a cam be hardened through a enginerun Huh

Ok the parts get a bit more family together but hardened ?
It is called "work hardening".  The high localized stresses cause the surface to harden.  When you have a cast iron camshaft and a cast iron lifter, the work hardening process causes the surfaces of both parts to harden to the same hardness at the same time.
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 13:33:54 pm »

Oil is a little bit like religion.

Personally I would NEVER run GTX in any of my ACVW engines. Had problems directly related to oil twice with it. Never again. But many other oils are OK. Hi rev race engines do require the better end of the oil types.
But it also depends on how you have built the engine. Some swear by 20/50 oils  Others get massive leaks and too much pressure with the same oil.
In a race engine of that caliper, I think the only way to determine the best viscosity is trial & error.

Bruce I thought for a long time that US and Euro oils were the same, as long as it was the same brand. But it´s not. They vary from a little to a lot. Which makes a discussion about it even more difficult.
T
alex d

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 14:04:56 pm »

Torben, can you elaborate on the kind of problems you had with GTX?

thanks

alex
Bruce

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 06:29:01 am »

Bruce I thought for a long time that US and Euro oils were the same, as long as it was the same brand. But it´s not. They vary from a little to a lot. Which makes a discussion about it even more difficult.
Today they are quite different.  It was the US gov that screwed up the oils here.  First by taking away the cam and lifter saving zinc compounds, then by allowing highly refined dino oil to be called synthetic. You are lucky in Euro that you don't have to deal with this BS.
haldex201

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 11:48:41 am »

I wiil look on my Qaker State oil and see what i can get from it "DATA Spec" i know that it is botled in Holland but it is from pensylvainia in US.

One more thing, the new cam from Eagle is in a higher quility of steel that the old one, and that is a problem for the liftes or the cam it self.
To help the problem I use old cams who is 10-15 yeas old. I now others in here, where the motor has only been running in 10 minuttes before the problem was in the light. The cam was gone "away"

I hope that some one in here have seen the problem and can tell us some thing about it.

Best Regards
Haldex201     
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: