The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 08:39:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350795 Posts in 28593 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  You don't see many cars being built w/ 8-spokes anymore
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: You don't see many cars being built w/ 8-spokes anymore  (Read 13456 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: February 01, 2008, 05:02:09 am »

When I was in high school it was the cat's meow to run 8-spokes even on an early car. I've always liked them. One of the first fast VW's I can recall was a yellow late model running 1776 and 8-spokes.

Why do you think they've faded from the limelight?

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:06:59 am »

yes you were the shit with 8 spoke's back then, simiple time's and good

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 05:24:08 am »

I only liked them if they were oem EMPI spyders. I think they went out of favor because of proliferation. It's all you saw, much like what goes on with the Flat 4 BRM's nowadays.

I also park at Nick's.
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 05:44:21 am »

I have 5 original EMPI 8 spokes in the box with spacers and caps maybe someday I will have to build a car to put them on LOL.

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 05:50:15 am »

Na.... Just sell them to me

nicolas

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 07:29:49 am »

i'll admit, i'm an 8 spoke hater... but i have a reason.  out of the 20+ type 3s i've owned, more than 1/2 have had 8 spokes on them when purchased.  i'm just sick of seeing them.  i have a set on the 412 though  Roll Eyes

that is one off the only wheels that fit under a type3. if there is one flaw on a type 3 it is the engeniers that designed the car never thought about putting bigger rims under that car...
i have grown to like them

Jim: the car you are talking about is that the yellow car that is right behind Don Bedfords car in the picture of VWTrends? i think it had a 1776 engine, also a cool car. the red one may be nice as well but you can't see it good enough. the best part is the guy with the hairy upperlip.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 07:58:48 am »

I was just thinking about this the other day. When I was a kid my dad had a primered '63 on gold 8 spokes. That one never made it to paint thanks to a lady making a left in front of him one day. I think they are cool still especially if they are gold. Maybe they will make a comeback.       I think Frenchy should build that car he's talking about. Jason

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 08:22:14 am »

I agree with John Rayburn,i had them too in the 80's but went to centerlines as everybody was puting them on their cars like the BRM's Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Neil Davies

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 10:23:15 am »

I think they are making a bit of a comeback - there have been a few sets of original ones changing hands recently, and I'm sure Joe G said he'd got some Lillegards too. Wink I like 'em!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
outlaw

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 12:02:13 pm »

Agreed, I think they will make a comeback in a small way.
They were just overdone in the 80s and I too became a hater, but times change and they have become a rarely seen wheel !!!

Great looking wheel at the end of the day and I for one would like to see some "top" cars wear them again.
Torgeir Schibevaag
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 12:43:03 pm »

Baboon built this car last year.....

To me it looks just right with the spyders Shocked Shocked Shocked

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 14:31:42 pm »

...theSamba.com told me they aren't cool...

I do think the originals end up looking better.  Plus, I don't think I've seen a repop set with 145 tires on the front for a loooong time.  For some reason, I always see them with stupid 50-series.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 14:35:34 pm »

I really like them on Ghias. Late model Bugs too.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 14:49:33 pm »

My gues is that the reason its no longer popular is that most people have the wide Five pattern on their "older" bugs. And to most a four bolt wheel on a older car just doesn't look right.
But for newer bugs there is no more classic looking wheel, but thats just my two Kroner.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
lofty1971

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 15:36:28 pm »

i'll admit, i'm an 8 spoke hater... but i have a reason.  out of the 20+ type 3s i've owned, more than 1/2 have had 8 spokes on them when purchased.  i'm just sick of seeing them.  i have a set on the 412 though  Roll Eyes

that is one off the only wheels that fit under a type3. if there is one flaw on a type 3 it is the engeniers that designed the car never thought about putting bigger rims under that car...

Jim: the car you are talking about is that the yellow car that is right behind Don Bedfords car in the picture of VWTrends? i think it had a 1776 engine, also a cool car. the red one may be nice as well but you can't see it good enough. the best part is the guy with the hairy upperlip.

Porsche 914 2.0 litre alloy bolts straight on a later type 3, the offset tucks them in real nice as well.  They certainly looked cool on my 67 squareback.  Wink
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 15:39:31 pm »

Porsche 914 2.0 litre alloy bolts straight on a later type 3, the offset tucks them in real nice as well.  They certainly looked cool on my 67 squareback.  Wink

I prefer the baby gasburners on a type 3.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
nicolas

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 15:41:31 pm »

they would on my 67 squareback as well...  Grin but i opted for another seldom seen classic these days the riviera! mine is a vw blue TL, what is yours?
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 17:00:57 pm »

i'd still go for a nice spyder mag set if i come across a set that is not cracked.
i reckon they'd look the bollocks on my 67  Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 17:23:07 pm »

jim remember that thread  Grin http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,2447.0.html lot of 8 sokes here  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Jim Ratto

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 17:26:18 pm »

Baboon built this car last year.....

To me it looks just right with the spyders Shocked Shocked Shocked

There was a young guy in our short-lived Bay Area Club DRG up near Oakland, CA, named Mike (Spike) that had a 1970 Bug that looked identical to that car. Very cool car, not sure where he got it....even had plaid herculon seat inserts. While the club was active he ran a little motor, but eventually went to Weber'd 1904. Then he got a taste of Datsun 510's and gave up on VW's, like most of that club Sad
Only guys still into them are Bates, Derek (kafercup), TW and myself.  Undecided
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 17:26:40 pm »

why do repop 8 spokes suck so badly?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 17:29:37 pm »

No, it was a guy I went to high school with up in North Calif. I didn't even have a car or license yet, I was driving my Schwinn Sting to school. He was a year older than me and sat across from me in drafting and all he ever talked about was his Bug and burnouts and Dellortos and heads and "cases"....WTF is a case, I thought. I knew "blocks"
Anyway, I was perched on my Schwinn in a Safeway parking lot after school and he pulled in and saw me, and I jokingly gave him the tumbs down, and he proceded to waste his rear tires in a big smokey show. I was floored.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 17:47:45 pm »

at my begining in vw idon't like the 8 spoke too much with all color , pink blue , yellow etc... , but when i bought my first set of real 8 empi i changed my point of vue on this one  , the spyders are really cool   Cool but  i  love the original not the copy Roll Eyes sorry guys for those who own copy
now i own 8  8 spokes 6 in 15" & 2 in 14"  Wink

Carlos De Alba

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 18:18:50 pm »

Shocked Shocked Shocked  very nice speedwell........

I had a gold set that I now regret selling...........  Cry

Der Kleiner Panzers
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 18:28:11 pm »

Just my oppinion, But if the center cap does'nt screw in, it's not a 8 spoke.  Yes the rest got over produced

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 19:04:22 pm »

Shocked Shocked Shocked  very nice speedwell........

I had a gold set that I now regret selling...........  Cry
thx carlos  and very sad to sell those one

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2008, 19:27:17 pm »

why do repop 8 spokes suck so badly?

To me the original spokes like tiger claws, and the copy spokes look like fat sausages. Apart form the screw on centers.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2008, 19:43:43 pm »

I know at least one car that's being built (slowly) with 8 spokes   Cool

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Jim Ratto

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008, 19:47:09 pm »

I know at least one car that's being built (slowly) with 8 spokes   Cool

me too  Grin

they went to a good owner
Jim Ratto

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2008, 19:50:00 pm »

My first girlfriend drove a bright orange '71 std Bug with 88 x 69 stock carbed motor. It was a fun car. Somewhat fun girl. She thought my feet stunk though, and was way into church....so things didn't work for long. It had black repop 8 spokes, and dual QPs very cool car. I always wanted to put a 2 liter in that car and see her stand it up on the muffler.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 20:07:39 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: