The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 23:32:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Old D.K.K. guy, here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Old D.K.K. guy, here  (Read 21915 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2008, 17:59:36 pm »

Kevin!!! How's it goin'? Longtime, no see. I hear that you're up north, now. Hope that all is well w/you. I have a few pics of your car, too... my fave Karmann Ghia of all time.

Had a good time hangin' out with a few of you last night. GOOD TIMES.

Thanks for the link to the car pics. I have tons of those from different events and gatherings. I see me and my car, here, next to Rick's.

This was a gathering of the VW clubs near my house at El Dorado park. There's Kevin on the end.

let's share with us , maybe post them on the link before
thx
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2008, 18:01:19 pm »

let's share with us m

Mark doesn't have a working scanner so he's gonna have to impose on a friend or buy a new scanner.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 00:05:40 am »

"It was nice to meet Anna too. Hope we didn't bore her too much."

You mean, Diana? She felt bad that she nodded off... we only got 4hrs. sleep the night before, because we were at a friend's b-day bash and his band played. You skaters might remember him; Steve Alba. She was tired. HAHA!!

Anyhoo, I'm just gonna grow some grapes and buy a new scanner. I have so many old pictures that I can put up here, it'll be cool to share 'em. I haven't had to scan anything in years, so I never replaced my old one. D'OH!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 00:19:28 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2008, 00:16:28 am »

DOH!!!

Rennsurfer

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2008, 07:42:36 am »

Just found some stuff up in the attic. Haven't seen these in years. After I buy a new scanner, I'll be able to post up some better quality images. Anyhoo, here's two of the VW Trends magazine covers that me and my car were on. I was on a Hot VWs too... can't find it. Also in the picture is a 1967 EMPI Dealer Catalog, complete with wholesale and retail prices. One BRM wheel lists for $49.50 ea. in there. Doesn't sound like a lotta money, but I'm pretty sure that minimum wage earnings were around the $1.11 mark in those days.

The EMPI Engine Catalog is from the same year and also shows everything from 40hp. engines to high performance stuff. Again with wholesale and retail price sheets. The yellow Bug-In card was on my car during the car show. Funny story about that year... the judges came over to me and were stuck on who to award 5th place to in my class. Because I was so damned tired from staying up for two days/nights cleaning other peoples' cars, I neglected to wipe off the road film on the front leading edge of my traction bar. Otherwise, my undercarriage was always very clean. In the end, Dave McNew (who's engine I cleaned... HAHA!!) won and with his car all locked up except for the decklid. We had a good laugh over that one, 'cause my car was fully displayed with everything open. After the awards, the judges told me I would've had it. Oh well.

Speaking of Dave, his car is shown in a later issue of VW Trends. I went with him while the photographer (forgot his name) took pics for the feature. I let Dave borrow the instrument cover panel in the trunk from my car for the shoot. Also helped him clean up the car for that day, as well. The article mentions Mark Ramirez and my name for people that helped Dave build the car. Not that he needed any help to clean or build... he was quite talented in those fields. That's just what we did for our fellow D.K.K. members. We were/are one big happy family.

Sorry if any of this bores anyone... but I haven't been around this stuff since 1985.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 07:44:16 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2008, 07:46:57 am »

It's fun to go treasure hunting!

Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2008, 15:52:03 pm »

Great Stuff!

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2008, 18:28:40 pm »

Just found some stuff up in the attic. Haven't seen these in years. After I buy a new scanner, I'll be able to post up some better quality images. Anyhoo, here's two of the VW Trends magazine covers that me and my car were on. I was on a Hot VWs too... can't find it. Also in the picture is a 1967 EMPI Dealer Catalog, complete with wholesale and retail prices. One BRM wheel lists for $49.50 ea. in there. Doesn't sound like a lotta money, but I'm pretty sure that minimum wage earnings were around the $1.11 mark in those days.

The EMPI Engine Catalog is from the same year and also shows everything from 40hp. engines to high performance stuff. Again with wholesale and retail price sheets. The yellow Bug-In card was on my car during the car show. Funny story about that year... the judges came over to me and were stuck on who to award 5th place to in my class. Because I was so damned tired from staying up for two days/nights cleaning other peoples' cars, I neglected to wipe off the road film on the front leading edge of my traction bar. Otherwise, my undercarriage was always very clean. In the end, Dave McNew (who's engine I cleaned... HAHA!!) won and with his car all locked up except for the decklid. We had a good laugh over that one, 'cause my car was fully displayed with everything open. After the awards, the judges told me I would've had it. Oh well.

Speaking of Dave, his car is shown in a later issue of VW Trends. I went with him while the photographer (forgot his name) took pics for the feature. I let Dave borrow the instrument cover panel in the trunk from my car for the shoot. Also helped him clean up the car for that day, as well. The article mentions Mark Ramirez and my name for people that helped Dave build the car. Not that he needed any help to clean or build... he was quite talented in those fields. That's just what we did for our fellow D.K.K. members. We were/are one big happy family.

Sorry if any of this bores anyone... but I haven't been around this stuff since 1985.

have you an idea about the year of the hot vws issue i will watch for you if you want let me know  Wink
fabs

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2008, 18:31:38 pm »

The article mentions Mark Ramirez and my name for people that helped Dave build the car. Not that he needed any help to clean or build... he was quite talented in those fields. That's just what we did for our fellow D.K.K. members. We were/are one big happy family.

Come on Mark... fess up! We know that "Helping build a car" was DKK speak for "Hang out and drink their beer.  Grin

Pump Gas

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2008, 02:55:13 am »

Mark, (Fred)

Glad to see you make a comeback.  I don't know if you will remember me - but I was in DVB.  Barb, Joanie & I use to come and hang out with guys at events.  You guys were always entertaining (to say the least), and we loved hanging out with you all at the rallies, car shows & etc.  Barb went out with Steve Wilkerson & as I remember had a giant crush on Dave McNew, and I am pretty sure that is how Danny Gabbard met Joanie. But anyway - as I told Bill Schwimmer today - that you were always such a great guy, and I even asked him awhile back, if he ever heard from you or about you?

I am still into the VW scene - have been for over 30 years (pretty scary-not in a bad way).  I race my 1970 Karmann Ghia, and have started PowderPuff back up again last year at the Drag Days & Bug-In.  Made & have kept awesome VW friends throughout the years.

I really hope to be able to say hi to you at some event!

Take Care,

Susy Herbert (last name was Gifford - back in the club days)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 02:56:57 am by Pump Gas » Logged

Real Street Cars Run On Pump Gas!
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2008, 03:30:16 am »

Then how did Joanie meet Chachee?          dumb

Whats up Suzie?  I came by your trailer to say hello to you at the VW Drag Day and you were out.  I think I spoke to your brother in law?.  I had just talked to Clyde Berg for 20 minutes (it had been 20 years or so) and was inspired to say hello to you as well.  It was my first Drag Day I had ever been to there in Irwindale.  The last "Drag day" was probably Bug In 27 or 28 for me.  Whew!   I took my son and my friend Cory who also was in DKK back in the way backs.  What a kick my boy got out of THAT day at the track.  I have to say I saw your white Ghia and it is gorgeous (still).  Hows about a photo for the masses?   Its funny, about being away from all this for 25 years and TRYING to remember what everyone looked like and WHO they were.  Lord knows what we look like now.  Hopefully much better dressed!
Worm
DKK 78-83?
P.S. maybe we will run into each in the near future.  Take care
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 03:32:42 am by Worm » Logged

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2008, 05:06:19 am »

Hey fellas, Jeffrey Hicken here. Just checkin in. It's great to reconnect with some of the old folk. Talked to Mark Rameriz the other night. It's gotta be 25 years since we last talked. Those were some good times.

Just for grins, here's a pic of my '67 circa 1978 or so.

This was shot after it was repaired from getting rear ended out in front my house in La Mirada, the one I shared with Alex Gonzales.

-jeffrey

Pump Gas

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2008, 06:28:59 am »

Scott/Worm - (sorry-I had to ask Bill Schwimmer who you were) & now I remember! 

How are you?  My how time flies!  What great times we had back in the 70's/80's!  Would not trade all my wonderful memories for anything!  I am sorry that I missed you out at Drag Day.  I hope you get to make it to another, and please come find me.  I am always parked in the same place.

Thanks - my ghia is alot of fun.  My husband bought it for me about 7 years ago for Christmas.  Just got back from dinner with Bill & Lisa Schwimmer & Keith Seume, and he told me that you guys were going to have a reunion!  That will be some much fun - love to be a fly on the wall for that party!

Take Care & I hope to see you again soon!
Susy

Rennsurfer

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2008, 06:35:10 am »

Good lookin' car, as always, Jeffrey.

Susy... WOW, longtime no see. Thanks for the kind words and yes, I do remember you, Barb, and Joanie. Good seein' all of these friends from my/our past. Hopefully, I'll bring my two teenage sons to the next VW event. I haven't been to one since the last Bug-In... whenever that was. I'm still livin' in the same house (bought it from my family in '88) still surfing, and still skateboarding empty swimming pools. And I get to share it all with my boys.

Glad to hear that you're still into it... I'm amazed at how many people never left. I walked away from it all in 1985. Good to be back and talk to the same people, however.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 06:37:44 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Rennsurfer

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2008, 06:42:02 am »

have you an idea about the year of the hot vws issue i will watch for you if you want let me know  Wink
fabs

I forgot what year that Bug-In 25 was, but D.K.K. was on that cover. Sorry, if that doesn't help you. I could've sworn that I kept at least one of those issues from that event. Weird that I can't find it. Back then, the magazine were SO cool... if your car was on a cover and/or featured, they automatically sent you a few issues in the mail, FREE. All three times, both mags did that for me. People in the scene were like a giant family. That, and probably because we were in D.K.K. HAHAHA!!! Oh well, it sounds good as a theory, yes?

Grin

But thank you for your lookin' out, Fabs.

~Sarge
Pump Gas

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2008, 14:42:07 pm »

Mark,

I really hope to see you at an event someday.  That would be awesome. Joanie is still around, and last time I saw her was at my wedding (year and a half ago)- she was doing great. I hear updates about her every once in awhile from Danny - who I have lunch with on Tuesday, along with some other VW die hards. She is still the sweet- funny-beautiful Joanie.  I just love her.  And Barb was at our wedding also - but since then, I haven't talked to her.

At dinner last night, Bill & I were sitting across from eachother, and just reminishing about all the fun we use to have.  I can still picture your car - I loved the color.  Those were some great days back then, and like I said before - would not trade them in for anything!  Just all the rallies alone - took up half of our weekends all year!  GOOD TIMES!

Well it was great to reconnect with you, and like I said - hope to see you someday soon!

Susy
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 14:44:41 pm by Pump Gas » Logged

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2008, 18:18:38 pm »

fabs

I forgot what year that Bug-In 25 was, but D.K.K. was on that cover. Sorry, if that doesn't help you. I could've sworn that I kept at least one of those issues from that event. Weird that I can't find it. Back then, the magazine were SO cool... if your car was on a cover and/or featured, they automatically sent you a few issues in the mail, FREE. All three times, both mags did that for me. People in the scene were like a giant family. That, and probably because we were in D.K.K. HAHAHA!!! Oh well, it sounds good as a theory, yes?

Grin

But thank you for your lookin' out, Fabs.

fred it was the feb 81   Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2008, 19:26:52 pm »

fred here's the cover and another shoot from vw trends with your orange car , if it is well this one Huh you had also empis 8
 Wink
fabs

nicolas

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2008, 19:29:36 pm »

what would i give to have a car like that. i love those cars, colours, ... beautifull.

where is my kandoo-box?
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2008, 19:49:06 pm »

is that a Fred?? Grin Grin

Lemonade
DKK

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2008, 04:52:06 am »

Hey fellas, Jeffrey Hicken here. Just checkin in. It's great to reconnect with some of the old folk. Talked to Mark Rameriz the other night. It's gotta be 25 years since we last talked. Those were some good times.

This was shot after it was repaired from getting rear ended out in front my house in La Mirada, the one I shared with Alex Gonzales.

-jeffrey

Jeffrey, do you remember when your car became "my" car? Long story short, I had my car painted, did not have it completely assembled, received a 2 page fix it ticket. Couldn't get everything in compliance, so I "borrowed" your car, threw my registration in your glove box, put my plates on your car, drove to Winchell's Donuts & had the nice officer sign off my ticket?

Kevan Wink Cheesy Cool
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2008, 06:50:06 am »

LOL that's great! I drove my notchback around for 3 months with the plates from my '67 on it 'cause I didn't have all the paperwork I needed to register it.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2008, 08:31:24 am »

Speedwell, you're the king! Thanks for diggin' that out. I can't find my copy, but that'll do in the meantime. And yes, Rick... that would be a Fred. Ironic how both magazine photographers ran the same shot for that event. Even better... D.K.K. Oops, sorry. My inner-monologue slipped.

~Sarge
Rennsurfer

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2008, 08:59:08 am »

Mark,

I really hope to see you at an event someday.  That would be awesome. Joanie is still around, and last time I saw her was at my wedding (year and a half ago)- she was doing great. I hear updates about her every once in awhile from Danny - who I have lunch with on Tuesday, along with some other VW die hards. She is still the sweet- funny-beautiful Joanie.  I just love her.  And Barb was at our wedding also - but since then, I haven't talked to her.

At dinner last night, Bill & I were sitting across from eachother, and just reminishing about all the fun we use to have.  I can still picture your car - I loved the color.  Those were some great days back then, and like I said before - would not trade them in for anything!  Just all the rallies alone - took up half of our weekends all year!  GOOD TIMES!

Well it was great to reconnect with you, and like I said - hope to see you someday soon!

Susy

Right on, Susy... thanks for the updates. And you're right... those were fun times. Hopefully, we'll see each other.

~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2008, 20:43:20 pm »

Speedwell, you're the king! Thanks for diggin' that out. I can't find my copy, but that'll do in the meantime. And yes, Rick... that would be a Fred. Ironic how both magazine photographers ran the same shot for that event. Even better... D.K.K. Oops, sorry. My inner-monologue slipped.
thx fred , may be  the DKK was the best cal look club in the 80's  Cool Cool..... Wink
rgd
fabs

Rennsurfer

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2008, 02:38:13 am »

thx fred , may be  the DKK was the best cal look club in the 80's  Cool Cool..... Wink
rgd
fabs

Amen to that!

~Sarge
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2008, 17:20:06 pm »

-jeffrey

Jeffrey, do you remember when your car became "my" car? Long story short, I had my car painted, did not have it completely assembled, received a 2 page fix it ticket. Couldn't get everything in compliance, so I "borrowed" your car, threw my registration in your glove box, put my plates on your car, drove to Winchell's Donuts & had the nice officer sign off my ticket?

Kevan Wink Cheesy Cool

Kevan, I remember that very well. We actually had it "signed off" and the Fullerton PD, across the street from Vaughn Rollins place. Mine was to low so we pulled the shocks off jacked up the front end, bolted on a piece of angle iron, cut to the proper height, and drove it across the street to have it signed off by the cops. Too funny. Somewhere I got a picture of it with the cop doing the measurement and Vaughn and the gang in the background. I gotta find that shot.

-jeffrey

Rennsurfer

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2008, 17:33:16 pm »

Kevan, I remember that very well. We actually had it "signed off" and the Fullerton PD, across the street from Vaughn Rollins place. Mine was to low so we pulled the shocks off jacked up the front end, bolted on a piece of angle iron, cut to the proper height, and drove it across the street to have it signed off by the cops. Too funny. Somewhere I got a picture of it with the cop doing the measurement and Vaughn and the gang in the background. I gotta find that shot.

-jeffrey

HAHA!! Great story 'bout the fix-it ticket(s). I'm sure that we all have more to tell. I was lucky and my friend's Dad was a Lakewood Sherriff. So I drove around the corner from my house after puttin' the stock sealed beam headlights and some stock tires/wheels up front on the car. He'd sign it all off and went the the nearby station and turned in the tickets. GOOD TIMES! Towards the end of owning my car, I had scored some Euro spec 911 headlights. So I painted some VW rings orange and transferred the assembly into that. Never got nailed for having those lights, though. Go figure.

Love to see that picture, Jeffrey.

~Sarge
Lemonade
DKK

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2008, 06:17:23 am »

-jeffrey

You are indeed correct, sir! I do recall going to Fullerton PD. Winchell's must have been all of the tickets! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy I would love to see that photo also!

Kevan
Mc New
DKK

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2008, 14:50:07 pm »

Here are some names for ya.....................

Oh yea, the guy with the crazy hair next to my old squareback was Fred's neighbor "Bob", and the '56 split window in the foreground is Lisa Maxwell's ride
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 14:52:52 pm by Mc New » Logged

"If we painted a white stripe with pink polka dots down the center of our cars, people would start doing the same on theirs"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: