The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 15:37:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Old D.K.K. guy, here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Old D.K.K. guy, here  (Read 21898 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2008, 16:59:13 pm »

Here are some names for ya.....................

Oh yea, the guy with the crazy hair next to my old squareback was Fred's neighbor "Bob", and the '56 split window in the foreground is Lisa Maxwell's ride

Nicely done, but I don't see your old Squareback in this photo. I think that was the Hot VWs cover where you see Bob's brother, Richard, that bought your car. Actually, I think Bob bought it from you and he sold it to Richard. I'll have to ask him. You should see the '67 Sedan and '62 Vert' that he just built! Both were body off projects and he sunk over $20k in each. That's all he's been doing for the last 20yrs. is restoring old Notchbacks and early Bugs.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2008, 18:22:01 pm »

I can't remember who owned the red convert next to Dave's '67 but after that is Dave Smith's Convert and Alex's fake Heb.. My car is further down but I don't think you can see it in this picture.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2008, 22:03:04 pm »

just one thing guys  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes............................................................you were young  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
cheers
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rennsurfer

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2008, 22:18:37 pm »

just one thing guys  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes............................................................you were young  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
cheers
fabs

True, that... but, not much has changed. I still dig German cars, still surf, and still skateboard empty swimming pools. It's all in how you live your life, yes?

Grin

Rick, thanks for the clarification on some of the cars. More to come.

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2008, 23:00:50 pm »

cheers
fabs

Come any closer and I'll smack ya with my cane! Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2008, 23:19:47 pm »

cheers
fabs

Come any closer and I'll smack ya with my cane! Grin
come on GRAN PA  Roll Eyes , remember you've a pacemaker  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
rgd rick  Wink
fabs

Rennsurfer

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2008, 02:37:08 am »

In the early '80s, I managed the Long Beach Auto Haus store. Lots of fun times/memories there.

Building engines in the back of the shop after hours, free bier from the tavern nextdoor, and conveniently located right across the street from the self service carwash. Which is where all of the girls that attended Long Beach State University (nextdoor) washed their cars.

I remember the day that the store owner told me we were closing the shop because Auto Haus was going outta business. Thankfully, the Porsche+Audi dealer down the street hired me in the Parts Dept.

~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2008, 10:34:11 am »

nice pictures mark  Shocked your car look very nice i've empi 5 sandblasted too on my car
rgd
fabs

Rennsurfer

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2008, 16:51:59 pm »

Thanks, Fabs. When my friend Dave R. was selling those, it completed my car. Paid $500 for five and they were the early ones. So, I went back to where I was a VW mechanic and the owner was cool enough to let me bring in the outter halves so I could sandblast 'em. Any time that I needed new tires (I went though rear ones every few months), it was great. I'd buy the tires, bring 'em home, and put 'em on the wheels on my front lawn. People driving by and my neighbors would stare in amazement. HAHA!!

Then, I went to Crystal Polishing, nearby, and they did what they did best... they took out any dings/scratches on the outter lips and polished 'em. Next, I hit up Shubee for a set of the correct center caps with the right EMPI GTV stickers. Which worked out nicely, since the car was orange. One of the Berg boys had sold me an N.O.S. EMPI GTV mahogany wood steering wheel that also went well with the wheels. While I was working for Auto Haus, our main warehouse got tons of EMPI bumper bars. So while I was picking up a routine parts order for my store, I asked my boss if I could buy a bunch of those. He obliged and for awhile, the Long Beach store had 'em for sale. John Rayburn came in and bought quite a few sets. I still have the N.O.S. EMPI glass fuel filter, too.

It's good hearing that yours are sandblasted, too. I always favored that look on those wheels over anything else. Nothing beats seeing the sun hit those spokes.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 16:55:58 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2008, 20:07:25 pm »

mark here's my wheels  Wink

Rennsurfer

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2008, 21:06:58 pm »

NICE!!! The proper way, too.

~Sarge
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2008, 21:17:00 pm »

Then, I went to Crystal Polishing, nearby, and they did what they did best... they took out any dings/scratches on the outter lips and polished 'em. Next, I hit up Shubee for a set of the correct center caps with the right EMPI GTV stickers. Which worked out nicely,

Hi Fred
DO you Remember this Card? Grin Grin Grin
EMPI PRODUCTS   CAPS & Lugs,  BRM's,  5 Spokes, 8 Spokes, ETC:  LMAO The Old Days
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 21:39:28 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Rennsurfer

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2008, 22:12:57 pm »

Hi Fred
EMPI PRODUCTS   CAPS & Lugs,  BRM's,  5 Spokes, 8 Spokes, ETC:  LMAO The Old Days

Yep, even still have the one that you gave me. Since it's Old Days time... remember this?

Speedwell, you went & made me go look for MY 5 spoke pic. HAHA!! Can you see the BLAME in that sentence?

And, while we're at it... I found this.

That was during the same time that I got my EMPI wheels. I can tell 'cause I got nuts with the sandblaster and did a few things on my engine. WHAT was I thinking? Thankfully, I built a new 1776cc from scratch and had all of the cooling tin painted semi-gloss black with the air cleaners and linkage gloss gray. Gotta find that pic... the engine looked more factory. I got rid of the aftermarket oil cap and traded the steel braided hoses for German cloth braided ones.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:52:43 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2008, 14:17:27 pm »

nice one mark  Wink
that's the better way for an empi 5  Cool

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2008, 17:58:51 pm »

Hi Fred

Yep, even still have the one that you gave me. Since it's Old Days time... remember this?

Speedwell, you went & made me go look for MY 5 spoke pic. HAHA!! Can you see the BLAME in that sentence?

And, while we're at it... I found this.

That was during the same time that I got my EMPI wheels. I can tell 'cause I got nuts with the sandblaster and did a few things on my engine. WHAT was I thinking? Thankfully, I built a new 1776cc from scratch and had all of the cooling tin painted semi-gloss black with the air cleaners and linkage gloss gray. Gotta find that pic... the engine looked more factory. I got rid of the aftermarket oil cap and traded the steel braided hoses for German cloth braided ones.

I Always Liked the Car When I had the BRM's on it Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2008, 22:05:50 pm »

In the early '80s, I managed the Long Beach Auto Haus store. Lots of fun times/memories there.

Excellent shot of the car out front, if you ever get a high-res scan of this, I'd love a copy!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2008, 04:55:21 am »

Always Liked the Car When I had the BRM's on it Grin Grin

That's the only way that I remember the car. Never seen it any other way. It's always been my favorite '67 Vert'.

Excellent shot of the car out front, if you ever get a high-res scan of this, I'd love a copy!

Thank you... that's my car, but with my hood primered. Had a lil' fender bender and ended up repainting the car from the quarter panels up in time for whichever Bug-In was comin' up that year. The high res version will be more true-to-life colors, too. They look all yellowy, here.

~Sarge
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2008, 19:22:12 pm »

We can do some photoshop work to match the hood on the nice version...   Smiley

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2008, 03:42:40 am »

We can do some photoshop work to match the hood on the nice version...   Smiley

Ha! We're both on the same page, then... I'm gonna do that when get some free time.

~Sarge
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: