The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 14:48:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Took the 54 out for the first time - WOW!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Took the 54 out for the first time - WOW!  (Read 1749 times)
jamiep_jamiep

« on: February 04, 2008, 18:28:28 pm »

Well I've been driving my lil 1200 64 bug all the time just lately, and finally got the 54 running well enough for me to risk giving it some beans yesterday so took it for a spin.

First impressions, brakes - require a shove - clutch - requires a shove - accelerator - again, much weightier than in the 64. Start her up, noise. Lots of noise! Good though!!! Straight cuts whining, solid mounted box and no carpets. Got onto the road and tootled out of our village to a nearby long, wide open road. After it taking what seemed like ages just driving up & down waiting for the oil temp to come up I gave it the WOT and JESUS. This thing flies!!! I spent the past part of 45 minutes driving it up & down - the thing just pulls & pulls & pulls!

What a REALLY fast bug must feel like I just don't know.

I got back home and felt almost ill, I think I'd reached adrenaline saturation point... today I can only think of one thing - when I can give it another blast! Man it rocks!

Can't wait to hit the strip with it come show time...

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 00:02:21 am »

I got back home and felt almost ill, I think I'd reached adrenaline saturation point... today I can only think of one thing - when I can give it another blast! Man it rocks!

Boy I know that feeling, I was sick for an hour after taing my bug to a hillclimb this fall.
Got any pic's for us, or a spec?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 00:03:56 am »

Sounds like you had a great time. Post some pics and your engine specs.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 17:41:29 pm »

Thanks guys, spec is as follows:

2276 82 x 94, Pent roof allow case, Magnum st. cut gears, Webcam 86C, 42 x 37 044 CNC Round Ports (think these may be getting upgraded at the end of this year), carbs are weber 48IDF's and ingnition is taken care of by a Mallory HyFire IV AL & Scat/Mallory (old school) dissy. S/S exhaust system. Trans is a Rancho pro street, stock ratios  4.125 Final drive - this is getting a close ratio 3rd & 4th gear set in the next few weeks.

I bought the car built and give all credit to Paul Hibberd & Paul Hamilton for the build up. I'll be pulling the car to bits over the next few months to upgarde a few areas and bring the bodywork up to snuff.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: