The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 14:55:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What did you score at the swap meet today ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27 Print
Author Topic: What did you score at the swap meet today ?  (Read 372028 times)
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2008, 08:16:09 am »

Correction, you and Bill were playing grab-ass when your pennyless buddy Dave drug you out to the back 40 so that you could buy the IDA's that he found.  Dont you still owe me a beer?

Roll Eyes

I don't care who you are thats funny right there....
Hey Jason, whose side are you on?  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...

« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2008, 20:54:20 pm »

Please notice the title of the thread reads "What did you score at the swap meet TODAY".
Not stories from yesteryear !
 Grin
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2008, 22:01:02 pm »

Please notice the title of the thread reads "What did you score at the swap meet TODAY".
Not stories from yesteryear !
 Grin
Without our yesterdays we would have no today... Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Sarge

« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2008, 01:07:24 am »

I think Richard could use a beer Wink

DKP III

« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2008, 02:27:14 am »

YES, A great big, ice cold Hires Root Beer !
 Grin
plasticblack

« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2008, 12:24:05 pm »

I was at Le Bug Show in Belgium, so I scored some very sore feet and a car full of wet clothes......... Grin

Not what I was hoping for at all...  Wink
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2008, 12:09:45 pm »

Went to Beaulieu International Autojumble at the weekend, picked up some >71 type 2 hella rear lights to sell on, but did come across this:

the guy had about 4 nos sets of speedwell gauges, not my bag but there could be some interested parties on here, £400 a pop Shocked

his contact details are:

Marchal Chris
0033(0)613312884

cmantiques@mac.com

think he's from france Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
maX cal-look

« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2008, 14:58:34 pm »

Outch !

With this number phone, he come to France ! for sure !
 Wink

beetletom

« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2008, 16:50:06 pm »

a pretty much brand new csp ball shifter for £50!
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2008, 20:03:28 pm »

the guy had about 4 nos sets of speedwell gauges, not my bag but there could be some interested parties on here, £400 a pop Shocked

his contact details are:

Marchal Chris
0033(0)613312884

cmantiques@mac.com

think he's from france Grin

Interesting ! Tongue Tongue Tongue

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2008, 06:46:01 am »

$3.99

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2008, 17:16:22 pm »

Saturday night Sling and I are at The Wagen (Vegas VW shop, open house), having too much fun and drinking wild quantities of Jack Daniel's. A guy comes up to my GTV and asks all the usual questions like, "Is it a real one?" And so on. He tells me his brother has an EMPI exhuast for sale, here at the gathering. Suuuure he does, I'm thinking. Anyway, I'm in a good mood, so I decide to let this guy humor me, fully expecting to see a rusty Taiwan dual QP set up with EMPI embossed on the tops of the mufflers. We wander over to where his brother is, and sure as shit there is a EMPI 4 bolt header and glasspack sitting on the asphault. Well, suck me sideways!! I get the skinny from the guy, seems as if it came off of his boss' brothers car, been on there since back in the day. I call up Slinger on my cell to get him over there, there is no way I'm letting this out of my sight, or out of my gorilla death grip by that point. Conversation went something like this:

Sling: Hey what's up?
Zach: Get over here right now.
Sling: I can't, I'm talking to someone.
Zach: No, get over here now. Right fucking now. Now. Stop what you're doing and get the fuck over here right fucking now.

I think he sensed the urgency in my tone, because a few seconds later he was drooling over it, as well. The guy struck us a bit of a deal after he found out that the GTV was mine, and it would be going to a good home. Not one of us had enough cash on us, so we went dutch on it, and the rest of the night it rested happily in my back seat Smiley Frenchy took some time out of his night to console me, as I was pretty much in full freak out, hyperventilating mode. The header is solid as a rock still, the muffler is far from perfect, but this is the only one I've ever seen in the flesh, on or off of a car. Now it's ours.  Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2008, 17:25:02 pm »

congrats zach! good deal!! Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2008, 18:18:38 pm »

awesome dude i'm happy for you  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
nlvtinman

« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2008, 00:05:05 am »

When a buddy and I saw that Saturday night, it was like a "No Brainer" who's car deserved that exhaust. Yesterday, at the Bugorama, we looked and commented that it was gone, wondering if you'd gotten it for your car Zack. Good for you!

The guy wasn't giving it away, that's for sure, so being able to go "dutch" ...hey whatever works, right?
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2008, 01:58:21 am »

Thanks guys, I'm pretty stoked Smiley

Unfortunately, the muffler is done for. It's beat up, scraped, and I can hear remnants of fiberglass packing rolling around in it, and then pouring out the tip! So... I have already got the wheels in motion to have an exact replica made, except this time it will be in stainless steel instead of chromed steel- much easier to produce. I'll let you know if/how it goes Smiley

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2008, 17:14:31 pm »

Saturday night Sling and I are at The Wagen (Vegas VW shop, open house), having too much fun and drinking wild quantities of Jack Daniel's. A guy comes up to my GTV and asks all the usual questions like, "Is it a real one?" And so on. He tells me his brother has an EMPI exhuast for sale, here at the gathering. Suuuure he does, I'm thinking. Anyway, I'm in a good mood, so I decide to let this guy humor me, fully expecting to see a rusty Taiwan dual QP set up with EMPI embossed on the tops of the mufflers. We wander over to where his brother is, and sure as shit there is a EMPI 4 bolt header and glasspack sitting on the asphault. Well, suck me sideways!! I get the skinny from the guy, seems as if it came off of his boss' brothers car, been on there since back in the day. I call up Slinger on my cell to get him over there, there is no way I'm letting this out of my sight, or out of my gorilla death grip by that point. Conversation went something like this:

Zach: No, get over here now. Right fucking now. Now. Stop what you're doing and get the fuck over here right fucking now.

I think he sensed the urgency in my tone, because a few seconds later he was drooling over it, as well. The guy struck us a bit of a deal after he found out that the GTV was mine, and it would be going to a good home. Not one of us had enough cash on us, so we went dutch on it, and the rest of the night it rested happily in my back seat Smiley Frenchy took some time out of his night to console me, as I was pretty much in full freak out, hyperventilating mode. The header is solid as a rock still, the muffler is far from perfect, but this is the only one I've ever seen in the flesh, on or off of a car. Now it's ours.  Smiley
Hi Zach Did You Pay What He Was Asking?Huh  Big Bucks?HuhHuhHuh  LOL Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2008, 17:45:27 pm »

He cut us a deal, but it still only costed a little less than the car it will be going on Roll Eyes

Sam K

« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2008, 03:56:44 am »

Nice find! Your car deserves it.
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2008, 01:11:02 am »

Not at the Swap Meet But Got these Original EMPI Valve Covers On Samba?? Today in the Mail, the guy was in Florida and had them for sale for $20.00 + shipping I cant Believe no one bought them before me LOL nice Patina look with no Drilled holes  I Scored Grin Grin Grin

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
SlingShot

« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2008, 04:01:04 am »

Not at the Swap Meet But Got these Original EMPI Valve Covers On Samba?? Today in the Mail, the guy was in Florida and had them for sale for $20.00 + shipping I cant Believe no one bought them before me LOL nice Patina look with no Drilled holes  I Scored Grin Grin Grin

That's Funny. I had that guy on the horn in 5 min from the ad posting. I asked him if they had a Serial No. on the inside, he said he would get back to me. E-mails me back, "yes they do". "Cool I will buy them from you." Never heard from him again. Huh

Sure you didn't offer him a cherry on top Shubee? Grin

Will Race For Beer !!!
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2008, 17:56:24 pm »

That's Funny. I had that guy on the horn in 5 min from the ad posting. I asked him if they had a Serial No. on the inside, he said he would get back to me. E-mails me back, "yes they do". "Cool I will buy them from you." Never heard from him again. Huh

Sure you didn't offer him a cherry on top Shubee? Grin
Nope just some NUTS Grin Grin Grin

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup

« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2008, 21:22:59 pm »

Not exactly a swap meet score, but a friend of mine works at the local VW dealership.
Up until a few months ago, it was a VW / Porsche dealer.
My friend called and asked if I wanted the Porsche signs that used to be on the outside of the building !
The double sided sign is 5' x 8' , the aluminum frame that hold both sides together and the interior lights aren't shown in the picture, but I have them also.
The Service sign is 5' x 3' and is lighted from inside as well.
It's made of very thick aluminum and is quite heavy !
 Grin
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2008, 22:08:33 pm »

Tongue Tongue Tongue you kill me zach
deano

« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2008, 17:12:16 pm »

I like the way the old Empi exhaust routed the noise end on the driver's side, so you can enjoy the engine tunes better...

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2008, 22:48:30 pm »

I like the way the old Empi exhaust routed the noise end on the driver's side, so you can enjoy the engine tunes better...

That's what's been going through my mind the last 6 days!! I think I might bolt it on it even though the muffler is blown out... it may sound like a stinger, but it sure would look the business!! Cheesy

nlvtinman

« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2008, 00:26:08 am »

If the muffler is toast, I wonder if you could carefully cut it open and repack it with fiberglass material? Have a skilled welder TIG it back together and retain that original muffler, even if it's "semi-restored"?
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2008, 00:33:46 am »

If the muffler is toast, I wonder if you could carefully cut it open and repack it with fiberglass material? Have a skilled welder TIG it back together and retain that original muffler, even if it's "semi-restored"?

I've been thinking about that, too. If I can't reproduce one accurately, I might just do that.

« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2008, 17:14:16 pm »

Zach, why spend the money to buy an original and not use it, just to make a reproduction ?
I suggest having the end (s) cut with a wire cutter at the two factory welds on the muffler.
While the three pieces are seperate, have them re-chromed !
Then you can replicate the glasspack inners and have it re-welded.
Possibly buy a new glasspack cheaply for the inner s ?
The original had two chrome "covers" over the two welds to cover the discloration caused by welding.
I'm not sure, but  think I see one in your pictures.
All is left is to have the header coated and install !
I believe this would be cheaper than making a reproduction and you would still have an original with history, not a fake.
 Wink
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2008, 17:29:37 pm »

Zach, why spend the money to buy an original and not use it, just to make a reproduction ?
I suggest having the end (s) cut with a wire cutter at the two factory welds on the muffler.
While the three pieces are seperate, have them re-chromed !
Then you can replicate the glasspack inners and have it re-welded.
Possibly buy a new glasspack cheaply for the inner s ?
The original had two chrome "covers" over the two welds to cover the discloration caused by welding.
I'm not sure, but  think I see one in your pictures.
All is left is to have the header coated and install !
I believe this would be cheaper than making a reproduction and you would still have an original with history, not a fake.
 Wink

The muffler is scraped and dented quite badly, as well. It was welded after chroming on just the one end closest to the tip, so I could cut that weld and re-pack it, but I still need to straighten out the bottom side- which would be difficult. I do have one strap (that covers the welds), and it is in bad shape as well, but there is enough there to make a couple of reproductions. I also want to make a reproduction muffler or two for the guys out there who have a header and no muffler. I also want to make a reproduction in a larger size for a merged header, because the 88x82 motor I have planned will suffocate with this little header and 1 1/2" muffler. I drive my car a lot, and I want it to perform, not just be 100% period EMPI correct.
So all in all, my plan is to use this header, possibly repair the original muffler, and make a couple of accurate muffler reproductions as well as one in a larger size.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: