The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:14:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Fender beading and mounting question about rust prevention
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fender beading and mounting question about rust prevention  (Read 2238 times)
Martin S.

« on: June 07, 2016, 17:02:18 pm »

So I get to re-assemble my car once it's painted (yay) and wondering what you UK guys do to help prevent rust happening in the joint where the fenders bolt on. Yes, we have that wet stuff here in Southern Ontario too. Dust gets in there and attracts moisture which rusts the metal. When I disassembled the car, I found I had used some bathtub silicone caulking in there which did work ok but not ideal as I don't really want the fenders glued in place. My painter suggested I use lithium (white) grease as it won't attack the rubber/plastic fender beading and will prevent rust there. Any other suggestions besides moving?  Roll Eyes

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
RobtheManx

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 21:42:21 pm »

I use a product called Morris Anchor Wax , you can get it in black or clear , I use clear . Its runny , gloopy wax stuff , solidifies a bit , but not totally  . I brush it and spray it everywhere ! Brush a bit on every bolt I put in . inside the doors , in the heater channels , even use it round the window opening to help put the windows in . brush some on the body and fender lip before I put the beading in .

Thanks , Rob

SPG Roller Cranks rarely live long!
neil68

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 02:48:11 am »

When my 68 Beetle was painted 12 years ago, I installed NOS fender beading with new stainless bolts. I would not recommend any sealant as it may trap moisture in the seams.

The wax sounds better, as it would allow the moisture to evaporate. I'm sure my beading has some waxy residue from waxing the paint over the years Wink

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
RichardinNZ

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 02:52:53 am »

Is Ankor wax similar to Waxoyl or other Cavity Wax (Wurth or other brands), or is it somehow different, thicker etc?  Just thinking about what may be locally available elsewhere in the world.

Thanks
Richard

Richard, Auckland, New Zealand

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
Iryanu

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 09:00:33 am »

I spray gibbs (http://www.gibbsbrandeurope.com/) everything much the same way Rob uses the anchor wax. I'm also using dinitrol 3125 cavity wax for the channels / doors / bottom of front wings etc for places hidden away. Sadly, only time will tell if it's any good.  Grin

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: