The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:24:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  Wanted
| | |-+  what to do about factory fan shroud? Lose the heater ducts...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: what to do about factory fan shroud? Lose the heater ducts...  (Read 8473 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: February 20, 2008, 21:42:15 pm »

Are there any Type 181 shrouds left out there for sale?

Does anybody do the metal work of removing heater ducts and fill them in?

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 21:47:41 pm »

i'm planning on getting the heater ducts removed...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 22:01:28 pm »

Im planning on fitting a 36hp face to a doghouse rear. The ultimate fanshroud Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 22:50:00 pm »

That's not too difficult to do. I've do it on the fan shroud for my 1600. The only problem is that thickness of stealth is quite small. So don't weld too hard.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 22:57:00 pm »

That's not too difficult to do. I've do it on the fan shroud for my 1600. The only problem is that thickness of stealth is quite small. So don't weld too hard.

that looks nice and easier to work around. Maybe Danny Gab does that?
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 23:08:00 pm »

I'm sure Danny can do that. I also have a 36 hp fan shroud that I was gonna mate with a doghouse back section but never got around to.

Now what I did on my '67 is I ran dummy hoses from the housing through the rear piece of tin.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 00:56:49 am »

Perhaps Danny can hook you up with a fan shroud like he used in his lowlight KG? Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 02:14:57 am »

You can still find 181 shrouds. I paid about $200 for mine six months ago. Jake Raby did some testing which showed that removing the outlets form a stock shroud will make it cool less effectively than one with the outlets. Is it worth worrying about, I dunno. I thought the 181 shrouds were available in other countries for longer than they were here. Of course you want the '73 style and not the '74 style sold in the US.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 08:18:20 am »

You can still find 181 shrouds. I paid about $200 for mine six months ago. Jake Raby did some testing which showed that removing the outlets form a stock shroud will make it cool less effectively than one with the outlets. Is it worth worrying about, I dunno. I thought the 181 shrouds were available in other countries for longer than they were here. Of course you want the '73 style and not the '74 style sold in the US.

--louis

I have modify tins that deviates air to heater ducts. There is 2 or 3 weld points to remove, then twist ~= 2cm the tin and weld it.
I hope that will be effective.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 17:30:39 pm »

--louis

I have modify tins that deviates air to heater ducts. There is 2 or 3 weld points to remove, then twist ~= 2cm the tin and weld it.

Exactly. Ive cut the heater outlets off of a few shrouds and always opened up those veins that are dedicated to the heaters. Ive never done testing like Jake, but that has got to make a difference.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 17:42:49 pm »

--louis

do you happen to have pictures?
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 19:48:21 pm »

--louis

do you happen to have pictures?

No, but I can take some tomorrow or Saturday.  Wink
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 22:03:02 pm »

Once you pull off the heater ducts it is very self explanitory Wink

Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 22:05:08 pm »

Here you go, the perfect fan shroud. Stock 1600, re-worked to 36hp style. Type 4 dog-house cooler Smiley

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 22:30:58 pm »

On the engine Smiley

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 02:12:19 am »

Thats a good idea too, looks nice. Other than the big indentation on the top center, you would never know it wasnt a gennie 36'er!

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 06:36:48 am »

Here you go, the perfect fan shroud. Stock 1600, re-worked to 36hp style. Type 4 dog-house cooler Smiley

36hp shrouds have the flat front no indention early stale Air 40 HP look the same as a 36 HP but 40 hp have the indention on the top front and are clearenced for the lower case bolts  By the Way your shroud looks good but the small shrouds never had the rolled lip at the back they were pinch welded behind also if you are making a 36HP Doghouse shroud make sure you mock it up using a Dog House Fan I had The First 36 HP Dog House Shroud back in 1977 on my Blue 56 Oval, Below  Picture of my 61 Sleeper I made a 40HP Dog House it has the small indention unlike the one above
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 00:35:49 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Jim Ratto

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 00:37:21 am »

so are there any 181 shrouds for sale? Or Danny can you make a 36hp-shaped doghouse shroud for me?  Smiley
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 01:14:02 am »

If you remove the heater ducts, you allso need to block of the two upper ducts that direct air to them from the fan. I have allso built a 36hp shroud with dog house internals.. Both ways are pretty straight forward
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 10:00:17 am »

If you remove the heater ducts, you allso need to block of the two upper ducts that direct air to them from the fan. I have allso built a 36hp shroud with dog house internals.. Both ways are pretty straight forward

Embarrassed  I Did not do it. I don't think to do this when I modify my shroud.

This is what I've done.
First picture is with the tin weld in his new place.
Second is to compare with original place.
Third is a shroud I have which comes out a bay window. I'm wonder if it is not a better design. As a bay window is use for heavy duty, maybe the shroud can provide a better cooling.

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 22:09:09 pm »

berger and j-f, your fan shrouds look awesome!!

but i don't get the method you explained j-f....

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 09:51:45 am »

Yes, I see that there is some others mods to do to have a perfect cooling with original shrouds...
I'm bored because my shroud is already painted and I don't like to don't make something the best I can. 
But, that motor is only a 1600cc with Kad's and a w110. I will increase the CR to 8.0-1 or 8.2-1. I don't think that I will have problem of overheating if it is well tuned. And I live in Belgium, temperature are rarely high...  Roll Eyes
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 17:19:30 pm »

Jim, get ahold of Scwimmer, he has a knack of finding those. At the last drag day I think he found a couple of them cheap and he turned em around that day cheap. Glenn

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 19:01:35 pm »

Jim, get ahold of Scwimmer, he has a knack of finding those. At the last drag day I think he found a couple of them cheap and he turned em around that day cheap. Glenn

cool I will ask him Sunday. Thanks Glenn

Jim
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 19:24:16 pm »

Yes, I see that there is some others mods to do to have a perfect cooling with original shrouds...
I'm bored because my shroud is already painted and I don't like to don't make something the best I can. 
But, that motor is only a 1600cc with Kad's and a w110. I will increase the CR to 8.0-1 or 8.2-1. I don't think that I will have problem of overheating if it is well tuned. And I live in Belgium, temperature are rarely high...  Roll Eyes

I've done the same as you JF and don't see any cooling probs on a 2054cc engine....

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 21:30:42 pm »

I've done the same as you JF and don't see any cooling probs on a 2054cc engine....

Wink Ok.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 01:20:29 am »

Are there any Type 181 shrouds left out there for sale?

Does anybody do the metal work of removing heater ducts and fill them in?

here you Go Jim!! Grin Grin http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=588481

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Ulcera

TheRagtopGarage

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 13:13:41 pm »

Hi guys this is my fan shroud with the ducts filled and finally powder painted  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 13:22:35 pm by Ulcera » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: