The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 21:59:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Cal Look Buggy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Cal Look Buggy  (Read 46280 times)
Bryan67

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2008, 17:41:16 pm »

Drag cars and off road stuff is fine and all... but i want to see more street buggies. I`m taking lowered in the front, skinny tires.... you know.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2008, 20:56:56 pm »

Like this?

Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 21:07:55 pm »

Hahaha your killing me.........
Bryan67

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 04:50:53 am »

BINGO. There was a black Manx in Hot VW`s years ago that was really cool. Skinny Centerlines, 135 and 185`s, herculon seats, and aluminum side panels. I think it had an IDA fed 1835... Inspirational.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:53:25 am by Bryan67 » Logged

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
ziplegs

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 09:20:23 am »

Heres a few more

henk

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 12:45:38 pm »

so you put your license plate in a place that they can still read it when you pull a wheelie looks great!!!
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 20:31:57 pm »

I nearly forgot about this little one - Almost DDS rims - and the rears only cost $1.37 yes you did read that correctly  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2008, 20:37:45 pm »

Love the paisley top! Very 60s.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Lee.C

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2008, 22:03:49 pm »

Yeah its way cooooool  Grin Grin Grin

Believe it or not but that Flower pattern is "Painted" into the gelcoat/mould so it is permanent and he did it all with a 2inch brush Wink Smiley

Check out www.eastcoastbuggies.co.uk

Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2008, 02:28:52 am »

You need to ask Dyno Don for pics of his INSANE candy apple red manx.  Dyno.... you have any pics of that car?  I remember working at ECI (Engine Component Imports) in Garden Grove.  (We shipped in containers of engines and trannys cut out of old VW's in Germany, then we sold them off as "good used" and/or rebuilt to new, sold complete, etc..  We probably sold more Dog House coolers and fan shrouds than anyone back then)
Anyways Dyno came in with the most beautiful red manx I had ever seen.  He took me for a ride in it and I practically sh*t myself.  It was crazy scary fast and squirrely.  It HAD to have wheelie bars.  Never been in a car before or since that wanted to be in the air so much.
Dyno, break out some pics.  Show off that sweet Manx ride that scared the hell out of me so many years ago.
Worm

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2008, 02:48:28 am »

Mr. Scott... here ya go:

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about... VERY nice car, Don!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2008, 06:50:38 am »

thanks for posting the pics guys..!!...for those of you that remember my stuff its always a good thing to remind ME TOO as i have forgotten much but with some prodding i can pull loose from the cobwebs of mind now and then some good stuff memory's....that was the ex car custom  race car that don melling drove/then sold to my friend scott bakken who sold it to me with a sweep together 1835 kadron engine that i smoked a built camaro in on my first outing with it...went on to redo everything a short time after...kent dahlberg from small car specialties always gave me new parts to r&d ...must have had the engine out of that buggy at least 10 times in a very short time trying to solve problems with the new brazillian cases/the first competition eliminator heads/clutch set ups/dellorto carbs..etc../basic engine was kept 1835 with an engle 140 cam/9:5 comp/42x37.5 comp heads/..basic stuff and sold to my friend tommy @ broad beans in japan where it became a track star again and ran 11:80's untouched....i know there are a few good stories to tell if i can just remember them...LOL
Rennsurfer

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2008, 07:49:48 am »

You're always welcome, Don. Good seein' ya tonight, too.

~Sarge
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2009, 15:40:50 pm »

thanks for posting the pics guys..!!...for those of you that remember my stuff its always a good thing to remind ME TOO as i have forgotten much but with some prodding i can pull loose from the cobwebs of mind now and then some good stuff memory's....that was the ex car custom  race car that don melling drove/then sold to my friend scott bakken who sold it to me with a sweep together 1835 kadron engine that i smoked a built camaro in on my first outing with it...went on to redo everything a short time after...kent dahlberg from small car specialties always gave me new parts to r&d ...must have had the engine out of that buggy at least 10 times in a very short time trying to solve problems with the new brazillian cases/the first competition eliminator heads/clutch set ups/dellorto carbs..etc../basic engine was kept 1835 with an engle 140 cam/9:5 comp/42x37.5 comp heads/..basic stuff and sold to my friend tommy @ broad beans in japan where it became a track star again and ran 11:80's untouched....i know there are a few good stories to tell if i can just remember them...LOL
Dyno That Was Don Mellings old Buggy Right? then Scott Bakken Owned It? never saw it after Scott got rid of it

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2009, 15:58:25 pm »

Awesome Buggy there Dyno...!! But tell me, is the kitcar/IKEA joke intentional?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
nicolas

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2009, 16:17:14 pm »

Grin

seems so.

well i haven't driven it in person, but i want a buggy since i went for some grub after SCC in Lee's buggy. just insane. my wife saw the smile on my face when i returned and knew what was up...  Roll Eyes  still no buggy though.
so Lee if you need a crazy person to make the trip up to Norway again. no problem i'll even wear the fishing pants. did i mention i can roll cigarettes...  Grin
Lee.C

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2009, 21:21:12 pm »

Grin

seems so.

well i haven't driven it in person, but i want a buggy since i went for some grub after SCC in Lee's buggy. just insane. my wife saw the smile on my face when i returned and knew what was up...  Roll Eyes  still no buggy though.
so Lee if you need a crazy person to make the trip up to Norway again. no problem i'll even wear the fishing pants. did i mention i can roll cigarettes...  Grin

There is NO way I am missing SCC09 - So you up for the ride  Huh We'll be cruzin with frank again  Smiley

nicolas

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2009, 22:05:00 pm »

Grin

seems so.

There is NO way I am missing SCC09 - So you up for the ride  Huh We'll be cruzin with frank again  Smiley

good so i don't need to hold a map!

more serious; yeah i am up for it, but need to check with the misses if i can go alone. otherwise it will be fisherpants i tell you  Wink
Tony M

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2009, 22:30:35 pm »

I have a customer that worked on the orig Manx - this is a copy of the original flier

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Tony M

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2009, 22:32:53 pm »

The picture was taken in Newport Beach behind Bruce's house

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2009, 22:59:16 pm »

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
volksnut

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2009, 23:57:13 pm »

This was mine, 12.30's @ 102

at Bug Jam

and at the photo shoot with Mike Key

on the cover
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 00:22:11 am by volksnut » Logged
jimi323

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2009, 00:07:49 am »

oh my God...is it a Swedish license plate?
IKEA.... Grin
Rennsurfer

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2009, 06:42:01 am »

I still say that the nicest Cal Look Manx was that light blue one from the early '80s with the BRM wheels. I can't believe that no one can produce a picture of that car. It was beautiful AND pretty fast.  C'mon, Worm... surely, you remember that car. Many nights, after our meetings, he'd be out there in the Larry's Pizza parking lot. I used to drool over that ride. Such a nicely done automobile. Great stance and a lotta detail.

~Sarge
streetvw

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2009, 07:33:07 am »

I've always liked this one and I don't usually like buggy's with the side pods fitted

here's another nice one that was featured in VoWo many years ago

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2009, 09:21:08 am »

I've always liked this one and I don't usually like buggy's with the side pods fitted

Almost perfect. Just needs somee small rectangular (Citroen 2CV?) headlights instead of those searchlights. One day I'll build a Buggy. I began collecting parts for one just before my life, er, changed ( Roll Eyes) – was a short wheelbase, 3.5in/8in Ercos, 2276, IDAs on nitrous etc etc... Cornwall would have been scared – and me too. Just as well it didn't happen, I guess! Probably wouldn't be around today! Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Joe_G

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2009, 10:07:17 am »

My old Imp

at The Goodwood Festival of Speed

at The VolksWorld show

at the photo shoot
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2009, 11:03:54 am »

I never liked these tupperware "cars" but that was until I had the pleasure to go for a ride in Monki`s beatiful buggy on a nice summer day last summer. It gave me the vibes and a real kick. Loved the way the engine sounded and the way his buggy handled the narrow roads. Thanks Monki... that was a good day.

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
ESH

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2009, 13:05:07 pm »

... Heres a shot of my NOS Meyers Manx ...

Cool shot. If i ever had one it would have to be a Manx, seeing that sat there bare shows how good the design is.  Cool

Sarge

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2009, 14:08:27 pm »

Two buggies I remember most belonged to Gary Rollison and Lloyd Mosher.  Rollison's was bright yellow and spent a good portion of it's time at Fleming & Aronson's shop on Howell.  A beautiful car with a large IDA motor, it wound up "parked" in the front office of F&A one day when the throttle stuck with Ron Fleming behind the wheel.  Fortunatly, no one was hurt and the car was "easily" repaired.  Lloyd's was red and he used to drive it on the street before it became a racer.  I remember getting a ride one day that put a huge smile on my face I'll not soon forget.  Maybe Fabs can come up with a pic or two?

DKP III
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: