The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 23:18:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351098 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Small Car Enterprises (SCE)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Small Car Enterprises (SCE)  (Read 4724 times)
FDK/mrpedrini

« on: February 24, 2008, 21:49:41 pm »

Hey guys, anybody heard of this vw shop (SCE) in Annaheim CA? I bought this licenseplate surround a while ago on a Dutch meeting and i'm verry curious what kind of shop this is or was.
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 02:32:11 am »

hi mr.padrini...small car specialties (SCS)..was a full on vw retail store in anaheim...lasted for several years selling just about anything one would want for their day driver vw...they also had an in house head service repair facility...it was the home for the world famous SCS SHOWDOWN /car show/store discount sales/and a bitchin bikini contest..!! the owner was under the gun to pay off coming loans and such and ended up closing the doors without any notification leaving customers and employees in the fog...hope this helps..?
Donny B.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 04:06:22 am »

Hey Dyno is SCS and SCE one and the same?

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 05:05:38 am »

The Phone# on the Plate frame Is the old SCS Service Center #

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 06:56:57 am »

I always thought that those two companies were connected. Cool lookin' car in that picture. Haven't seen those lenses in years. Which countries had those?

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
FDK/mrpedrini

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 09:21:33 am »

hi mr.padrini...small car specialties (SCS)..was a full on vw retail store in anaheim...lasted for several years selling just about anything one would want for their day driver vw...they also had an in house head service repair facility...it was the home for the world famous SCS SHOWDOWN /car show/store discount sales/and a bitchin bikini contest..!! the owner was under the gun to pay off coming loans and such and ended up closing the doors without any notification leaving customers and employees in the fog...hope this helps..?

Thanks for the reply dyno Don!!! Not such a cool company after all Undecided Got any pictures of those happenings? (the cool ones i meen Grin).

@ DKK_Fred: Don't know which country had those rear lenses. I think their from some kind of basic beetle (sparkäfer). I saw a lot of those lenses as replica's (cheap china sh#t), but these ones are featuring Hella badges Wink regards Mr pedrini....
Rennsurfer

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:01:33 am »

@ DKK_Fred: Don't know which country had those rear lenses. I think their from some kind of basic beetle (sparkäfer). I saw a lot of those lenses as replica's (cheap china sh#t), but these ones are featuring Hella badges Wink regards Mr pedrini....

I can't remember exactly, but I think that setup with the bumper mounted reverse light(s) and red bottom lenses came on certain countries... like Australia and maybe others. Reason that I ask, is I might be getting a late model Sedan and would want to run those. Thanks!

~Sarge
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 14:14:46 pm »

Small car specialty's,man thats way back.
Bought some stuff from them in the 80's when visiting california.

Bummer it went down like that Sad

Fast vw beetle's rule
Donny B.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 14:42:11 pm »

The German running boards on my '66 came from Small Car Specialties.  I bought two sets on a trip to the Jamboree in about 1989.  I think I paid less than $100 for two pair at the time. 

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 15:30:31 pm »

In 1990, I bought a set of Wilwood disc brakes from Small Car Specialties for the new drag car I was building – they were sold to me by some tall skinny guy with glasses... Mark Herbert!

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
FDK/mrpedrini

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 16:00:55 pm »

I can't remember exactly, but I think that setup with the bumper mounted reverse light(s) and red bottom lenses came on certain countries... like Australia and maybe others. Reason that I ask, is I might be getting a late model Sedan and would want to run those. Thanks!
Cool, are you out for a late looker?  Cool Cool Cool If you want to get a pair of those lenses try www.paruzzi.nl, they sell great repro's. The original Hella pieces are hard to find.... Regards Mr P
FDK/mrpedrini

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 16:17:09 pm »

In 1990, I bought a set of Wilwood disc brakes from Small Car Specialties for the new drag car I was building – they were sold to me by some tall skinny guy with glasses... Mark Herbert!

That's cool Keith! The aircooled scene is a small world after all Grin Regards Mr.P
Rennsurfer

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 16:31:54 pm »

Cool, are you out for a late looker?  Cool Cool Cool If you want to get a pair of those lenses try www.paruzzi.nl, they sell great repro's. The original Hella pieces are hard to find.... Regards Mr P

Thanks for the tip... yes, I'm considering a '68 or '69 Sedan. In which case, I'll try to get the all red or amber/red/red lenses with the remote reverse light(s).

~Sarge
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 17:25:47 pm »

I always thought that those two companies were connected. Cool lookin' car in that picture. Haven't seen those lenses in years. Which countries had those?
Look at the Bumper Brackets? and the Bracket Fender Gromets?? plus it has a 67 style reverse light

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 17:39:57 pm »

oops, my mistake however a 'small one' small car enterprise was a spin off owned by two guys ..hap and greg just a few blocks away and was a full shop facility that installed scs parts/engines etc..plus anything under the sun that needed to be done..hap ponce has since passed away and greg was working on chevys and other stuff upon last seeing him some years back...good guys with lots of knowledge..!!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 17:59:30 pm »

Look at the Bumper Brackets? and the Bracket Fender Gromets?? plus it has a 67 style reverse light

Yep, saw that. I'm referring to the late lenses. I remember seeing Aussie tail lights just like that in the '80s. Which also included having to run the '67 Type 1 reverse lights either single or double. Always dug on that look.

They came in amber/red/red or red/red/red.

~Sarge
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: