The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 06:42:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Carbs, carbs and MORE carbs....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Carbs, carbs and MORE carbs....  (Read 13404 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 00:13:00 am »

Yep! They ARE a pain for most people. Hence why I'll hopefully end up with a set for my 1915cc. Because I'm used to doing things the difficult way. It is how I rotate.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Hotrodvw

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 05:11:00 am »

That's why 'Weber Windows' came in to play.  I run 40mm Dells.........I dig 'em.  IDA's are the shiz are far as looks and performance go though. 

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
vwcab

peter

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2009, 23:02:36 pm »

Now that weare talking about carbs...............when building an engine for our cars,the most (?) use
the weber 48 ida carbs(and in callook land these are "THE" must have carbs).
But there are also weber "idf" carburettors.
Now my question (is this a stupid question?  Huh   ):what is the difference between these?
Can/will somebody help me out?

Thx,Peter
Nobody can help me out?  Huh
..............or explain?

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2009, 23:49:53 pm »

Everything! IDA's were made to be a race carb, IDF's were more geared towards street use. As far as I know, pretty much the only thing that is interchangeable are the jets.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
marc1951

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2009, 02:56:55 am »

IDFs have better progression circuits which makes them smoother when driving in traffic. The IDAs were made for wide open throttle, balls out racing so the part throttle smoothness is not so much a concern.
Personally I prefer the IDA, but then I always have my foot into it.
Anybody running a Holley Bug Spray has experianced the lack of progression circuits. You can get them to run well but it takes patience getting the right gap between the main jet mixture and the idle mixture.

Marc Buehler
DRA

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
vwcab

peter

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2009, 19:35:30 pm »

Thx for the info Zach & Marc.  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Donny B.

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2009, 20:07:22 pm »

I've used nothing but DCNFs on my dual carb motors, but what do I know.  At least they are old school.  That seems to be important here. LOL!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Jim Ratto

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2009, 20:47:32 pm »

Now that weare talking about carbs...............when building an engine for our cars,the most (?) use
the weber 48 ida carbs(and in callook land these are "THE" must have carbs).
But there are also weber "idf" carburettors.
Now my question (is this a stupid question?  Huh   ):what is the difference between these?
Can/will somebody help me out?

Thx,Peter
Nobody can help me out?  Huh
..............or explain?

having run both for years.....

The IDA's: on the surface, it's hard to come up with logical reasons to run these on a street car. Not that they run poorly (even in 2 prog hole setup), because if they're tuned to what your motor wants they are fully driveable. But it's the non logic that makes the 48's such a must have. If you have IDF's and you go for a ride in a hot car with IDAs, after that ride you'll want a set. They sound incredible, they pull harder all the way up, the engine seems to have an edge it never had with IDFs. It's a whole different game with IDAs.
The IDFs are good carbs for bus or a car you'd drive everywhere. I'd say start with 44IDFs if you buy them, as the 40 IDFs seem so soft on everything. Nice thing about IDFs is the air bypass circuits you can adjust (given you can even get to the screws to adjust them though). IDF's are a step up from Kadrons, that's the best way I can describe them. They pull nicely at low and mid rpm, good on freeway. Get ready for lots of swearing when you drop a cylinder because of idle jet plugging.

Rasser

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2009, 21:24:44 pm »

Get ready for lots of swearing when you drop a cylinder because of idle jet plugging.

Now that´s were the Dellorto DRLA comes in. Lovely carb with idle jets on top as the IDA.! 

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
vwcab

peter

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2009, 22:28:03 pm »

thx Jim   Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
jimi323

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2009, 13:35:40 pm »

i'm so curious about DCNFs cause nobody use it here in Italy...the most use IDF o DRLA..( maybe cause 36 & 40 idf & DRLA were easy to find on ALFAROMEO 33)
can someone talk me about DCNF? i see that are very used in States... are they older than Idf i think..right?
what cars mounted it?
thank u !
jimi323

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2009, 13:38:33 pm »

IDF's are a pain in the a** to adjust in a bug. Perfect for a bus though Wink
hi Roland..why u say that?
Donny B.

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2009, 15:37:53 pm »

I think DCNFs came on Ferarraris of Alfas.  I don't know which came first.  I have both a set of 44 DCNFs and 42 DCNFs currently, but I am using the 42s because they seem to be more driveable.  They don't make as much HP which makes sense as they are smaller.  They are very smooth with no flat spots from idle all the way up to over 6000 RPM.  Mine are Berg modified with Berg manifolds match ported to Berg heads.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
nicolas

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2009, 19:59:36 pm »

my experience between 40 dells, IDF's and DCNF's is that i like the DCNF's a bit better.

the IDF's and certainly the 40's are a bit underrated and i have to disagree with Jim. they are a very good carb for engines under 2000cc and will work great on a street/strip engine. sure idles clog up and they need some finetuning, but i think they respond very well and are with a bit off patience quite easy to keep in tune and good working order.
but i have to say i would rather have 40 dells over 40 idf's... they seem to have more power in them and just have that silky smooth transition from idle to mains built into them. the idea that dells are better then webers could be only my personal perception and be completely a thing between the ears.

so then comes the dcnf ( i run 42s) and they are just the ticket for me. they fit nice in a type3, look bulky like a type3 engine and just run great. recently the only thing i have noticed is just a little stumble when hitting the trottle in lower rpms. just a small hesitation when i hit the gas. but that is probally a jetting issue.
Allen Wiess

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2009, 20:52:04 pm »

Any carburetor is OLD SCHOOL........................  Kiss

Geers Engineering / LAT Lubricants
Sarge

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2009, 02:27:57 am »

Shocked  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  get OUT!!!! Grin

DKP III
streetvw

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2009, 15:35:42 pm »

Shocked  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  get OUT!!!! Grin

LOL!! but weres the love?

anyways your only telling him to get out cause you know he's right Sarge  Wink Wink Tongue
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2009, 15:48:33 pm »

Allen,

Great post!!! It had me laughing. The only thing about EFI is when you're on a long cruise and something electrical goes.  You can cripple a carb motor to the next repair stop.  With EFI you are dead in the water if electrical issues arise.  Otherwise, EFI is obviously far superior in all other circumstances.

Good to see you post.  The 67 looks great since the new paint job and refurbishing!

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: