The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 15:49:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351095 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  HARLEYS and HOT VWs! (1972)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HARLEYS and HOT VWs! (1972)  (Read 1634 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: March 06, 2008, 08:00:03 am »

In the early 70's I had so many moving violations that they could not record them fast enough at the Sacramento County police department. So, to cool things off I thought I had better try some different transporation for awhile.  A mechanic in Sacramento advertised that he would trade his Harley straight across for a Hot VW.  I was stunned to think that the ad was for real.

I took my 66 Street car downtown with the pink slip and came home with a 69 Harley chopper. After nearly dying on it a couple times, being run off onto the shoulder of the freeway, I finally got rid of it.  Pictured with my Harley is my old 1958 Chevy parts runner.  It was a wagon too.  In the background, in my garage, you can see a 67 Chop Top bug (vaguely) that I was finishing up the roof on.

What memories!

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 08:42:11 am »

Below is a shot of the back of the car that was pictured with the Harley.  This was a little while before I finished the doors and roofline.  Check out my crazy hair and clothes from 72! My kids would crack up if they saw this shot.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
LuftsickTero

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 10:12:25 am »

In the early 70's I had so many moving violations that they could not record them fast enough at the Sacramento County police department. So, to cool things off I thought I had better try some different transporation for awhile.  A mechanic in Sacramento advertised that he would trade his Harley straight across for a Hot VW.  I was stunned to think that the ad was for real.

To cool things off you got a HD? Cheesy Didn't a chopper attract cop's interest back then?

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: