The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 05:45:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  A '67 I owned briefly - does anyone recognize it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A '67 I owned briefly - does anyone recognize it?  (Read 4231 times)
Sam K

« on: March 09, 2008, 18:27:11 pm »

So a couple years ago, a friend tells me some story about a pink and yellow bug that he saw in the back of some shop, all dity and forgotten. The more he describes it, I become convinced that it was the same car guy brought into a shop I worked at in 1996 with this car that he had just bought in California that was on the cover of HotVW's in may of 1990. So I went home and dug through all my magazines and found that issue. The next I wnet to the shop where this bug was supposed to be and talked to the owner. It turns out that the previous owner of the bug had given it to him in lieu of a debt and he didn't have any interest in it, so it had just been sitting there for a few years. After a little negotiation, I was abe to purchase the bug for a very reasonble price.

I towed it home, changed the fluids, rebuilt the carbs, put a battery in it and it fired right up and ran really well. After I spent the better part of a weekend detailing it, it looked really good too. I kept it for a couple months and drove it a little bit, but I already had a couple other bug and it was a little goofy lookng for my tastes, so I sold it to a guy in Canada. The interesting thing is that I'm pretty sure it was a european model or something because it had sloping headlights and four lug wheels with disc brakes in front, (which are both easy to change) but it also didn't have emergency flashers and it looked like there was never a hole in the back of the dash for a switch. Anyway, that's the story of my brief association with the pink and yellow bug.

Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 19:28:29 pm »

damn i remember that cover,was a cool car too i remember.Nice purchase redwagon Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 21:22:41 pm »

Damn, I didnt recognize it until I saw the cover!  Cheesy

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Sam K

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 22:09:24 pm »

That car was the epitome of a late '80's "cal-looker". Lots of billet, prelude seats, Rossi headlights. It was really well done too. The paint scheme matched through the door jambs and the insides of the doors too. I hated to sell it, but you can't keep them all.
nicolas

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 07:45:11 am »

there is a car on the cover?  Huh

Grin
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 16:19:28 pm »

there is a car on the cover?  Huh

Grin

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy .........  Tongue

Der Kleiner Panzers
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 17:28:40 pm »

Yeah, that's what I meant!  Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Sam K

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 00:46:29 am »

I wonder if she has held up as well as the car 18 years later.
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 07:19:06 am »

I wonder if she has held up as well as the car 18 years later.

the car or the girl???
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 03:23:00 am »

The car was not a CAL LOOKER ever...Just a custom bug. The cal look has never deviated far from its origin of the forward rake, vw drag look.
RM

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 03:45:36 am »

X2.

Back in my DKK daze we wouldn't let cars like that into the club. We kinda stuck to a simpler profile. I sure the car was well done, but not my cup of koolaid either.

-jeffrey

Sam K

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 04:46:27 am »

Yeah, it wasn't my kind of car either. It was too nice to rip it apart and give it a makeover, though, so I sold it to a guy who really liked it the way it was.
Ivan

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 20:09:34 pm »

I heard that the person that thought up the graphics and the guy that painted the car both got 10 years in Folsom correctional facility soon after the issue of Hot VWs came out.  Shocked

Actually, I think I might just have made that up.

But I've got to say the grief those colors and wonky ass lines of the graphics are doing to my eyes, they really should have both been locked up. 

Can you imagine Chip Foose coming up with this car on Overhaulin? I can't!  When they did the 'reveal' the car owner would probably punch him!  Grin

I remember seeing that car twice before - once on the cover of Hot VWs many moons ago. the second time was, oh, actually my memory isn't as good as it once was - I just realized that I was thinking about something similar I recall seeing in the bowl of my toilet shortly after I drank a whole bottle of vodka for a bet.

Still, I can't say I wasn't guilty of a few VW style crimes back in the 80's, so perhaps I shouldn't cast the first stone...

P.S. All of the above was written as  a bit of fun, so please take it as such. The car is a typical 80's ride, and we should respect the fact that we all learnt a lot thanks to cars like this. Mainly that...

I'll leave it  there.  Wink

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 20:12:28 pm by Ivan » Logged
Sam K

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 01:03:59 am »

It was more like something you would see on "Pimp My Ride" except it doesn't have a fishtank or disco ball in it.
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 01:37:41 am »

I was thinkin more like "Sodomize my Ride" !

-j.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: