The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 04:36:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350845 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  How did the old guys launch?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: How did the old guys launch?  (Read 35991 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2008, 16:32:31 pm »

Died with the combo you're going to build and the amount of hp you're expecting you can run with a lightened flywheel i bet.
I would go with a smaller diameter tire like the 185/195 and put a superdiff at least in your box if you wanna launch good.

Otherwise on the 12th of april at you dvk meeting i can give you some pointers of how i do it Cool

sorry to get off topic, but Sheep ran a motor very similar to what Dieds will be running.....really bad tempered 1914 that kept within a fender of my 2276 out on our private 1/4 mile. Anyway, Sheep ran 185 radials, stock height rear axle, with Z bar, and a Crown 6lb aluminum flywheel. Sheep's car didn't bog down when he dropped the hammer, it would spin the tires and then extend front shocks up.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2008, 18:43:47 pm »

He never broke his 'box?
So, how heavy should my flywheel be, ideally?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2008, 18:45:53 pm »

He never broke his 'box?
So, how heavy should my flywheel be, ideally?

I'd use 12.5lb

No sheep had a built trans in his red rider.
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2008, 00:23:52 am »

2x that Died and superdiff your box Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2008, 00:33:25 am »

yeah, but when you run a superdiff, don't you also have to run HD side covers? etc etc.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Jim Ratto

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2008, 06:21:24 am »

yeah, but when you run a superdiff, don't you also have to run HD side covers? etc etc.

nope.... you don't have to
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2008, 11:08:30 am »

Like Jim said Died,not necessarily. Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »

Mmh, sounds interesting. Smiley
Still, I have no idea how to swap a diff! I'm afraid I'll have to outsource it...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2008, 11:30:59 am »

Its like brushing your teeth Died,haha
Only thing is when you buy a superdiff it comes with 2 spider gears and you need 4 so need to look for 2.
There is one for sale on the keversite for 150 euros including all 4 spider gears.

Takes some work to install it but its pretty straight forward Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Prowagen

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2008, 14:17:01 pm »

Wow this is a great thread for us rookies!

I never knew tire size was as critical, I always thought the wider the better for traction!

So I presume the trouble with bigger tyres is the width of the tread pattern giving you too much grip? Or is it also to do with the overall height of the tire? Say what would happen if you ran a non cal look tire that was 205 but a low profile like a 45?

Cheers,
Rob.
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2008, 20:54:44 pm »

Great thread! 

As I remember back to my early passes down OCIR I don't remember the track surface being "treated" like tracks are today.  I don't think they had special tractors with sprayers running a patch of VHT down the lanes, did they?

I "grew up" on the e-brake preloading approach and used it successfully to run 12's and not break gearboxes or CV's.  Everyone now seems to have moved to linelok's combined with 2-steps.  So to keep up with the Jones's I did this too.  It was a hard transition to go from "preload and rev" to "mat it and release the switch."   Wink

I have a few slow 60 ft times due to not releasing the button.  DOH! Shocked Roll Eyes

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2008, 22:23:16 pm »

our little low dollar '66 drag sedan had line lock.
SODA sheared teeth off 4.37 ring gear after about 4 passes

we showed ring gear to Jim K at Der Trans and he knew instantly "using linelock huh?"

Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2008, 16:31:02 pm »

I run with a line lock and never had problems with it,also preloaded the car.

In the pro stocker there is a 2stepline locker.
@prowagon i think it has to do with the tire height rather then width.Width is traction Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
Prowagen

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2008, 18:07:54 pm »

@prowagon i think it has to do with the tire height rather then width.Width is traction Cool

So if you ran a wide but low profile tire this would be the same as running a 165/185 but you would have better traction surely?

Rob.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2008, 00:21:49 am »

yeah, so i guess what you're asking is... width or height? do we want a 165 tyre cos of its width or the 2cm it is shorter?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2008, 18:05:40 pm »

prowagen in some way yes,only you have to look at your hp output too.
Dont expet a 1679 to run 12 inch wide slicks and launch like the space shuttle Grin

Its a combo you have to try,there is no fast rule of that tire width and height will work for that hp Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2008, 05:56:36 am »

Super interesting thread!
The COMBO, thats a magical thing, and so hard to figure out on your own...

But there are a couple of things I'm a bit uncertain about after reading this thread...
Sarge talks about narrow tires to prevent breakages in his first post... then it sort of drifts over to the width of the tires, but aren't you really talking about the weight of the rotating mass, it seems like it, as flywheels comes into play?
hmmm
Narrow tires saves gearboxes
Lighter wheels helps acceleration
Heavy flywheel helps getting heavy car moving
Spinning wheels compensates for a too "tall" gearbox (or to weak engine Wink)

uhh or something... it's getting late Smiley

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2008, 11:40:25 am »

I'm no scientist but it all depends on alot of factors,i do as i'm told from guys who already have years of racing under their belt.

The combo of your engine
combo of your gearbox
tires
weight of the car
condition of the strip,concrete in the launch part,traction compound etc
 etc Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2008, 10:31:01 am »

Guys, I don't want this thread to die as I NEED TO LEARN!!!

So, the smaller tyres, is if for the shorter side wall height or for the lower width? I appreciate that nowdays most people are running larger motors than back in the day, and so are a little less likeley to bog - so what would be a good compromise tyre size taking into account all of the above, trying to optimise tread width, weight, and sidewall height?

thansk for the great info!

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2008, 18:30:43 pm »

i understand that a stock flywheel will help keep the revs, which is why it launches better.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Neil Davies

« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2008, 12:16:29 pm »

i understand that a stock flywheel will help keep the revs, which is why it launches better.

But if it bogs, it really bogs!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
EspenX

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2008, 18:56:38 pm »

Most important to use your hand brake to "load" the gearbox before blasting off the line (let the clutch out a bit while your staged with the hand brake pulled up a bit and your thumb holding down the button...you'll feel the car pull down in back).  Running 165 X 15's, I remember 20lbs of air pressure and coming off the line about 5000 rpm, seeing the tach jump to 7000 (tire spin) then lowering a few hundred rpm (grab) before climbing back to 7000 and the shift to second gear.  I know those 205/70's look cool and all, but I feel you'd be more prone to trans breakage with your engine size running big tires.  Just my $.02...there are lots of other opinions here, I'm sure!  Good luck Wink

Ohh, please bring this thread back to life, it's one of my absolute favorites Smiley Thank you so much Sarge, for taking the time to explain it step by step in the post above. It is probably common knowledge for some, but for rookies like me, it seems like a nugget of gold If anyone have more old school tips like that, please post them here!
Sarge

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2008, 04:20:58 am »

Most important to use your hand brake to "load" the gearbox before blasting off the line (let the clutch out a bit while your staged with the hand brake pulled up a bit and your thumb holding down the button...you'll feel the car pull down in back).  Running 165 X 15's, I remember 20lbs of air pressure and coming off the line about 5000 rpm, seeing the tach jump to 7000 (tire spin) then lowering a few hundred rpm (grab) before climbing back to 7000 and the shift to second gear.  I know those 205/70's look cool and all, but I feel you'd be more prone to trans breakage with your engine size running big tires.  Just my $.02...there are lots of other opinions here, I'm sure!  Good luck Wink

Ohh, please bring this thread back to life, it's one of my absolute favorites Smiley Thank you so much Sarge, for taking the time to explain it step by step in the post above. It is probably common knowledge for some, but for rookies like me, it seems like a nugget of gold If anyone have more old school tips like that, please post them here!

Speed secrets cost BEER Wink

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2008, 05:47:45 am »

You used to be a steal, Sarge. Now you're getting way too expensive!

I also park at Nick's.
ian c

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2008, 06:17:10 am »

I "grew up" on the e-brake preloading approach and used it successfully to run 12's and not break gearboxes or CV's.  Everyone now seems to have moved to linelok's combined with 2-steps.  So to keep up with the Jones's I did this too.  It was a hard transition to go from "preload and rev" to "mat it and release the switch."   Wink

I have a few slow 60 ft times due to not releasing the button.  DOH! Shocked Roll Eyes

if you wire a switch to your clutch you dont have to worry about the button .
if you wire it to your handbrake , you can launch just like you used too !!!

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Neil Davies

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2008, 11:03:03 am »

if you wire a switch to your clutch you dont have to worry about the button .
if you wire it to your handbrake , you can launch just like you used too !!!

I did that - had a bar welded into the back of the handbrake that would operate a microswitch for the 2-step. Let off the handbrake and the MSD would go onto the higher rev limit. I added a switch onto the dash to switch the 2 step on to limit burn-out RPMs and did forget to turn that off a few times though... Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
ian c

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2008, 11:08:50 am »

i'm going with 2-step and line lock on the clutch switch
hidden switch on the dash to activate it
modifield "fuel" light in a 3-way motometer guage to let me know its activated !!!

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Sarge

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2008, 16:34:07 pm »

Wires, switches, line-lock, clutch switch, 2-step, MSD..., my head's spinnin' Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
GreenTom

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2008, 17:45:17 pm »

hehe Smiley shouldn't it be "less is more" Tongue

Darge don't you like wires and stuff Wink

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Sarge

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2008, 18:09:41 pm »

Serge, don't you like wires and stuff Wink

Only if they involve blowing things up Wink Grin