The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 23:47:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Berg pulleys
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Berg pulleys  (Read 12668 times)
airstuff

« on: March 20, 2008, 10:35:43 am »

I am looking at the Berg pulleys,and their technical information about Equalizer and Achiever pulleys.

I want to buy a stock diametar pulley.

What are your real experiences,which pulley is the best for street use,Achiever or Equalizer?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 10:37:55 am by cal-look » Logged
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 10:51:11 am »

from GeneBerg.com

Why an all steel pulley when most people tell you that you want something lightweight? That is because most people simply do not know the truth about what is needed to provide greater engine life and spread their ignorance with hype and sales talk or maybe they want your engine to fail prematurely. Let's take a look at some good common sense.
First, the stock engine when never turned over 4400 RPM with its stock flywheel has little need for this device or our Equalizer pulley. They are unable to generate the conditions that this eliminates. In the early 60's, we started to lighten the flywheel and/or increase the performance and RPM range of the engines and either of these changes pounded the cases out. We then developed proper counterweighting techniques and it stopped this problem. For years, people have tried (unsuccessfully) to copy our exclusive procedures to do this. This completely cured that problem, however, as the power, RPM and acceleration rates increased more new problems were encountered.
We had completely cured the new problems with our race engine by installing our Equalizer pulley in the early 70's, however, did not realize it until my 138 HP bus showed the #1 main working in the case at the 135,000 mile inspection. Now, many would say, "So what, that engine obviously should show such wear at that mileage, especially with that HP and the use it had been subjected to." Personally, I felt it was a problem that should be addressed so I could go 200,000 plus miles without this, especially when no other signs of wear were there and I knew immediately what was causing the wear.
The light pulley allows the nodes (vibration like a guitar string) to travel up the crank from the pulley end to the flywheel end of the crankshaft. Naturally, the flywheel stops this node at that point transferring it into the case. By adding the extra weight to the pulley end with our heavy pulley it stops this from occurring, no longer being sent to the flywheel end.
So why more than one weight? Another good question. I found that different acceleration rates and RPM’s required different weights and diameters of pulleys. Naturally, the all out race engine would use the original Berg power pulley size Equalizers. All stock VW engines with lightened flywheels and/or higher performance up to 6000 RPM, and engines that require full cooling must use the stock size pulleys. Engines that are turned over 6000 from time to time must have at least the Achiever and if often in the 5500 to 6500 our Equalizer would be extremely smart. If you have any doubts - get the Equalizer. We can assist you in the selection of our Achiever or Equalizer at the time you make your purchase. All Berg pulleys are dynamically balanced. Both use the stock pulley bolt/washer or our new GB 435S bolt and Belleville washers and come with copyrighted Berg instructions and NEW higher torque specifications.
Another factor is belt groove wear. Berg steel pulleys will provide up to 10 times longer life as compared to an aluminum pulley.

The Berg "Equalizer"

This adding of weight is nothing new in automotive applications. Chevy, Ford, and many cars install a harmonic balancer dampner on the nose end of the crankshaft to absorb some of the engine's harmonic vibrations (nodes). We originally designed this for our drag race cars to have more weight on the pulley end of the crankshaft to help EQUALIZE weight on both ends of the crankshaft. It stopped crank twist and aided the drag race cars as they left the starting line harder. Originally, we felt that a fluid, spring (Fisher type), or viscous dampner would improve the VW engine even more, however, all of our tests proved that none of those types of devices did anything more than what the Berg Equalizer was already providing.
The Berg Equalizers are extremely popular for sand drag 2nd gear starts and dune running. Offered in two sizes for high performance street cars or engines turning over 6000 RPM. One piece, solid steel construction assures concentricity and strength. Silver nickel finish with our exclusive hard anodized degree ring. Originated by Gene Berg in 1983. Made in USA by Gene Berg Enterprises.

I've used a Berg standard size pulley for years on my 1776 with 125 cam/6000rpm and changed to a power size pulley when i went to an FK10 and 7500rpm and started losing fanbelts with the stock size, as per usual Berg standards both pulleys are fantastic quality and extremely difficult to remove!  Smiley

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
richie

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 11:03:37 am »

I am looking at the Berg pulleys,and their technical information about Equalizer and Achiever pulleys.

I want to buy a stock diametar pulley.

What are your real experiences,which pulley is the best for street use,Achiever or Equalizer?

my experience is that they dont have any!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   And it doesnt look like they will in the near future Angry

But I have good luck with mine,full size equalizer

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Udo

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 12:48:33 pm »

I have some equalizer in stock  Wink and i think it was one reason why my last crank got 10 years old  Huh

Udo
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 12:51:08 pm by Udo » Logged

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 18:08:25 pm »

I make them, got them on the shelf if anyone needs one.

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
airstuff

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 18:16:47 pm »

You make the Berg ones?
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 18:30:26 pm »

You make the Berg ones?

no not the Berg ones, but they look just like them. and are the same weight and i machine in the timing marks insted of using a sticker.

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Scott Novak

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 01:53:39 am »

I've been using a stock diameter Berg Equalizer pulley on a 1600 cc engine with a stock non-counterweighted crankshaft and a non-lightened flywheel for about 4 years now.  If it has reduced my acceleration any I haven't noticed.  But I wasn't driving my Beetle for about a month while I was installing new pistons, cylinders, and cylinder heads, so I didn't have a good A-B comparison.

The engine has a stock 34 PICT-3 carb, stock camshaft, 1.25:1 rocker arms on Berg rocker shafts, mildly ported and polished cylinder heads with stock sized valves, a crappy Empi single tip echaust, a Mallory vacuum advance distributor, and a Jacobs Pro Street ignition with a Jacobs Ultra Torquer coil and Jacobs Energy Core ignition wires.

I have no problems keeping up with traffic in town or on the freeway.  I wouldn't hesitate to install a Berg Equalizer or Achiever pulley on any engine.

I bought it new on ebay from some fool that didn't think he needed it, because he was only going to drag race.  His loss, My gain!

Now that it's getting warmer, I'm about to install a Berg 1-3/8" exhaust and dual 40 IDF carbs with Berg manifolds.

I talked with a local racer that said he had less timing scatter with the Berg Equalizer pulley installed.  He also said his engine seemed to idle better with the Berg Eoualizer pulley.

Berg parts are often sold out as soon as a batch is made.  Sometimes you have to wait quite a awhile to buy them.

Look at the ads on http://www.thesamba.com/  Someone just sold a Berg Achiever pulley there a few days ago.  Berg pulleys come up for sale there every so often.

I'm not familiar with the other brands of heavy steel pulleys so I won't comment on them.

Scott Novak
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 04:16:58 am »

Yup, the achiever... I PMed the guy. Replied and told me it was pending.
Same deal with the Carlos Santana. Thesamba is useless for pulleys  Undecided

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Scott Novak

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 06:35:21 am »

You have to be quick on the Samba.  If the price is low or the part is in high demand they sell very quickly on The Samba.  I've had very good luck buying used parts on there.

On ebay I have problems with at least 60% of the parts I buy.  Either the parts are not as good as described, defective, or they don't pack the parts properly and they arrive broken.

I have noticed that whenever BERG is out of stock on one of their parts, someone quickly puts one up for sale on the Samba for far more than the Berg new price.

I'm curious about the Empi Achiever pulley.  Does anyone know if this is just a cheap knockoff, or did Berg sell EMPI rights to make them, etc?  I don't trust any of the new EMPI parts.

There is one for sale on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-TYPE-1-BILLET-6-TYPE-1-CRANK-PULLEY-EMPI-ACHIEVER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6755QQihZ024QQitemZ370034433079QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Volksman,  Do you have a website, or photos of your pulleys?  I like the idea of the degree marks being machined into the pulley.

I'm also curious about the serpentine belt systems that people are selling.  Do they really work any better than the stock belt and pulley?

Scott Novak
airstuff

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 08:57:15 am »

I don't know what's the quality and balance of other pulleys Empi&no name,compared to the Berg......If the new Empi is $85 and Berg $105,then I would rather give a  little more for the Berg.
airstuff

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 09:54:40 am »

Here is a huge 7.5 pounder

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=556170
Udo

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 10:14:42 am »

I don't know what's the quality and balance of other pulleys Empi&no name,compared to the Berg......If the new Empi is $85 and Berg $105,then I would rather give a  little more for the Berg.

This is a good choice . I don't know why everything must get copied . Those people don't have own ideas .

Udo

Scott Novak

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 14:27:15 pm »

As usual, when Berg is out of stock people jack up their prices.  The Berg catalog price is $110.50

http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=7_224

Scott Novak
richie

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 14:38:30 pm »

As usual, when Berg is out of stock people jack up their prices.  The Berg catalog price is $110.50

http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=7_224

Scott Novak

But that price is only for walk in,cash paying,its considerably more if you buy by CC,or are to far away to walk in.So its not a fair representation of what the seller may have paid originally.

cheers richie,uk

Torben Alstrup

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 16:43:24 pm »

CB sells O.C.E achievers, at about 70 bucks  I think it is.

I have those in stock if youre on the Euro side of the pond, or buy them from Udo. Wink
T
Eddie DVK

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 12:40:41 pm »

I have some equalizer in stock  Wink and i think it was one reason why my last crank got 10 years old  Huh

Udo

Do you guys also make one for a Typ 4 (same size as a Typ 1 for use with upright cooling on a typ 4)?

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
dave greiner

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 20:37:43 pm »

This is a good choice . I don't know why everything must get copied . Those people don't have own ideas .

Udo
Who copied who?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 23:50:35 pm by dave greiner » Logged
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 23:15:46 pm »

Grin
I would seriusly check the Empi ones before installing it. If they have the same inaccuracies as the other pulleys apart from the black anodized (that i have seen) there is a risk that it doesnt fit the case.
The anodized ones seems to have better tolerances. Dont ask me why. i have just noticed it.
T
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 03:27:55 am »

I would call the Bergs on the availabilty of there pully's, I only use there pullys, and nothing else. I do not to use copies.

VW Classic 2012
airstuff

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 08:41:33 am »

I mailed them

They don't know when will the production be finished.

At the moment,they don't have any in stock.
dave greiner

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 23:52:56 pm »

Grin
I would seriusly check the Empi ones before installing it. If they have the same inaccuracies as the other pulleys apart from the black anodized (that i have seen) there is a risk that it doesnt fit the case.
The anodized ones seems to have better tolerances. Dont ask me why. i have just noticed it.
T
I just measured the threaded area on the Empi 3 lb, the 5.5lb, a genuine Santana, a Berg and an OE pulley. They all measured the same.

Proformancemotoring.com
Jøran Larssen

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 00:28:27 am »

Do you make them for sand seal too? If so, I can bring my sandseal over to the Volksworld show for measurment.

SCC 2010: 11.103 @ 192.00 km/h
Peter

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 09:54:11 am »

how much is it for one martin?
airstuff

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 21:59:24 pm »

CB sells O.C.E achievers, at about 70 bucks  I think it is.

I have those in stock if youre on the Euro side of the pond, or buy them from Udo. Wink
T

CB equalizers are anodized black?
airstuff

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 13:32:07 pm »

any pic of your pulleys?
richie

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 18:55:21 pm »

Apparently berg will have them in next week:-)

cheers richie,uk

John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 19:00:16 pm »

I'd rather use the Berg pulley, that's to much mass spinning , to be dicking around with something from Mr. Slug.

I also park at Nick's.
airstuff

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 13:49:58 pm »

Apparently berg will have them in next week:-)

cheers richie,uk

getting one then  Cheesy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: