The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 15:17:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  License Plates & Frames
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: License Plates & Frames  (Read 83877 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« on: March 23, 2008, 18:27:40 pm »

I've been collecting license plates and frames since I was I was in my early teens. Here a few that I just found. Mr. Rayburn knows how I acquired my 1969 Renfree ones. HAHA!! Feel free to share, John.

Some plastic later ones from the '70s/'80s.

I have a lotta Porsche ones, too. But these are my two faves in the collection. I have a few of the gold Circle ones and the black plastic ones.

I have a few cool license plates from the '50s, '60s, '70s, & '80s. I'll post those up, sometime in the future.

So... let's see YOURS.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 18:41:53 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Sam K

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 18:37:20 pm »

Nice collection!
guillaume

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 18:40:05 pm »

Nice collection.

I have a Renfree licence plaqte frame too. It need rechrome. What is the story behinf the Renfree plates frames? I know that their were a drag vw, but don't remember which one ? Huh

I also have 4 Jus Bugs plate frames NOS, and a Keep on Buggin frame.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 18:43:12 pm »

waouwwwwwwwww mark  Shocked Shocked Shocked just one in my eyes the dkk one  lil'war cars   the class  Cool Cool

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 19:03:52 pm »

I have a friend who lives in hermosa beach.

Don't have very many now, I to have a renfree frame, econo, plastic VW trends.  I have two from NY on there way.  Looking for some from Las Vegas.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 21:33:05 pm »

On the GTV... For my '67 (hometown dealership Smiley)... And for the Fastback project

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 22:46:35 pm »

Mark's sister was car shopping, and came across a certain type 3 that Mark was asked his opinion of. A rather unremarkable car , but with a paticular feature. Renfree Orange plate frames. Mark talked his sister into buying the car so he could aquire the plate frames. I don't remember if he ever confessed or not. She went on to paint the car a horrible blue that looked just like an Easter egg! But none of that mattered, Mark got his prize!!

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 23:38:15 pm »

Cool frames, Zach.

John, I cracked up, at Nick's, when I found out that you still remembered that story after all of these years. She got that car from a priest for dirt cheap. He had bought it new in '69 and I loved the way it looked as a white car. I detailed it inside and out for her when she bought it. She already picked out her own frames for it and it still had the original black plates. Then, she painted it Easter Egg Blue. YUCK! Oh well... I still have the frames. HAHA!! I thought they were cool in 1981 or '82 and they're still neat to look at, now. I might clean 'em up and put 'em on my '67. We'll see.

BTW, if anyone has a set of black CA plates in decent condition, I'll trade some frames or buy them outright. I need the beginning letter to be T or higher. I prefer T or U but I'll settle if the plates are nice enough. Sadly, my car has new plates and I hate 'em. The rest of my cars have old/orig. plates and I gotta be consistent. HAHA!!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 23:48:46 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 23:42:59 pm »

LMAO" here is one for you fred

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 01:37:15 am »

Cool frames, Zach.

John, I cracked up, at Nick's, when I found out that you still remembered that story after all of these years. She got that car from a priest for dirt cheap. He had bought it new in '69 and I loved the way it looked as a white car. I detailed it inside and out for her when she bought it. She already picked out her own frames for it and it still had the original black plates. Then, she painted it Easter Egg Blue. YUCK! Oh well... I still have the frames. HAHA!! I thought they were cool in 1981 or '82 and they're still neat to look at, now. I might clean 'em up and put 'em on my '67. We'll see.

BTW, if anyone has a set of black CA plates in decent condition, I'll trade some frames or buy them outright. I need the beginning letter to be T or higher. I prefer T or U but I'll settle if the plates are nice enough. Sadly, my car has new plates and I hate 'em. The rest of my cars have old/orig. plates and I gotta be consistent. HAHA!!

Did you ever confess to her why you talked her into the car???

I also park at Nick's.
lawrence

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 02:18:03 am »

That "Bracket Racer-O.C.I.R" is cool!!

Here is what I have on my 56. When my grandpa sold his Pontiac Cheiftan, in the late 50s-early 60s, he pulled this plate off and hung it up in the garage. It stayed there for 40+ years and then I put it on my car. I never met him Cry but I think he would be proud.

The rest of the plates were also on various cars and trucks my grandpa owned.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 04:25:27 am »

Heres a couple I have, the white one is my front plate

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 04:51:23 am »

Cool frames, Zach.

Thanks! I found the USA Scat one in Ensenada, Mexico a few years ago. Never seen or heard of another one like it... And it fits the plate for sh!t... the plate will have to be trimmed! The Keep on Buggin' one I got at a Drag Day long before I ever found my GTV. I bought the whole '67 decklid and black plate that was on it because I didnt have the tools to remove it, lol. I then sold the decklid, gave the plate to a friend, and still broke even. Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 06:15:34 am »

Cool frames, Zach.

I don't think you'll be able to title the car with black and yellows.  Sad

I see you have my much coveted Ala Moana frame too!  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 07:59:55 am »

Rick, I've already looked into it. After January, I'll be able to legally register my '67 with black plates... STOKED on that! I forgot who, in the club, got a few of us those Ala Mo' frames. I wanna say Tod Fuller, yes? Either him or McNew.

Shubee and Zach... cool frames/plates. Keep 'em coming.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:17:58 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
simon uk

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 13:31:05 pm »

nice collection! I have about 20 california dealer frames at any one time hung on my garage wall, I might go and take a pic of them all but I dont know how to post them up on here.

Hawaii frames seem to be real rare, and command a price premium over california of about 100%.

Cheers, Si.
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 15:01:50 pm »

I'm after a Compton frame if anyone has a spare Grin

I also picked up a pair of black santa monica frames for £10 at a swapmeet Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Rennsurfer

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 15:33:22 pm »

Did you ever confess to her why you talked her into the car???

That's actually a good question, John. I'll have to call her and find out. Lawrence, great pics of those old plates/frames. When O.C.I.R. started announcing that they'd be shutting down, I bought t-shirts, stickers, and that lic. frame for some future memories.

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 17:19:34 pm »

Rick, I've already looked into it. After January, I'll be able to legally register my '67 with black plates... STOKED on that! I forgot who, in the club, got a few of us those Ala Mo' frames. I wanna say Tod Fuller, yes? Either him or McNew.

Shubee and Zach... cool frames/plates. Keep 'em coming.

Yes it was Tod. Cool news about the plates... everyone was telling me I was gonna have to give up my TTT894 Wink

We have to find you a pair of "clear title" plates. I may have a source. He had a set of clear YOM plates for my '26 but then I decided to get personalized instead.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 17:21:48 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

Sarge

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 17:24:23 pm »

Nice collection.

I have a Renfree licence plaqte frame too. It need rechrome. What is the story behinf the Renfree plates frames? I know that their were a drag vw, but don't remember which one ? Huh

I also have 4 Jus Bugs plate frames NOS, and a Keep on Buggin frame.

Dave Vanderbeke owned and drove the Renfree sponsored bug back in the day, Guillaume.  I worked at Renfree in 1972 as a parts technician...Dave was shop foreman.  My plate frame is from Ballard Motors (VW dealer) that was in Anaheim at Lemon and the 91 fwy...it's where the car was originally sold from in 1967.

DKP III
Rennsurfer

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 17:24:43 pm »

Yes it was Tod. Cool news about the plates... everyone was telling me I was gonna have to give up my TTT894 Wink

We have to find you a pair of "clear title" plates. I may have a source. He had a set of clear YOM plates for my '26 but then I decided to get personalized instead.

Yeah, don't give up that T plate for your beige car, Rick. Unless, of course, you're gonna give 'em to me. HAHA!! Wishful thinking. I'll settle for higher letters, but I'm looking for T or U as the beginning one. Gotta have front and rear, too. I have till Jan. but I'm startin' the search early.

Oh and a query for the Lounge; is it easy to walk into a DMV and get a new Month sticker for the left side of the plate? Mine is so faded, it's not readable. Do I need to remove the plate and show them, provide a picture, or will they simply take my word for it? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 17:27:17 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 17:31:42 pm »

Yeah, don't give up that T plate for your beige car, Rick. Unless, of course, you're gonna give 'em to me. HAHA!! Wishful thinking. I'll settle for higher letters, but I'm looking for T or U as the beginning one. Gotta have front and rear, too. I have till Jan. but I'm startin' the search early.

Oh and a query for the Lounge; is it easy to walk into a DMV and get a new Month sticker for the left side of the plate? Mine is so faded, it's not readable. Do I need to remove the plate and show them, provide a picture, or will they simply take my word for it? Thanks in advance.

Yes... I'm sure the demand and prices for Black & Yellows will be increasing substantially as January approaches.

I do all my registration stuff through AAA. All I've ever needed was a copy of my registration to show the expiration date and they gave me the month sticker. I usually get a new one every few years.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 17:36:58 pm »

Yes... I'm sure the demand and prices for Black & Yellows will be increasing substantially as January approaches.

I do all my registration stuff through AAA. All I've ever needed was a copy of my registration to show the expiration date and they gave me the month sticker. I usually get a new one every few years.

Yeah, Joe's always telling me to switch from State Farm to AAA. So, the other day, he and I drive over to his agent's office. We sit down and I tell her the details that she needed to quote me a policy amount. WOW! Soon as my current policy on my cars expires, I'm switchin' over! Way cheaper and I dig the fact that they fully handle the registration stuff. I hate dealing with the DMV local offices. Even the fact that I've been using their appointment system since the '80s... still a pain. Plus the office is very close to my house and right alongside the main runway (three zero) at LGB.

~Sarge
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 17:37:17 pm »

Oh Zack, The Scat one. So Cool!

Done ? Not Yet.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2008, 17:39:48 pm »

Yeah, Joe's always telling me to switch from State Farm to AAA. So, the other day, he and I drive over to his agent's office. We sit down and I tell her the details that she needed to quote me a policy amount. WOW! Soon as my current policy on my cars expires, I'm switchin' over! Way cheaper and I dig the fact that they fully handle the registration stuff. I hate dealing with the DMV local offices. Even the fact that I've been using their appointment system since the '80s... still a pain. Plus the office is very close to my house and right alongside the main runway (three zero) at LGB.

You don't have to have insurance with them... just pick up a membership. It's about $60. If you switch to AAA insurance, you'll need a membership anyway. I have all my cars insured with them. The '26 is about 1/2 what anyone else charges.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 17:43:17 pm »

You don't have to have insurance with them... just pick up a membership. It's about $60. If you switch to AAA insurance, you'll need a membership anyway. I have all my cars insured with them. The '26 is about 1/2 what anyone else charges.

Yep, Joe's told me about that for years, too. But their rates are way cheaper than what I'm paying, and I've had a clear record for 20+ years. (knock on wood)

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2008, 18:18:38 pm »

Yep, Joe's told me about that for years, too. But their rates are way cheaper than what I'm paying, and I've had a clear record for 20+ years. (knock on wood)
                                       Mark, you'll be happy that the fuzz doesn't gang up on us anymore. They chase after th e JT's now! It's alot easier to keep a clean record!

I also park at Nick's.
IP359

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 18:48:41 pm »

Mine..

ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 18:59:59 pm »

On the GTV... For my '67 (hometown dealership Smiley)... And for the Fastback project

The SCAT plate is very cool to say the least.  Do you know when it was made? Just try to figure who came out with it first EMPI or SCAT ??

Der Kleiner Panzers
jick

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2008, 19:07:19 pm »

here are my two...

oh...and your right Art....zachs scat one is cool!

but i think i've told him that before.....eh Zach?  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: