The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 16:15:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350688 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  anyone tried spark plug indexing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: anyone tried spark plug indexing?  (Read 2428 times)
alex d

« on: April 01, 2008, 14:59:48 pm »

yes, no? where would be better to face the gap?
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 06:13:30 am »

I have learnt to point it halfway over to the exhaust valve, but I don't know if it does anything for a normal VW combustion camber.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
alex d

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

oh well, I'll give it a try, in fact I have to find some really thick washers as the plugs protrude too much into the chamber
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 19:10:39 pm »

I tried it, no HP gain. It was a lot of work for nothing…
Scott Novak

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 10:01:56 am »

I index my spark plugs.  I can't afford dynamometer time so I don't really know if it is making much difference.  But at the very least, I think it should help the cylinders run more uniformly.

Initially I pointed the outer electrode midway between the intake and exhaust valve.  However, I noticed that the coloring around the spark plug insulator wasn't uniform on either side of the outer electrode.  So now I point the electrode a little more towards the intake valve, and the spark plug coloring is uniform on either side of the outer electrode.

The other reason that I index my spark plugs is to make sure that the threads don't project into the combustion chamber where they could heat up and cause pre-ignition.

For better or worse I'm running a semi-hemi combustion chamber with a very low 6.8:1 compression ratio.

My spark plug gaps are set at 0.065" (1.65 mm) and I use a Jacobs Pro Street ignition and Jacobs Ultra Torquer Coil.  I'm using a Mallory vacuum advance Magnetic Breakerless Ignition (MBI) distributor with the larger 208M 8-cylinder distributor cap modified for 4-cylinder use.

Scott Novak
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: