The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 04:34:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Death of VW swap meet thanks to Ebay?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Death of VW swap meet thanks to Ebay?  (Read 4569 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: April 01, 2008, 20:51:29 pm »

Do you think eventually the internet based selling (ebay, samba etc....) will render the swap meet a thing of the past?
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 20:59:53 pm »

I don't know about on the west coast, but I know most of the east coast swaps are fairly poor in the quality of stuff for sale. At this point, most of the stuff available is rusted out, worn out, and used up.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
besserwisser

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 21:12:42 pm »

In my opinion it already has. Take for instance Pomona, you used to be able to find nice stuff there but nowadays its just the run of the mill ordinary parts.People that are sitting on good stuff want to reach a crowd with money use the internet. In fact I would too. The only bad part I can see with internet is all the CRAP that people try to pass on to somebody with less knowledge. As always there are two sides of the coin, someone selling defective parts without realizing it. And then we have the pure crooks that show one thing and send another. What amazes me are the crooks, be serious how rich can you get from peddling defective parts on the net? Maybe when enough people have been had we will all be back at the regular swapmeets and actually check out the parts we are buying. Canīt wait. Ps EVen make some new friends with a face to the name.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 21:13:51 pm »

Do you think eventually the internet based selling (ebay, samba etc....) will render the swap meet a thing of the past?

God, I hope not! I loathe eGay. It's turned just about every sellable(sic) item into a joke. I remember the not-too-distant past (early '90s) before that wretched site began, and '60s surfboards and vintage skateboards were cheap. Same with car parts. Sure, the prices would've eventually gone up, but I mostly blame the feckless existence that IS eGay.

Hopefully, the good ol' concept of a swap meet shall never cease. Nothing beats getting to an event early to score that thing or things that you're searching for.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 21:31:26 pm »

what I see happening is that some guys have realized that they have this world wide billboard to display their stuff (some of it is real crap). I don't deal with Ebay myself, nor do I even look @ Samba. Personally, I like buying stuff from somebody I know. Anyway, back to internet swap meet, Sheep and I get a laugh at some of the sewage some guys will sell for top dollar on the samba thing. It's lame. Yes, swap meets in the early 1990's you could find some grade A stuff for an affordable price. I found an NOS 1967 owner's manual at the Classic in 1991 for $10 or something. I found a very cherry Santana power pulley at Sears Point 1995 for $5.00. I found a Fourtuned 1-1/2 merged header and matching QP's at Jamboree in 1990 for $50.00..... anyway, it isn't the prices so much but the face to face business transaction that takes place. You get to heft the part, feel it, smell it, rub it...whatever.... and Mark's right, getting there early to make the score.... part of the deal. For some reason it seems like ebay has a profit escalator built in?  No offense if you do sell items there, I just see how it is killing the season of the swap meet. Instantaneous gratification.........www.iwantitnow.com
that's the name of the game.
Tony M

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 21:34:50 pm »

Every thing changes for good or bad - lets hope the swapmeets stay around for a while - nice to grap and look at something instead of looking at a picture on the web.

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 21:36:41 pm »

On the flip side of things though are those of us who don't live in So Cal. I couldn't build my car without eBay or the Samba. There are just not enough parts available in my area. I would love to go to swap meets and buy parts, but there is only a couple of shows in this area which have swap meets of any size. The internet has made stuff available to a much wider audience.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 22:00:11 pm »

I don't think ebay will replace swapmeets anytime soon. Prices, wether at a swap or online, are based on desire and availability. As guys get older and have more money, they start to look at getting shite that they couldn't afford when they were a kid, or repurchase the stuff they used to have to relive those days.

Ebay is both good and bad, if you are in a rust prone area, swap meets are often slight. Not that you can't find the occasional gem, it just that the pool is pretty shallow. Ebay can be a great resource though. If you know what you are looking for and know it's value, you can save a bundle. I cant' count the times I've bought stuff at pennies on the dollar because I've shopped, compared prices, including shipping, and I know how to bid.

I got a new project and have already started a list of things I'm looking for. Our club sponsors a show coming up in a couple of weeks here in Jersey and the swap is usually pretty decent, fortunately we also manage the vendors so you know I'll be shopping before the crowds get a chance!

-jeffrey

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 22:21:50 pm »

Its People Like Chris Morely and Danny Z that Keep Driving the Prices up they are both Swap Meet Hounds Buy It for damm near nothing then sell it for ten times what its worth I would Never buy anything from either one of them I was at Bug O rama two Years ago talking to a seller about some fenders that he was selling Chris morely butted in ask how much for the fenders the guy told him a price he picked them up handed the guy the cash and Left needless to Say I was Pissed the seller did not know what to say I was going to buy them But we were talking about some other parts he had for sale also Then Danny Z Brings his single cab to Drag Day full of Sprint Stars with Chicken wire around the back  everybodys is asking how much for the wheels he say Oh there not for Sale?? then Why Bring them? to the Swap Meet??  There have also been some old Drag Cars cross threw Chris's hands to me there both old to make as much cash as they can with most stuff being sold over seas.. 

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
jick

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 22:35:56 pm »

On the flip side of things though are those of us who don't live in So Cal. I couldn't build my car without eBay or the Samba. There are just not enough parts available in my area. I would love to go to swap meets and buy parts, but there is only a couple of shows in this area which have swap meets of any size. The internet has made stuff available to a much wider audience.

--louis

100% agree......building a proper traditional cal-looker would be almost (i said almost!) impossible here in the UK without those sites.

the UK cal look scene is very highly regarded worldwide now, with a lot of overseas dudes giving us huge credit for creating proper cars....this is directly due to the availability of parts on the internet......IMHO.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 22:37:58 pm »

Its People Like Chris Morely and Danny Z that Keep Driving the Prices up they are both Swap Meet Hounds Buy It for damm near nothing then sell it for ten times what its worth I would Never buy anything from either one of them I was at Bug O rama two Years ago talking to a seller about some fenders that he was selling Chris morely butted in ask how much for the fenders the guy told him a price he picked them up handed the guy the cash and Left needless to Say I was Pissed the seller did not know what to say I was going to buy them But we were talking about some other parts he had for sale also Then Danny Z Brings his single cab to Drag Day full of Sprint Stars with Chicken wire around the back  everybodys is asking how much for the wheels he say Oh there not for Sale?? then Why Bring them? to the Swap Meet??  There have also been some old Drag Cars cross threw Chris's hands to me there both old to make as much cash as they can with most stuff being sold over seas.. 

I don't know those guys, but I have to agree.... why bring the stuff around for everybody to drool over? Risk theft? I hate seeing a hobby that brings people together turn into a profit kingdom.
Anyway, before I open my mouth too wide and piss everybody off, I will just share a story....nothing to do with VW world, thankfully....
Over the last 15 years or so I would make trips to same area along central coast of CA, with various friends, girlfriends, etc.... anyway, tradition would bring me to the same BBQ restaurant every time for a pulled pork, slow BBQ'd sandwich (to die for) and right across the street was this vintage car boutique store, full of old magazines, old mag wheels, old Webers, old Abarth stuff....all kinds of cool old junk. BUT.....NONE of it was for sale!!!! Not to mention the proprietor wasn't the nicest fella to talk to. I asked him about some old Abarth literature and he was a real SNOT. Needless to say we no longer visit his "store."
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 22:40:39 pm »

That wouldn't be in Cambria would it?

-jeffrey

Jim Ratto

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 22:42:38 pm »

That wouldn't be in Cambria would it?

-jeffrey

Roll Eyes

....maybe......    Grin
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 22:45:49 pm »

I think I know the place...

-jeffrey

Jim Ratto

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 22:59:31 pm »

I think I know the place...

-jeffrey

sounds like you do....  only one antique auto boutique I've seen there. And it just happens to be across from the BBQ pit place....
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 00:16:46 am »

If it's the place I'M thinking of... it's moved off the main drag and onto one of the side streets... found it when we were coming home from the Historics.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 01:07:19 am »

Yea, that's it. On the other hand, there's a guy that runs an antique place on the main drag that has alot of automobilia who was pretty chatty. He drives a bay window that is basically being held together by mold. It looks like a lawn on his roof! It's pretty funny.

-jeffrey
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 01:11:21 am by jhicken » Logged

outlaw

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 12:22:48 pm »

ebay and thesamba are superb for us folk in Europe, both have worked very well for me in the past and you can find pretty much everything you want if you continue searching over a period of time. I donīt treat ebay as an auction as such........I search for an item and Iīm prepared to pay X amount for it, I donīt get into the bidding lark, just set my max price and if I get it then Iīm a happy man...........I treat it more like a shop.

BUT I think the internet is affecting everything, shows, magazines, swap meets.........it goes on and on.

Swap meets will continue because of the bigger items that just canīt be shipped at reasonable cost but little stuff will sell on ebay........millions use it, it makes sense.

If I miss a show the next day I can see pics on the net so its no big loss like before. Still like to get the magazines though, but I think the net is quicky changing everything.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: