The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:09:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  My 64 - early DKP style?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My 64 - early DKP style?  (Read 2893 times)
jamiep_jamiep

« on: April 09, 2008, 16:09:59 pm »

What do you think? Could this pass for an early cal looker?! The bug is largely stock apart from the lowering job and the 356 rims. Thinking about adding a velocity stack, an 010 dissy and an empi engine trim kit (pictures of which are on the blog on the link below) to give the engine bay that early look.

Turtle001

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 16:19:06 pm »

i would say get rid of the mud flaps, fog light, chrome robri trim and those smart tires in the front

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 16:24:03 pm »

ditto on the above, and raise car back to stock height, find some 165 radials all the way around and ditch hubcaps. For the early drag car look, remove bumpers, but leave grommets.

if those are mudflaps I see behind rear tire, then those have to go too.

BTW: the Pre Cal look era is probably my favorite segment of the "look"
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 16:39:38 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 16:34:51 pm »

For an early club look... what the other guys posted. Also, you can leave the factory body trim, but take off the gravel guards, bumpers, and front fog/driving light(s). Just leave the bumper & overrider grommets Then, remove the hubcaps and get the front end a couple of inches higher and maybe go with 155 tires. Those front tires make 135s look huge. I'm not quite positive on the exhaust, but I'm fairly sure that you'd need a single glasspack and extractor if you're trying to achieve a '60s club look. Reason being; I can't remember exactly which year the quietpacks became available to the public. I'm guessing more like early/mid '70s.

Another option is to only have the straight blade bumpers, too. That would look good and rather era specific, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 16:38:09 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 16:39:07 pm »

What do you think? Could this pass for an early cal looker?! The bug is largely stock apart from the lowering job and the 356 rims. Thinking about adding a velocity stack, an 010 dissy and an empi engine trim kit (pictures of which are on the blog on the link below) to give the engine bay that early look.

nah

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 16:51:09 pm »

Agreed, the tyres up front look all wrong and would need changing if I were trying to make it look early club look. And probably ditching the hubcaps (which I do as and when it takes my fancy anyyway).

it was pretty much this picture I took and I thought it reminiscent of early cal look cars... All the bits (guards, spotlight, mudflaps etc.) will be staying on simply because this is the way it rolled out of the dealership it was supplied from in 1964. Apart from the rims, taper tips & lowering job obviously!

Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 16:56:42 pm »

Agreed, the tyres up front look all wrong and would need changing if I were trying to make it look early club look. And probably ditching the hubcaps (which I do as and when it takes my fancy anyyway).

it was pretty much this picture I took and I thought it reminiscent of early cal look cars... All the bits (guards, spotlight, mudflaps etc.) will be staying on simply because this is the way it rolled out of the dealership it was supplied from in 1964. Apart from the rims, taper tips & lowering job obviously!

it is a nice picture. Maybe, just remove the few nice original items and pack them away nicely for the future, and enjoy driving car around as a car akin to Don Crane's '67 or Greg Bunch's '64?
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 16:59:29 pm »

it is a nice picture. Maybe, just remove the few nice original items and pack them away nicely for the future, and enjoy driving car around as a car akin to Don Crane's '67 or Greg Bunch's '64?

Thanks Jim, I'll look out the pictures I have seen of Crane's 67 & the 64... I think there are some in the KS Cal Look book? I'll have a look.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Sam K

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 01:08:45 am »

Everybody else pretty much summed it up, but I'll add my two cents anyway. In addintion to removing all the accesories, I would put porsche hobcaps in the front, take off the rear hubcaps and paint the drums red. I would probably go with 145 or 155 tires in the front and 165's in the rear. As far as the engine goes, add an 010 and an extractor exhaust with a glasspack and replace the stock carb with a zenith or a bug spray. I've been contempating an "early cal look" car as my next project car for a long time.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: