The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:23:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Bug-In 33 Reflections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bug-In 33 Reflections  (Read 5483 times)
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« on: April 07, 2008, 05:50:14 am »

What a weekend. Just a few thoughts as I'm winding down before I go to bed.

My feet are DONE!!!  Grin  We did Nicks on Friday, Cars & Coffee, Del Mar Goodguys Hot Rod show, and the Nostalgia Meeting yesterday and Bug-In today!  Shocked Shocked

DEEKS: You guys are AWESOME! It was great to see everyone and to meet the few that I didn't already know. I feel very privileged to consider you guys my friends... thank you!

The Europeans: It was a great pleasure to meet all of you... special thanks to Johnny & Linda, Rune, Knut and of course, the mad licker from Belgium, Fabs! I hope our paths cross again SOON!  Grin

Kobus: I wanted to meet you but you were constant motion!! Slow down once in a while!  Wink

Dyno: You're the best! Thanks for everything!

Frenchy: I was honored to meet you. Thanks!

Zach & Slinger: Great to see AZ out here! And I Still owe you dinner! I hope in the near future to head out your way but it won't be next weekend  Sad

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 05:54:47 am »

Only the one and only Dyno Don could get away with telling someone they had bad breath over the PA! I'm still laughing!! If I closed my eyes, I was back at OCIR.

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 06:02:12 am »

Good Lord, Rick... your weekend was a trifle busier than mine. I thought about taking my BMW to Cars & Coffee, but I ended up taking a much needed break from working on the Beetle. Ended up in Simi Valley skating a fun indoor bowl and took pictures at a skateboard event.

As always, good times hangin' out with fellow DEEKS. Bug-In was pretty fun and we enjoyed it. Even scored a set of free reverse light wire boots. Been lookin' for those for two weeks. My girlfriend, as usual, won a bunch of stuff in the raffle. Was good seeing a lot of old friends, some of which I haven't seen for 25+ years. Also great to meet many Lounge regulars that came from near and far. All in all... a busy and fun weekend. Hope y'all had fun, as well.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 16:59:06 pm »

Good Lord, Rick... your weekend was a trifle busier than mine. I thought about taking my BMW to Cars & Coffee, but I ended up taking a much needed break from working on the Beetle. Ended up in Simi Valley skating a fun indoor bowl and took pictures at a skateboard event.

As always, good times hangin' out with fellow DEEKS. Bug-In was pretty fun and we enjoyed it. Even scored a set of free reverse light wire boots. Been lookin' for those for two weeks. My girlfriend, as usual, won a bunch of stuff in the raffle. Was good seeing a lot of old friends, some of which I haven't seen for 25+ years. Also great to meet many Lounge regulars that came from near and far. All in all... a busy and fun weekend. Hope y'all had fun, as well.

sorry to get off topic, but Mark next time you're in Simi, let me know and I will take you out for some grub. OF course, this past weekend I wasn't around...
Rennsurfer

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 17:03:04 pm »

sorry to get off topic, but Mark next time you're in Simi, let me know and I will take you out for some grub. OF course, this past weekend I wasn't around...

[off topic] You got it, Jim. I LOVE to eat food![/off topic]

Okay, back on topic... anyone else have stories, thoughts, views, or comments on this year's Bug-In?

~Sarge
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 21:05:30 pm »

had a blast, good seeing everybody. it's amazeing how everybody's heart is still in the same place.cool seeing all the old DKK guy's everybody keep in touch and brian thank's for the beer!

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
low oval
DKK

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 02:17:46 am »

Rick,
what a weekend, I also went to the goodguys show on saturday.  didn't take my car though. 
I enjoyed sunday better.  I really enjoyed the drags, and meeting you old guys.  my regret was not introducing myself to Mark Ramirez. 

jim

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 03:47:32 am »

We just rolled back into town a couple hours ago. The GTV and the Slingle cab did great, not one problem in 995.8 miles Grin Well, I did christen the GTV with its first speeding ticket about 20 miles outside of town, I was going 65 in a 35, cop knocked it down to a 55+ in a 35 because he was "such a nice guy" Roll Eyes. But you know what, I could give a shit! I had myself a great weekend! I met soooo many people, and caught back up with soooo many others, I'm not even going to begin to bore everyone with the details/names, but you know who you are!!
It was an extreme honor to have my car in Randy Carlson's "Flashback Display", I still cant believe my ride was sitting alongside the likes of those!!!
Greg & Cherise Lane- gotta be the nicest people I've ever met, thanks so very much for letting us stay with you (again!) your hospitality is without a doubt second to none! And special thanks to Greg for sharing all the DZK photos, stories, and specs, and carting Slinger's ass around town Saturday morning Wink
We had a damn good time. Cant wait for 34! Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
SlingShot

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 05:24:11 am »

Good Times, Sweet Cars, Great People. Smiley  To all those that I meet, it was a pleasure, I only wish there was more time during the weekend to spend B.S.ing with all of you.  I love this Hobby, and I hope I never grow up. Wink

Will Race For Beer !!!
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 05:31:22 am »

Had a great time, had my car in the car show with the DKP guy's, the only thing I was kinda bummed out, had alot of engine problems these past few weeks and drove it poping all over the place. Guess I was just stubbered.  Embarrassed  Its not the same having a car in a show and you know mechanicly not right. But now I can take care of things and work on my big motor and get it right. Smiley   But other than that, I thought Bug-In 33 was a big success! WHEN's BUG-IN 34?  Grin

VW Classic 2012
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 07:57:16 am »

Wow what a weekend this has been! I cant begin to thank Rick and his lovely wife Sue enough for taking so good care of me and my girlfriend. When I was draging Rick around all of so-cal for car stuff, she was taking Linda to the stores and even a movie! How about that?! Rick has covered most of the weekend in his post but we had a grand day today too.. We started out at Rancho went on to McKenzie and a grand tour at Lenny Copp's shop, thanks Lenny! Then we stopped for corndogs before heading out to Steve Tim's to pick up some heads and have a look into some exciting race engines. Then we hit upon the Coddington shop (don't ask) and BFY before Rick & Sue  treated us to the Angles VS Indians baseball game! With outstanding seats we saw thwm aaalmost win, thanks so so much guys, you are the best!! We will do our best to treat you the same way when you come to Norway!!

The list of cool people I have met this weekend is to long to write down...IF I could remember all the names! Undecided
All the loungers have one thing in common, they are even cooler in real life! Some nicks really surprises you in real liife while others makes more sence Wink
I will remember the stories, the cars and experiences for the rest of my life!!

Oh yeah... one more thing, I'm not leaving before I have seen your car Rick! Grin

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 07:58:43 am »

Rick,
what a weekend, I also went to the goodguys show on saturday.  didn't take my car though. 
I enjoyed sunday better.  I really enjoyed the drags, and meeting you old guys.  my regret was not introducing myself to Mark Ramirez. 

jim

I'm sure you'll get the chance to rectify that soon. We'll have to do some V-8 events together... always looking for guys to go.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 08:05:12 am »

Wow what a weekend this has been! I cant begin to thank Rick and his lovely wife Sue enough for taking so good care of me and my girlfriend. When I was draging Rick around all of so-cal for car stuff, she was taking Linda to the stores and even a movie! How about that?! Rick has covered most of the weekend in his post but we had a grand day today too.. We started out at Rancho went on to McKenzie and a grand tour at Lenny Copp's shop, thanks Lenny! Then we stopped for corndogs before heading out to Steve Tim's to pick up some heads and have a look into some exciting race engines. Then we hit upon the Coddington shop (don't ask) and BFY before Rick & Sue  treated us to the Angles VS Indians baseball game! With outstanding seats we saw thwm aaalmost win, thanks so so much guys, you are the best!! We will do our best to treat you the same way when you come to Norway!!

The list of cool people I have met this weekend is to long to write down...IF I could remember all the names! Undecided
All the loungers have one thing in common, they are even cooler in real life! Some nicks really surprises you in real liife while others makes more sence Wink
I will remember the stories, the cars and experiences for the rest of my life!!

Oh yeah... one more thing, I'm not leaving before I have seen your car Rick! Grin

The Angels won after we left... Torii Hunter hit a Grand Slam Walk Off Home Run... I'll explain what that means when I see you next... and you forgot out stop at Bergs!  Wink

Rennsurfer

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 08:06:14 am »

Groovy... but what's a V8? Some sort of vegetable drink?

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 08:08:42 am »

In the interest of total disclosure, I was gonna take him to In-N-Out but Jon decided that he wanted to try corndogs so I took him to Wienerschnitzel.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 08:12:04 am »

Groovy... but what's a V8? Some sort of vegetable drink?

Isn't this about the point that you're supposed to smack yourself in the forehead and say "Wow, I could've had a V-8"  Grin Grin Grin

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 08:16:47 am »

How could I forget about the Bergs?!?!  ....btw my secret is already out there Undecided

Whats wrong with Corndogs? It's not like we had them in Stanton or anything??

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 08:18:15 am »

How could I forget about the Bergs?!?!  ....btw my secret is already out there Undecided

Whats wrong with Corndogs? It's not like we had them in Stanton or anything??

Shhhhh mine is still secret!

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 08:31:07 am »

Can't I just buy you another corndog??  Grin Grin Grin

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 08:33:34 am »

...no.. I don't think that will cut the mustard Wink

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 17:59:02 pm »

...no.. I don't think that will cut the mustard Wink

Can it Jonny... this is my thread and I make the jokes!!  Grin Grin Grin

bugnut68

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 22:11:58 pm »

Had a great time, had my car in the car show with the DKP guy's, the only thing I was kinda bummed out, had alot of engine problems these past few weeks and drove it poping all over the place. Guess I was just stubbered.  Embarrassed  Its not the same having a car in a show and you know mechanicly not right. But now I can take care of things and work on my big motor and get it right. Smiley   But other than that, I thought Bug-In 33 was a big success! WHEN's BUG-IN 34?  Grin

Ted, I am so regretful in not stopping by to say hello... I was literally like a kid in a candy store at this event and unfortunately I didn't get to stop and say hi to quite everybody that I wanted to.  Just wanted to let you know I was there, and sorry we didn't get to chat! :-)  Maybe next time! 

Ryan
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 01:06:39 am »

Hey Ryan, not a problem, there will be more Bug-In's and events, will hook up. You take care, let me know how your project is coming.  Grin

VW Classic 2012
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 06:16:36 am »

For me Bug-In 33 was good overall. I saw lots of friends new and old there. I unfortunately missed the car show alltogether being stuck in staging lanes basically all day. The drive up was smooth and fun cruised at an easy 65 behind the BAD BEHAVIOR trailer. We got there about 6:00 Sun. morning and after a short wait got in and teched. My first run I missed 2nd gear and did a 12.93 at 102mph it was a personnal best but not what I was after, my goal was 12.80. Grabbed some fuel and back for 2nd pass after about 2 hours in staging and many oil down waits I clicked off a 12.56 at 102mph. Now I was happy but the car got a little squirly at the top of the track. I also lost part of my Alt. pulley that pass and spent some time in the swap meet sorcing another. First round I got the win and coasted through the lights at a high 13 at about 98mph. Second round I had a bye run but couldnt resist a burn out and launch for the cameras. Well this cost me because shortly after grabbing second it popped out and dissapeared my day was done with a broken trans. But a new personal best. I wish I'd of had more time to see the show and get pics. But I enjoyed my day. Now I have to get to work fixing my carnage.  Jason

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 06:20:07 am »

I wondered what happen to you Jason. Your car looked good.

Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 06:20:24 am »

Thanks bud. I am gonna throw in a loaner trans for the time being untill after I get married. Early June or July I'll rebuild my trans. Gotta go with billit gears this time. $$.   Jason

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: