The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:22:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  lucas connections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: lucas connections  (Read 11496 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« on: April 13, 2008, 13:52:25 pm »

as you know it I will put lucas on my 61, but veiled I would have liked to know how to connect them , but veiled I believed that it was right indicators, but by dismounting them yesterday, I noticed that the bulb had 2 filaments, of or I remembered a photograph the aronson/holmes that deano had posted and those one make night light and indicator  Huh
then I would have liked to know how to connect them, must I set out again of the night light which I find in the headlight like for the indicator, and when the night lights will be connected and that I would owe my indicators, to you there is something of special so that the cligno cut the night light???
thank you for the help that you will bring to me  Wink
rgd
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
sam P

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 18:34:21 pm »

Hey Speedwell,

There's two types of lucas indicators; the type with 1 connection+ground, and the type with two connections+ground. From what I understand you have the second one?
You have to put 21w/5w bulbs in it, and put the wire from the parking lights (grey?) on the 5w side, and the wire for the indicator on the 21w (brighter) side. It's not marked on the housing, so you'll have to see when you turn on the lights. The indicator doesn't cut out the parking light, but it will shine brighter. It's easy!  Smiley

PM me for a french explanation. Wink
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 18:37:31 pm by sam P » Logged

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 18:41:31 pm »

Hey Speedwell,

There's two types of lucas indicators; the type with 1 connection+ground, and the type with two connections+ground. From what I understand you have the second one?
You have to put 21w/5w bulbs in it, and put the (grey?) wire from the parking lights on the 5w side, and the wire for the indicator on the 21w (brighter) side. It's not marked on the housing, so you'll have to see when you turn on the lights. The indicator doesn't cut out the parking light, but it will shine brighter. It's easy!  Smiley
yes i've the second type  with 2 connections + ground
but there's 2 light positions on headlight , first is the parking light and second is the big one for night use ok Huh , but when i go to the second position , the parking light will be off Huh don't remember that   Roll Eyes
thus , i take the wire from the parking light in the headkight and go to the lucas , 5w connections , and the same for the turn signals  is it correct Huh and can i just go to the body with a srew for the ground Huh
thx sam for the light  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes....................................  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin... Wink
fabs

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 18:56:09 pm »

yes i've the second type  with 2 connections + ground
but there's 2 light positions on headlight , first is the parking light and second is the big one for night use ok Huh , but when i go to the second position , the parking light will be off Huh don't remember that   Roll Eyes

Hey Sir Licksalot  Wink

I don't know about Euro-Spec cars but in the US prior to the late 1970s, the parking lights would turn off when the headlights were on. It wasn't until later that the parking lights would stay on with the headlights. I'm not sure when the laws changes.

Rick

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 19:01:28 pm »

i ask this because when we left to sarge Sunday morning, I looked at the car of Carlos and I saw that these indicators were lit and not large fires (main-beam headlamps),et after it cut them and lit the main-beam headlamps and the indicators they are extinct Huh is the this same principer as for the lucas???

sam P

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 19:05:43 pm »

Don't know either if the parking lights stay on when you switch to main lights, I haven't got parking lights on my '63. Roll Eyes On my '68 notch they stay on.
Might look a little strange to have lucas lights and main lights on at the same time, but it's like that on most british cars.
If you don't like that, keep your stock parking lights, and just connect the indicators on the 21w side of the lucas lights.
Ground is okay with a screw to the body, just like vw did it.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 19:08:45 pm »

Don't know either if the parking lights stay on when you switch to main lights, I haven't got parking lights on my '63. Roll Eyes On my '68 notch they stay on.
Might look a little strange to have lucas lights and main lights on at the same time, but it's like that on most british cars.
If you don't like that, keep your stock parking lights, and just connect the indicators on the 21w side of the lucas lights.
Ground is okay with a screw to the body, just like vw did it.
thx buddy  Wink

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 21:12:04 pm »

i ask this because when we left to sarge Sunday morning, I looked at the car of Carlos and I saw that these indicators were lit and not large fires (main-beam headlamps),et after it cut them and lit the main-beam headlamps and the indicators they are extinct Huh is the this same principer as for the lucas???

On cars as early as yours and Carlos' (pre 1980) in the US, that would be the proper set up. Either headlights or parking lights but not both on at the same time. Later it changed.

Carlos De Alba

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 17:52:59 pm »

Fabs!!! you got an email!!

Der Kleiner Panzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 18:36:19 pm »

Fabs!!! you got an email!!
nope Huh

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 21:21:42 pm »

here we go, today i work on the 61 , i connected one lucas the left one here's some pictures
the turn signal don't work  ,why??? i wlll look after the breakdown
what do you think , do you like the lucas in park light  , and don't know if i put the turn signal into the lucas or in the headlight Huh let me know what do you think guys
the right headlight has the park light inside but tomorrow i will work on the right lucas and connect this one
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 21:23:16 pm by speedwell » Logged

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 21:02:28 pm »

Roll Eyes

JeePee/DVK

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 21:09:27 pm »

I tink they are te bright.
Is there only one lamp in it?(21W?)

Type 1 1964 2276cc IDA with Berg-5
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 21:11:37 pm »

you're right jp that's the problem it's a 21/5w , and the 2 filaments are  ON why ?? one wire is connected too the parking light wire , the other one on the turn signal , and i don't have any turn signal Huh  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

JeePee/DVK

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 21:34:29 pm »

you're right jp that's the problem it's a 21/5w , and the 2 filaments are  ON why ?? one wire is connected too the parking light wire , the other one on the turn signal , and i don't have any turn signal Huh  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

So now you're using you're arms? Grin

Type 1 1964 2276cc IDA with Berg-5
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 21:39:18 pm »

So now you're using you're arms? Grin

Grin Grin Grin

Turtle001

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 22:19:46 pm »

i don't think the cops gonna like that

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 00:12:18 am »

Gotta be ground problem. Give each light it's own ground wire to a bare spot on the body/chassis.

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 02:22:43 am »

Nice fog lights Grin Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 15:19:16 pm »

Nice fog lights Grin Wink
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.................................................... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

sam P

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 19:08:54 pm »

Ah, lucas, the prince of darkness!

I told you it was easy!  Roll Eyes Wink

Check if the 21W and the 5W circuit touch eachother somewhere in the indicator/lamp/connections (with multimeter). That would be strange though, in both lamps?

Disconnect turn signal wires, put parking lights on and test parking light wire on each connection, see if one side is less bright than the other. Make sure you always have good ground...

Indicators must be on the 21W side to work properly.

Disconnect lucas indicator and test the wiring of the car with another lamp/ testlamp...

Just some thoughts... Maybe you tried this allready?

Oh, and most important;

Sit down, relax and grab a beer! (brown bottle)  Grin

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 19:14:22 pm »

When I used to sell British Car Parts the joke was that the British drank their beer warm because their refrigerators were made by Lucas.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 22:18:10 pm »

I told you it was easy!  Roll Eyes Wink

Check if the 21W and the 5W circuit touch eachother somewhere in the indicator/lamp/connections (with multimeter). That would be strange though, in both lamps?

Disconnect turn signal wires, put parking lights on and test parking light wire on each connection, see if one side is less bright than the other. Make sure you always have good ground...

Indicators must be on the 21W side to work properly.

Disconnect lucas indicator and test the wiring of the car with another lamp/ testlamp...

Just some thoughts... Maybe you tried this allready?

Oh, and most important;

Sit down, relax and grab a beer! (brown bottle)  Grin
thx for the explain sam
today i work again on the lucas wiring  Roll Eyes , and now the 5w  work well, but no turn signal again , and i do a good one earth , i srew the earth wire to the body inside the housing headlight
here's some pictures , now no fog light  Grin Grin
and the car looks better with the empi 5

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 22:41:56 pm »

Was you car wired so that the parking lights stayed on with the headlights? (Before the Lucas) In the US the parking lights would shut off when the headlights came on... at least in 1960.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 22:26:50 pm »

So we need to wire up AssHull's Lucas lights, but they have a circular type terminal that I'm not familiar with. We need the right connection on the wires to fit the terminals. Any ideas??

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 22:47:39 pm »

any pictures of the bulb Huh

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 23:04:28 pm »

So we need to wire up AssHull's Lucas lights, but they have a circular type terminal that I'm not familiar with. We need the right connection on the wires to fit the terminals. Any ideas??
The Original Lucas Lights came with the connector its a small brass tube that has a small hole at one end and a bigger hole at the other you stick the bared part of the wire threw the small hole and solder it if you got the repop lucas lights they don't come with the connector you have to solder each wire to  the circular piece on the back of the light

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 01:34:25 am »

We've got the new "repop" lights, but they do have the brass tube that you describe. I'll dig out a soldering iron and give it a go, thanks Wink

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 02:14:22 am »

Zach,

You might find a crimp type bullet connector at your local auto parts store... The original Lucas solder type looks similar to the one pictured.

Long live the Lucas light Grin

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 02:23:43 am »

That would be ideal... I'll give it a shot in the ayem. Thanks Dave!

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: