The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:40:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  "Barn Find"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "Barn Find"  (Read 6040 times)
Jamie

« on: October 16, 2009, 20:10:00 pm »

Hi All

Thought it was about time I shared my current project, a 1962 bug. Have owned the car since about 2000, drove for a year, failed mot due to loads of welding and left it tucked in a barn for the last 9 years!!

Anyway the plan is bit of street/strip. Have started to strip down and have been chatting to Jim @ Cotsweld about the cage. The aim is to be finished by 2011 or quicker if funds allow!!!!

This is the 5th bug I've owned and previously I've done the simple stuff, change wheels, t-bars blah blah blah. Apologies in advance as there are gonna be what seem to some people as stupid questions, but the plan is to do it right first time so bear with me...............

P.S Yes Jim, made my mind up, deffo doing the 62 first and will sort the oval after!! Wink
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 21:03:36 pm »

in good hands with Jim Smiley
vwcab

peter

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 21:55:53 pm »

Nice project dude,(and nice find  Grin )what do you have in mind about the engine(cc's)?

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 23:19:37 pm »

Looks nice, I dream to get a barn find like that !

Jamie

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 17:29:50 pm »

in good hands with Jim Smiley

To be honest thats why I'm happy to give hime the work. Have called in twice now and both times he's explained everything in terms I can understand, and I think his work speaks for itself Smiley
Jamie

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 17:31:54 pm »

Nice project dude,(and nice find  Grin )what do you have in mind about the engine(cc's)?

Cheers. The idea is to start small, i.e 1776, theres some guys on here getting some really good times from them. Never been up the strip before, so want to start small, but basically set the car up that if/when I step up in engine size then no other work will need doing. May sound slight overkill, but plan this to be a keeper.
jick

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 17:39:39 pm »

that sounds like a very good idea to me,

good luck with it dude...looks like a nice starting point.

jick

Pas

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 21:24:39 pm »

Looks like a cool little project.

Good luck,have fun and make sure you keep those update's coming  Wink

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
Happychappy

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 22:40:40 pm »

Cool looking bug, Jim is currently building my bug and I have to say his work is amazing!  Definately made a good choice with him.  Look forward to seeing your bug when its done!
Jamie

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 07:30:54 am »

Cool looking bug, Jim is currently building my bug and I have to say his work is amazing!  Definately made a good choice with him.  Look forward to seeing your bug when its done!

Cool, think yours is the one he's been showing me around so I know what I'm getting.
Jamie

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 20:35:35 pm »

Thanks for the kind comments so far.

Spent a couple hours in the garage today, wife works sundays and kids go to their grandparents, result!!

Got one rear wing off, with surprising no issues, all captive nuts stayed in place, also got the glass out. Bottom of the rear quarter, where the bumper mount is needs replacing as it disintegrated!! Best start learning to weld soon I guess. Ride height will need sorting as it was slammed all round.

Jamie

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 00:10:20 am »

Yippee! Signed up for a basic welding course, starts January! Only been into vw's for 17 years and not learnt to weld! ooops! Anyway no more updates at the moment as it's a little bit cold over here right now! Don't worry though Jim, still gonna leave the cage to you.

P.S Any news on the rear suspension stuff we were chatting about??
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: