The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 09:37:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  June 1994 Volksworld, article about DKP @ Terminal Island, what happened to...?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: June 1994 Volksworld, article about DKP @ Terminal Island, what happened to...?  (Read 7352 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: April 14, 2008, 21:15:07 pm »

There was a cool article by Ivan in the old 6/94 issue (with Ivan's beige '67 and ex-Keith Goss/ex-Keith Seume choptop on cover) about some fot he DKP guys from early 1990's taking a ride down to Terminal Island Raceway to run some cars... anyway, there's a nice pic of Schwimmer at the helm of Stephan's car pitted against a black ('59 ? I think?) sedan, another guy with a French name... Jean or Jauques or something... what happened to that guy and that car?

Another car that has faded into the mystic? It would be cool to start a thread on some of the DKP cars or cars that hung around DKP that have sort of vanished.....
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 21:18:39 pm »

like the green car on sprintstars that is seen in early 90's pics?
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 21:22:46 pm »

yeah the green '67

what about the red Empi GTV, that guy Jim Bangs owned it, I have a few pics of it in a French mag. Or Brody's car. Or this other black pre-'67 car with BRMs I saw once, back at Jamboree 1990 (Brody H was with that car).

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 22:18:13 pm »

There was a cool article by Ivan in the old 6/94 issue (with Ivan's beige '67 and ex-Keith Goss/ex-Keith Seume choptop on cover) about some fot he DKP guys from early 1990's taking a ride down to Terminal Island Raceway to run some cars... anyway, there's a nice pic of Schwimmer at the helm of Stephan's car pitted against a black ('59 ? I think?) sedan, another guy with a French name... Jean or Jauques or something... what happened to that guy and that car?

Another car that has faded into the mystic? It would be cool to start a thread on some of the DKP cars or cars that hung around DKP that have sort of vanished.....

the french guys is jean michel carlouet and his car was in belgium before 98 if i remember well , that a DAS member who had the car  , and now the american racing torq trust are the one on the gobi beige  fred twins from the das
and at the time in the vowo the car sporting a set of 5x205 356 porsche wheels or the vw model porsche
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 22:30:34 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 22:25:22 pm »

here's the gtv jim  Cool Cool remeber i'm the archivist  Grin Grin Grin

Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 00:06:49 am »

the french guys is jean michel carlouet and his car was in belgium before 98 if i remember well , that a DAS member who had the car  , and now the american racing torq trust are the one on the gobi beige  fred twins from the das
and at the time in the vowo the car sporting a set of 5x205 356 porsche wheels or the vw model porsche
I was with Jean Michel when he bought those wheels @ Pomona. He went looking for Fuchs But I sort of "influenced" him into those. They were cheaper @ the time than the Fuchs.  Also his 59 ragtop came from Danny G.  VERY clean  never crashed car. Who has that now?

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 00:09:46 am »

It looked good in the pic, but the article said it wasn't sorted out paint and body wise..   Huh   even looked nice on the chromies in that picture
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 01:05:21 am »

It looked good in the pic, but the article said it wasn't sorted out paint and body wise..   Huh   even looked nice on the chromies in that picture
It was'nt painted , but it was a great base car.  I think they call it "patina"  today

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Sam K

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 04:35:38 am »

I re-read that issue just the other day, for at least the hundredth time. It's one of my faves. I've always loved Ivan's '67.
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 07:02:36 am »

I was with Jean Michel when he bought those wheels @ Pomona. He went looking for Fuchs But I sort of "influenced" him into those. They were cheaper @ the time than the Fuchs.  Also his 59 ragtop came from Danny G.  VERY clean  never crashed car. Who has that now?

The black 59 was parted from it's wheels, so it kinda lost it's charm. Then it was sold to a guy in this area (brussels) who came to the bug show with it 2 years ago. Then he put it up for sale and i don't know what happened. I'll ask.

It was a really great looking car with these americans...

Glitter don't make you faster.
Ivan

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 10:58:35 am »

I re-read that issue just the other day, for at least the hundredth time. It's one of my faves. I've always loved Ivan's '67.

I'm humbled! Thanks. I've always loved it too. If you want to see what is going on with it right now go here; http://jg54greenhearts.blogspot.com/

The close ratio Cog Box built gearbox has been in the car for about 10 years and, well, I have only ever driven it hard, so it got to the stage where it needed a rebuild. It was getting to be hard work to get into 3rd gear and was very loud every time you let the power off in any gear. I took the 'box to Peter Englezos last Thursday and he's rebuilding it now. I don't think 10 years of hard driving, high rpm launches on the street, sideways launches out of junctions, street and strip burnouts and speed shifting says anything other than Pete builds a good gearbox!

As for that little piece I did about Terminal Island all those years ago, what a great day! It was so cool to drive with Bill and the guys in the convoy from Hector's to Long Beach and spend a day with them racing.

I'm hoping to get my '67 back in one piece for a bit of quart mile action at The Big Bang show at Santa Pod at the end of this month. Whilst the drivetrain is out, it'll be a good time to tidy up a few of the suspension components too.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 15:51:51 pm »

here's the report guys  Grin Grin

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 15:52:55 pm »

here's the pic jim

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 15:58:15 pm »

and here's the 59 of jean michel when she was in belgian  i took the pictures in 97 (first pict) and second in 98  Shocked
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 15:59:46 pm by speedwell » Logged

benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 17:08:42 pm »

Ivan's talking about himself in a third person point of view, ben likes that Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Jim Ratto

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 17:12:18 pm »

Jimmy likes the Lounge.
Stephan S

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 18:22:52 pm »

Jean-Michel was my roommate back in '92-93. Great guy!
While not restored, his car was straight and looked awesome with the American Racing rims.
I totally forgot about the car being purchased from Danny G & also forgot about Bill driving my Oval at Terminal Island. I miss the track - only 30 minutes from Redondo Beach.
Thanks for the memory!

Der Kleiner Panzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 18:36:50 pm »

here's 2 another pictures i found in my shoes box pictures i took this one at the first das drag day in 2002

Ivan

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 15:05:17 pm »

Ivan's talking about himself in a third person point of view, ben likes that Grin

It SUCKED!!!! That was the magazine 'style' ENFORCED on us by the editor at the time and as I saw IT SUCKED. When you read it it came over so badly, I hated it.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 15:40:22 pm »

It SUCKED!!!! That was the magazine 'style' ENFORCED on us by the editor at the time and as I saw IT SUCKED. When you read it it came over so badly, I hated it.
WTF?

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Ivan

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 16:32:20 pm »

WTF?

What I said - back then I had to write as though I was not talking about myself - read the feature I did on my own car. I argued about it, when it had been subbed and said it didn't make sense  at all and was told had to be done that way.
 IT SUCKED, and it still sucks if you read it today. The feature, written by me, starts 'For Ivan...' The next paragraph starts 'Ivan was...' When I complained about it I was told by Charlotte that was the magazine style. I notice you were allowed to talk about yourself though when you wrote about the Keith Goss chop top though.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 16:42:53 pm »

Oh well, you can do what you like now!    Kiss

Charlotte. There's a name from the past. Scary.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 16:54:09 pm »

I didn't mean to offend you Ivan, I enjoyed the article back in 1994 when I had just got my Bug(still got it) and I enjoy it now, it's your m#ther f$ck!ng fault that i've got this '67 perversion after reading the feature on your car. please don't take it as a criticism.

any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

YMCA
Ivan

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 17:18:29 pm »

Oh well, you can do what you like now!    Kiss

Charlotte. There's a name from the past. Scary.

She's working on Autocar, Top gear, Car or some such. I did have a row with her about it, I can remember that much.
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 17:23:30 pm »

I think when people read these articles Ivan, they're just stoked to read about something they love. I re-read that article too just a few days ago and loved it, and didn't notice anything about third person or whatever... it just sounded good cos you were talking about something I love!

That why I love reading Penthouse so much, its not how its written, it what its written about!!!

Wink Cheesy

Ivan

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 17:25:25 pm »

I didn't mean to offend you Ivan, I enjoyed the article back in 1994 when I had just got my Bug(still got it) and I enjoy it now, it's your m#ther f$ck!ng fault that i've got this '67 perversion after reading the feature on your car. please don't take it as a criticism.

You didn't offend me mate, far from it. I was pissed off at the time that I was made to look like I wrote it that way - where I put 'I' or it was changed to Ivan and so on.
Sorry if I am to blame for your '67 perversion... You're not the only one that's got it though... Watch 'My car is my lover - Strangelove, 10pm 28th May on Channel 5! Jordan Witham from Missouri w Shocked nks over and has penetrative sex with his '67!
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 17:25:50 pm »

That why I love reading Penthouse so much, its not how its written, it what its written about!!!

Wink Cheesy

You know that there's pictures in there too right?? Grin

YMCA
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 17:27:05 pm »

Looking at pictures counts as reading though right? I told my wife I'd done a lot of reading - don't tell me I lied?!!!

Ivan

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 17:28:05 pm »

<a href="http://www.brightcove.tv/playerswf?allowFullScreen=true&initVideoId=1556692022&servicesURL=http://www.brightcove.tv&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://www.brightcove.tv&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&autoStart=false" target="_blank">http://www.brightcove.tv/playerswf?allowFullScreen=true&initVideoId=1556692022&servicesURL=http://www.brightcove.tv&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://www.brightcove.tv&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&autoStart=false</a>
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 17:29:42 pm »

Thats probably from my head?!

haha, that is killer!!!!

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: