The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:31:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  ok let's talk about DKP Odyssey Rallies, calling the "Jim's"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: ok let's talk about DKP Odyssey Rallies, calling the "Jim's"  (Read 18397 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 19:39:21 pm »

...or did they just skip the rally and go to the end and drink beer!!

Gee, I NEVER thought of that.... Roll Eyes  Grin  As well as I remember, we did the rallies.  Nothing better then getting mixed up right out of the gate and having to jump out and unscrew the speedo cable...jump back in, drive a mile (or however much you "estimated" your screw-up was), pull back over and screw the cable back to the speedo and get going again.  I also remember getting into a lot of arguing matches with "The Navigator" (my wife)  Lips Sealed Angry Shocked

hahahaha   Grin kafercup and I got hopelessly lost in east Anaheim one year on Berg Rally... I think my contact lenses drying out didn't help matters at all.

You want to talk lost? Back in late 90's, the last few die hard members of our VW club up there in Bay Area setup and participated in what was known (tongue in cheek) as the "Yellow Sheep" rally, which took place on a very dark, foggy night, in the maze of levee roads that make up the San Joaquin Delta. We had the bright idea of making a cardboard template of a sheep and spray painting bright yellow sheep on the pavement, signaling the driver that the next intersection was a point to change direction. (but the driver wouldn't know which way unless they chose the "correct" direction and they saw another yellow sheep). Between the fog and the small size of the sheep nobody saw a thing....  we had a bunch of really pissed off people hopelessly lost!
kafercup

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2008, 00:48:07 am »

hahahaha   Grin kafercup and I got hopelessly lost in east Anaheim one year on Berg Rally... I think my contact lenses drying out didn't help matters at all.

You want to talk lost? Back in late 90's, the last few die hard members of our VW club up there in Bay Area setup and participated in what was known (tongue in cheek) as the "Yellow Sheep" rally, which took place on a very dark, foggy night, in the maze of levee roads that make up the San Joaquin Delta. We had the bright idea of making a cardboard template of a sheep and spray painting bright yellow sheep on the pavement, signaling the driver that the next intersection was a point to change direction. (but the driver wouldn't know which way unless they chose the "correct" direction and they saw another yellow sheep). Between the fog and the small size of the sheep nobody saw a thing....  we had a bunch of really pissed off people hopelessly lost!

Man, i remember both of those Smiley

The Berg Rally was a blast!

The infamous yellow-sheep rally was definitely an interesting experience.   Cheesy Cheesy
edcraig

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2008, 03:54:16 am »

Here's one of DRA Rally Flyers.
Sarge

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2008, 15:33:08 pm »

Cool flyers, Ed Cool Cool Cool  Here's a couple of DKP oldies...

DKP III
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2008, 15:48:41 pm »

YES!!! These old fliers ROCK! Back before computers, the 'Net, and cell phones. Way more creativity... reminds me of the old punk show fliers from the late '70s & early '80s. Good stuff, guys.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 16:18:39 pm »

I love the very idea of navigational rallies, then add the mystique of DKP 1, the "anything goes" aura of the era and then the awesome fliers.... man I am down to be part of re-birth....

Sarge your fliers remind me of the San Fancisco (Haight Ashbury) bands fliers.... "mouse" I believe was the name of the feller that made a lot of the Dead's posters of the same ilk.   Very very cool artwork, Sarge!!!  Cool
Sarge

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 16:32:04 pm »

I love the very idea of navigational rallies, then add the mystique of DKP 1, the "anything goes" aura of the era and then the awesome fliers.... man I am down to be part of re-birth....

Sarge your fliers remind me of the San Fancisco (Haight Ashbury) bands fliers.... "mouse" I believe was the name of the feller that made a lot of the Dead's posters of the same ilk.   Very very cool artwork, Sarge!!!  Cool

Thanks for the props, Jim Cool!  Wish to hell I'd kept more of those old flyers.  I had none for a long time until my sis blew me away by handing over a few she'd rat-holed away...surprise SURPRISE! Shocked Grin

DKP III
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2008, 16:47:54 pm »

I liked writing rallies better than running them... thinking of ways to screw people up.  Cheesy Cheesy

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 17:39:27 pm »

How come VW rallies dont go down anymore? Well aside from the Berg rally, what else is there??

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2008, 17:45:00 pm »

I know DKP was thinking about putting one on. Bill asked me if I had any old rallies he could look at for ideas. I can't remember if they ever did it or not though.

Sarge

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2008, 17:58:07 pm »

How come VW rallies dont go down anymore? Well aside from the Berg rally, what else is there??

DKP did the "Dude, Where's My Car" rally a few years ago and we had a pretty good turn-out.  The only problem was that there were very few air cooled cars that actually did the rally...seems like the winners were in a Chevy truck or something Roll Eyes.  Unfortunatly, the days of loads of VW's and VW car clubs (the stuff you need for a good rally) are pretty much over.  My $.02

DKP III
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2008, 18:00:24 pm »

What if there was an incentive to run an aircooled car??

Jim Ratto

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2008, 18:09:47 pm »

DKP did the "Dude, Where's My Car" rally a few years ago and we had a pretty good turn-out.  The only problem was that there were very few air cooled cars that actually did the rally...seems like the winners were in a Chevy truck or something Roll Eyes.  Unfortunatly, the days of loads of VW's and VW car clubs (the stuff you need for a good rally) are pretty much over.  My $.02

I think you're right Sarge. Not only that but hasn't the world gotten a little uglier than it was in 1968? I have nightmares of a group of rowdy VW guys blowing by a group of undesireables...  and things getting uglier from there. Gosh, I remember back in 1989, my friend and I got into a (what I thought was) friendly gear grabbing contest with some lowered POS mini truck through Livermore up north. Well, turned out inside the mini truck was a trio of coked-out, drunk white-pride cowboy dumbshits that started firing beer bottles at my car. Scared shitless, we redlined every gear to outrun the goons, but we ended up sliding off the road into a ravine, the mental midgets caught us and put a coupla twelve packs thru my windshield and quater windows. It could have gotten worse, as my friend at the time was kind of wacky and carried a bayonet with him everywhere he went.

of course, you guys had Manson and his harem to worry about I guess.
rebel

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2008, 18:20:10 pm »

Hey, what were ther rules of these rallies? What did they look like?
We do kind of navigational rallies ourselves ( as a club) from time to time, but they seem to be organized differently...

Could you tell us (the young guys) more about the rallys? Seems like a lot of fun.

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2008, 19:28:47 pm »

Like you don't get a beatin' if you win the rally in an aircooled car???  oops, did I type that out loud?

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Sarge

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2008, 19:40:59 pm »

Like you don't get a beatin' if you win the rally in an aircooled car???  oops, did I type that out loud?

Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2008, 21:48:04 pm »

LOL well I had a better idea. If the rally is based on closest mileage to the predicted distance, you could halve the distance for air cooled cars! nice and simple!

edcraig

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2008, 05:25:10 am »

During the heyday of OC VW Clubs, there were rallys almost every weekend during the summer months, and at least one a month during the winter.  These were open to VW's only.  I'd say the average turnout was 150 to 180 cars.  DRA's first rally was a big sucess for us as we had about 220 VWs.  Out Second rally was about 240 VW's.  No one kept records, but I'm pretty sure that was about the largest turnout for any VW Rally.

Most were navagation, so the object was to get close to the correct time and milage, and hitting every check point. 

Overall, these were pretty social events.  Probably the best place to meet the other VW Clubs, (there were 10to 15 Clubs in Orange County alone).  Most of the OC rallys started at Orangefair Mall in Fullerton.  Big parking lot, and they never gave us much grief about the burnouts, as it was customary to do one when each club made it's enterance.  The rallys, (for those of us who actually ran them) were always a blast.  Most ended at a Shakys Pizza, or something similar, for Throphys and Club cheers.

As much as I enjoyed the Bug In, and Carlsbad Drags, I realy have to say that the Rallys were up there too.  They don't seem to get as much history "print" as these other events, but I'd rate them just as good.
mg

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2008, 08:00:39 am »

Anyone participate in the PUDS rallies in the mid 70s?
I think Mike from A.H. hosted them?
I missed a check point by not going to the very end of Carbon Canyon,
Busses doing bump wheelies in the parking lot.
Cal bugs with 2nd gear burn outs.
More beer and pizza!

mg

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2008, 08:06:20 am »

Here's one of DRA Rally Flyers.

Those old flyers very cool, so diffierent from todays internet, texting cell phone gen.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: