The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 04:27:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350885 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  A Cal-Look trend you'd like to see come back?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A Cal-Look trend you'd like to see come back?  (Read 13463 times)
Cheesepanzer

« on: April 17, 2008, 02:44:36 am »

Seeing some comments recently about Cal-Look trends that some today scratch their heads at (i.e. chromed fuchs, highly detailed Cal-Look cars running stock 25hp or 36hp engines, etc...), got me to thinking about old trends that might be cool if they returned.

For those of you who have been around the scene for a while, is there a trend that you had or saw that you'd like to see come back?  If so, what is it?

If I had one, it might be solid color late model bugs where the headlight rings are painted the same color as the car, the trim is removed and the emblem bump on the front hood is flattened.   Cool

What's yours?

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 04:35:21 am »

I liked some of the Formuling France steering wheels and VDO gauges

Porsche 356 hubcaps
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 05:52:14 am »

5x205 Chromies, no caps on semi-gloss black drums!

More Late Models with Square Bumpers
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 05:59:41 am by DKK Rick » Logged

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 05:53:12 am »

I agree with Jim, The Porche nipples, and the Formula France steering wheel and those small bullet type side mirrors.

VW Classic 2012
qubek

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 07:16:27 am »

Slightly lower rear suspension. Not ultra low like in the 80ties, of course. It seems to me that the cars from early 90ties had a better stance than those built today. A lot of cars nowadays has an exaggerated rake, with rear end way to high to my taste, partially because of tyres with very high sidewall.
Second thing I would like to see coming back is full wide beams or the ones which are narrowed only us much as it is necessary to prevent tyres from tubbing fenders. Today, in most cases people are having their beams narrowed just because 'the beam should be narrowed', forgetting the original purpose of narrowing. I'm not even talking about stupid 3 cycle cars with 5 or 6 inches cut, but about normal cal-lookers having their wheels way into the fenders, just because.... just because.... it looks 'cool'?
What I wanted to say that it seems to me, that people tend to build cars with slightly more rake the ones build previously, slightly narrower beams etc, which means that with time, cars tend to be more and more exaggerated in their style.
So what that the car is super clean, very nicely finished and has a big engine, when with it's ass way up in the sky and it's front wheels somewhere deep into the fenders, so you can not even see what kind of stupidly narrow tyres the car has, it looks just grotesque.
I think that some cars just went to far. Of course - it's only my personal opinion Wink

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 07:18:09 am by qubek » Logged

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 08:10:41 am »

Hmm... I never realized that any trends were in existence. I just build 'em as I see fit. No rules is the first rule. I dechromed my first Cal Look Bug but left the front turn signals. The more people that told me to shave 'em, the more I liked leavin' them on. On my current car, I'm leaving it all stock as far as trim. I hate trends and tend to do my own thing.  Long as the car can be returned to stock easily, I've always been okay with that theory. But... to each their own.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
qubek

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 08:53:53 am »

Hmm... I never realized that any trends were in existence. I just build 'em as I see fit. No rules is the first rule. I dechromed my first Cal Look Bug but left the front turn signals. The more people that told me to shave 'em, the more I liked leavin' them on. On my current car, I'm leaving it all stock as far as trim. I hate trends and tend to do my own thing.  Long as the car can be returned to stock easily, I've always been okay with that theory. But... to each their own.
I hate trends too, but no matter how hard you try, they have some influence on you. You see some things, you get used to them, even it you're not aware of that. I mean - I agree with you, but I've noticed to many things that I didn't like at the begging, but then started to like when I saw them on my friends cars etc, to be able to say that I'm totally immune to trends.

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
wolfswest

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 09:43:35 am »

I'm not disliking the 80ies cal look bugs at all, so it would be nice to see some around.  lower in the back, maybe a paintbrush on it: just like nuthing fancy.
and I like the bugs with color stripes on it too.  I wouldn't doing it myself but I like it.   Tongue  There is a topic here with many of these bugs around.  I will look for it and paste the link here.

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 09:53:31 am »

for me the 70's cal look  is the simplest way, no chrome (profit of $$$$$) , no mOre goodies on the car just shifter , and gauges etc ....
now it's look like  which to put more $$$ in its car, whereas there is full  way of making a cheapest car ..IMHO..

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 09:57:59 am »

I'm not disliking the 80ies cal look bugs at all, so it would be nice to see some around.  lower in the back, maybe a paintbrush on it: just like nuthing fancy.
and I like the bugs with color stripes on it too.  I wouldn't doing it myself but I like it.   Tongue  There is a topic here with many of these bugs around.  I will look for it and paste the link here.
this one dem  Wink : http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,2447.0.html

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 10:16:22 am »

If I had one, it might be solid color late model bugs where the headlight rings are painted the same color as the car, the trim is removed and the emblem bump on the front hood is flattened.   Cool

What's yours?

Now you're talking about my car... Wink

Glitter don't make you faster.
The Ideaman

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 10:24:55 am »

I miss "Trends".  They were just getting it right when they folded. Tongue Their dyno days rocked.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
nicolas

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 10:27:15 am »

sunshine would make a great comeback.
Neil Davies

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 10:47:32 am »

What's yours?

Now you're talking about my car... Wink

And mine! (Although Roland's will be finished waaay before mine...) Grin

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 11:41:17 am »

I would like to see the flashy colours and graphics of the 80's callookers Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 13:28:58 pm »

Porsche and sports car influence. 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 13:47:20 pm »

I think I am more interested in the next trend developing. I am bored with the state of Cal-look right now. To rigid and formalistic. Seems we are ripe for a new direction. Resto-mod maybe. Style of the '60s-early 80s but with a modern interpretation. Not really retro or a clone of early cars, but heavily influenced by the history of Cal-look but still pushing the movement forward. Or maybe I just need more coffee this early in the morning.  Grin

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 13:57:23 pm »

You have a project car, Louis...the future of Cal-look is in your hands!   Wink

Mike H.

Sven was right.
wolfswest

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 15:33:00 pm »

this one dem  Wink : http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,2447.0.html

that's the one! long time no see....   mmmm, nice! I like it!  Grin

Indeed, the thing that Louis mentioned here is also interesting...  will the next trend be something extravagant or will the 70's lookers remain popular for a few years...?  Huh

I realy like them (70s style cal looks) but something more wild would also do the trick for me...  For example: the topic of the japanese lookers...  Fabs, got link?  Grin  Grin

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 15:34:28 pm »

CHOP TOPS!

There is one fad I would like to see return. Even if I can't fit into one.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Donny B.

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 15:44:02 pm »

CHOP TOPS!

...still don't like chop tops!  ...unless it's a '32 or '34 Ford...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
deano

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 16:11:25 pm »

I'd like to see more mega-compression small cc'd engines in a light car, dba Mike Smith era. 1776cc with 12.0, FK89, and a short ring and pinion!

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 16:23:18 pm »

The one thing I would like to see is for someone or a club to organize a caravan from Los Angeles to Bug 0 Rama in Sacramento and back the same for other shows going on. I think that major cruises are way kool if you can get everyone to participate and you get to meet a lot of people with the same interest. Other than that I am much for the old look anyways Porsche alloys / Empi 8 spokes and 5 spokes with T bars Herculon interior Lucas front turn signals with or with out chrome is ok too. A lot of the DKP car are still in that look.

Thanks
     Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Jim Ratto

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 17:51:20 pm »

Slightly lower rear suspension. Not ultra low like in the 80ties, of course. It seems to me that the cars from early 90ties had a better stance than those built today. A lot of cars nowadays has an exaggerated rake, with rear end way to high to my taste, partially because of tyres with very high sidewall.
Second thing I would like to see coming back is full wide beams or the ones which are narrowed only us much as it is necessary to prevent tyres from tubbing fenders. Today, in most cases people are having their beams narrowed just because 'the beam should be narrowed', forgetting the original purpose of narrowing. I'm not even talking about stupid 3 cycle cars with 5 or 6 inches cut, but about normal cal-lookers having their wheels way into the fenders, just because.... just because.... it looks 'cool'?
What I wanted to say that it seems to me, that people tend to build cars with slightly more rake the ones build previously, slightly narrower beams etc, which means that with time, cars tend to be more and more exaggerated in their style.
So what that the car is super clean, very nicely finished and has a big engine, when with it's ass way up in the sky and it's front wheels somewhere deep into the fenders, so you can not even see what kind of stupidly narrow tyres the car has, it looks just grotesque.
I think that some cars just went to far. Of course - it's only my personal opinion Wink

I agree on all points. I don't care for the "tiptoe" look of rear end way up in the air. And I hate narrowed beam look. Tires should fill fender wells, not hide inside like scared turtles.
I think the narrowed beam is fine so tires don't rub ANYWHERE, if using discs or dropped spindles.
I think guys are trying to mimic some Pro Mod drag car look and it doesn't work.

you'd never see a nice hot rod 356 or 911 done up with such a stupid fucking mod as a 5" narrowed beam. Guys doing this shit are breaking up the family relationship, the bloodline.... good Hot Rod VW's are definitely the little brothers to proper hot rod vintage Porsches (not water cooled 996 crap). The day I see a 356 done up with a narrowed beam I will probably keel over in shock and disgust.

Actually, the "Cal Look" cars (I rather say "Hot Rod" cars) are probably the perfect evolution of where the scene has gone to. Leave them as they are.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 18:06:19 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
Rennsurfer

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 17:57:14 pm »

I agree on all points. I don't care for the "tiptoe" look of rear end way up in the air. And I hate narrowed beam look. Tires should fill fender wells, not hide inside like scared turtles.

I don't care what anyone does to their car... long as my cars don't have one of those beams. Couldn't agree with you more, Jim. I just don't understand those things... I build my cars to take turns fast, not tip over. If anything, I want a WIDER stance... not make it more unstable. But, to each their own. Guess I'm more into function/fun than looks. D'OH!

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 17:58:37 pm »

I don't care what anyone does to their car... long as my cars don't have one of those beams. Couldn't agree with you more, Jim. I just don't understand those things... I build my cars to take turns fast, not tip over. If anything, I want a WIDER stance... not make it more unstable. But, to each their own. Guess I'm more into function/fun than looks. D'OH!

form follows function..... always.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 18:00:34 pm »

form follows function..... always.

Word, Home Skillet.

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 18:08:08 pm »

I think the narrowed beam is fine so tires don't rub ANYWHERE, if using discs or dropped spindles.
I think guys are trying to mimic some Pro Mod drag car look and it doesn't work.

you'd never see a nice hot rod 356 or 911 done up with such a stupid fucking mod as a 5" narrowed beam. Guys doing this shit are breaking up the family relationship, the bloodline.... good Hot Rod VW's are definitely the little brothers to proper hot rod vintage Porsches (not water cooled 996 crap). The day I see a 356 done up with a narrowed beam I will probably keel over in shock and disgust.

Actually, the "Cal Look" cars (I rather say "Hot Rod" cars) are probably the perfect evolution of where the scene has gone to. Leave them as they are.

BTW yes I know 911's don't have "beams", they have longitudal trosion bars and struts. I am just trying to make a point.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 18:09:48 pm »

You need to add airbags to your rant.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Jim Ratto

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 18:11:49 pm »

You need to add airbags to your rant.

--louis

no kidding.

I am a bitchy purist.... what can I say? If it doesn't have any function except to convince the said owner that chicks dig him, then it is frickin trash.

Ok I will stop now.  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: