The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:37:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Question: Camber Compensator(s)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Question: Camber Compensator(s)?  (Read 14816 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« on: April 17, 2008, 23:23:36 pm »

Forgive me if this old news or has been talked about to death on here... but I was originally looking for an EMPI Camber Compensator for my '67. During my search, I happened upon this from C.B.

Has anyone tried one of these? They claim that they're stronger than the original ones. Personally, I don't care which one I get. I just remember the EMPI one was one of the best things I've ever seen in the way of suspension improvement for a Type 1. I throw my cars into high speed turns and want one of these. Any constructive advice will be appreciated... thanks in advance.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 23:37:10 pm »

The first thing I notice about the CB model pictured is, you will have to remove the transaxle bracket to change the oil.
Whereas the original Empi model has a hole in the bracket for that purpose.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 23:41:03 pm »

The first thing I notice about the CB model pictured is, you will have to remove the transaxle bracket to change the oil.
Whereas the original Empi model has a hole in the bracket for that purpose.

Great point, Richard. Silly question number two; can't I just drill a hole big enough to allow a gearbox oil change? I would think so, without weakening the plate.

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 00:17:56 am »

I ran one of CB's in the 1980's and it broke one day hurrying to work. Sparks flying.
Probably my fault.

Anyway, I run the SAW one now, and I like the way my car throttle steers through Box Canyon up here in Canoga Park. You only have to remove leaf spring portion to drain gear oil. Not bracket. Plus you can shim the carriers up to stiffen spring if you so deisre.... Smiley
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 00:47:36 am »

The EMPI/CB ones seem bass ackwards to me as they pull down on the axles rather than pushing them up as the SAW unit does. Right???

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Donny B.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 03:43:17 am »

The EMPI/CB ones seem bass ackwards to me as they pull down on the axles rather than pushing them up as the SAW unit does. Right???

If they were bass ackwards then how come they worked so well?  I have had one on my car for about 15 years and would never go back.  I even have a spare sittin' in the garage.  I was going to put it on my wife's '61, but don't know if I will ever finish that.  I love mine.  It is especially good on long high speed sweeping turns like exiting or getting onto the freeway.  It really calms down the back end.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Rennsurfer

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 03:57:45 am »

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm gonna try to locate one. Don't care if it's EMPI or a new one.

~Sarge
larry mck

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 04:02:49 am »

The 1967 bug has a Z bar built into it, which you can shim. The camber compensator would just duplicate it. If you read up on how the compensator works, it needs to push and pull. That is why the EMPI and CB one are better than the SAW. IMHO
Rennsurfer

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 04:04:36 am »

The 1967 bug has a Z bar built into it, which you can shim. The camber compensator would just duplicate it. If you read up on how the compensator works, it needs to push and pull. That is why the EMPI and CB one are better than the SAW. IMHO

Yep, my car already has the Z-bar. Shimming 'em up is an old trick some of the track guys have done. I just wanna add the compensator. Found this pic of a newer EMPI one. Appears to have the drain hole already there. Anyone have experience with the newer EMPI ones? I'm not a fan of their current products, but if this item functions like the original, I'll buy one.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 05:35:12 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
qubek

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 07:26:02 am »

I'm about to install the CB one.
I bought it because I was ordering some other parts from CB at the time and because it's cheap.
I thing the basic design (original EMPI and CB) seems to be OK, what worries me is that EMPI one had a different design of link (pivot point) between the bar and the mounting plate.
CB's is simple and cheap. Maybe it works (I hope), we'll see on the car, but it seams that it there is little place for the bar to roll before it hits its mounting plate, comparing to original EMPI.
The other thing is that even if the design is identical, like in case of EMPI/MrBug and sway a way, the crucial factor here is stiffness of the bar. Something that is difficult to check and compare.

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Rennsurfer

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 07:46:11 am »

I'm about to install the CB one.
I bought it because I was ordering some other parts from CB at the time and because it's cheap.
I thing the basic design (original EMPI and CB) seems to be OK, what worries me is that EMPI one had a different design of link (pivot point) between the bar and the mounting plate.
CB's is simple and cheap. Maybe it works (I hope), we'll see on the car, but it seams that it there is little place for the bar to roll before it hits its mounting plate, comparing to original EMPI.
The other thing is that even if the design is identical, like in case of EMPI/MrBug and sway a way, the crucial factor here is stiffness of the bar. Something that is difficult to check and compare.

Good points on everything in your post. Which is why I'm curious as to which one works the best. Thanks for the input.

~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 10:14:47 am »

here's my NOS on the 61  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 10:16:14 am »

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 10:34:16 am »

the only thing i found in the past is that they do not fit built boxes with HD side plates!

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 15:09:37 pm »

I use a speedwell camber
found in nos and fit in 10 minutes on the ghia
really nice feeling on road with this part
a must have for any bug/ghia
I believe that the empi is similar on look and quality
don't have pictures sorry
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 15:36:40 pm »

Good topic, I've been wondering about these for my car, as well.  Not sure if you saw the guy on thesamba.com selling refurbished EMPIs.  Don't know how the cost of one of those compares to a modern version.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 15:42:10 pm »

Not sure if you saw the guy on thesamba.com selling refurbished EMPIs.  Don't know how the cost of one of those compares to a modern version.

That guy on the Samba is WAY high and so are his prices. There is no way I'm gonna pay over $300 for something that I can buy for less then half of that and restore it myself for very cheap. But... like they always say, there's one born every minute. HAHA!!

~Sarge
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 15:49:43 pm »

Ooops, I forgot they were that expensive!  I only looked at the ad once...now I remember why.   Shocked

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 17:36:24 pm »

If they were bass ackwards then how come they worked so well?

Well, that's why I ask. Could someone explain to me the engineering behind each design??

the only thing i found in the past is that they do not fit built boxes with HD side plates!

Found out that one the hard way too!!

qubek

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 19:30:05 pm »

If they were bass ackwards then how come they worked so well?
Well, that's why I ask. Could someone explain to me the engineering behind each design??
They work in an exactly the same way. They connect the wheels on the opposite sides acting contrariwise to anti-roll bar. If one wheel goes up, the other goes down. The fact that one of them pushes both the wheels up a little doesn't matter. 

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 21:42:45 pm »

For those people with heavy duty sidecovers.
Empi had an earlier bracket that mounted to the framehorns, not the transaxle.
67worshipper

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 22:30:30 pm »

this might be a daft question but does this set up help or hinder at the top end of the dragstrip when coming off the power?

vw hot rod heaven
qubek

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 09:58:31 am »

It should help. It prevents both wheels from going down at the same time (=rear end of the car going up). Of course, only to a certain degree, depending of the stiffness of the bar.

OldSpeed

1300 Addict.

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 11:29:28 am »

Sorry to hijack slightly but am i right in thinking that when shimming a factory 68> swing axle Z bar you put the shims just above number 21 on the diagram just below the rubber stops cup? Or do they go below the rubber stop?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 11:52:12 am by OldSpeed » Logged
gibber!

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 15:11:42 pm »

If you want to take the play out of the z-bar and therefore make it work sooner, then you would shim under the rubber stop i.e. in the cup.
If you are trying to limit the axles downward movement then shimming below the cup would achieve this.
Remember the z-bar is only there to help stiffen the rear suspension when under load, and in my opinion neither a camber compensator or roll bar.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 16:00:40 pm by gibber! » Logged

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
OldSpeed

1300 Addict.

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 16:25:26 pm »

Thanks Gibber. At the moment I have got small anti roll bar bushes shimming under the stop. I've tried shimming below the cup too but it doesn't seem to do much to reduce downwards suspension travel. I'm thinking of adding an adjustable limit stop to the lower spring plate stop which would solve the positive camber problem.

Smiley
Jim Ratto

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 20:57:39 pm »

I took stock Type 1 rear axle subbers and sawed them down (just so there was an opening at each end) and stakced them under the stock Z bar bumpers. Cheap and easy.
Then I broke my Z bar...  I think; a) it was shimmed too tightly and b) I drove it too hard too often.
JS

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 21:24:43 pm »

Any advice on camber compensators that can be mounted to a box with HD Side covers?

Signature.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 01:47:34 am »

Any advice on camber compensators that can be mounted to a box with HD Side covers?

I would just have the side cover machined down a bit where the spring perch mounts. It doesnt need much to work.

JS

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 06:34:50 am »

I know, but like you I found out about it too late. Now I don´t have the time to take the box out,  I´ll miss this years Bug-Run in Sweden which is one of the very few events that has 1/4 mile racing in scandinavia...  Cry

Signature.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: