The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 21:30:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Question: Camber Compensator(s)?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Question: Camber Compensator(s)?  (Read 15037 times)
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 09:59:23 am »

cut and weld the mount.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
OldSpeed

1300 Addict.

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 11:45:42 am »

I've heard that there can be problems when fitting a camber compensator to a '67> swing axle beetle with a Z bar due to the ends of the compensator fouling on the Z bar cup mounts.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

I'm considering buying the CB performance item marked as B in the photo below and i'd like to be sure it will fit!

Thanks.  Smiley
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2008, 18:08:41 pm »

I've heard that there can be problems when fitting a camber compensator to a '67> swing axle beetle with a Z bar due to the ends of the compensator fouling on the Z bar cup mounts.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

I'm considering buying the CB performance item marked as B in the photo below and i'd like to be sure it will fit!

Thanks.  Smiley
                                                I put one on a friends 67 with z bar still on, and I seem to remember using one that I had for a 356 porsche. It had a much shorter torsion bar and fit really well.

I also park at Nick's.
OldSpeed

1300 Addict.

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2008, 18:52:19 pm »

Thanks John. Thats just what I wanted to hear.  Grin
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 19:14:23 pm »

Putting a camber compensator on my car really improved the handling, also helped reduced wheel hop a little bit.

Sorry for taking it a bit OT, but could anyone help me out with a correct rubber mount for my empi/speedwell compensator? I just have a rubber disk in there now, to thick. Can't get it out to drain trans oil. Need to remove the entire bracket...

nicolas

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2008, 12:45:19 pm »

the A type will fit as well as the cups are on the sides and it wont interfere. i am not sure if the B type fits as i think the cups and war will move to the same point when cornering.

and i have a question myself. i have installed the Crown sideplates on the trans and they are a bit wider as the original ones. so i can't fit the camber comp. i have 28mm torsion bars on the type3 now as well. will it change handleling or do i need to a way to make it fit again?

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2008, 15:21:27 pm »

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2008, 17:11:13 pm »

the A type will fit as well as the cups are on the sides and it wont interfere. i am not sure if the B type fits as i think the cups and war will move to the same point when cornering.

and i have a question myself. i have installed the Crown sideplates on the trans and they are a bit wider as the original ones. so i can't fit the camber comp. i have 28mm torsion bars on the type3 now as well. will it change handleling or do i need to a way to make it fit again?

I always ran EMPI's frame style mount to avoid the issue altogether. I never wanted to grind on the sidecover. Plan B was to fab extensions to make the standard mount wider, but never had to , obviously. I always liked the frame mounts better as there would be far less movement than a mount attached to the trans, especialy if the trans was floating on rubber mounts.

I also park at Nick's.
nicolas

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2008, 17:55:31 pm »

I always ran EMPI's frame style mount to avoid the issue altogether. I never wanted to grind on the sidecover. Plan B was to fab extensions to make the standard mount wider, but never had to , obviously. I always liked the frame mounts better as there would be far less movement than a mount attached to the trans, especialy if the trans was floating on rubber mounts.

do you have a pic off one of these mounted to the frame. it sounds like a good option. mine is always in the way if you have to work on the car (set suspensionhight, new springplates,... and now the gearbox leaks as always take it off and the gaskets let oil through. and if i only remove the crossbar you can't drain the oil on the bugpack ones. 
so i am open to suggestions to change it for a better CC.

peach_

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2008, 20:05:01 pm »

hey do bother these do the same job?

as they look to do different things? Huh

cheers for your help Grin

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
peach_

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2008, 21:04:12 pm »

yes they do lol  Cheesy

im guessing no one has decided which is best thou?  Huh

cheers  Grin

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2008, 01:41:44 am »

(A) could not work the same, because (B) would work like the original and be pre loaded, pulling on the axles, like EMPI's.While (A) would not have the ability to pull the inside axle down in a turn .

I also park at Nick's.
Donny B.

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2008, 02:11:51 am »

I have to agree with John.  Of course I am predjudiced.  I have been using (B) for years and let me tell you, you can feel the difference on the road.  Where I noticed it the most is in a long sweeping turn while accelerating onto a freeway.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2008, 02:50:44 am »

Long freeway sweepers are where I always seem to see the biggest difference too. The car just feels planted.

I also park at Nick's.
Donny B.

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2008, 03:02:05 am »

The car just feels planted.

Exactly!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2018, 20:44:59 pm »

OK, resurrection a really old thread here. But I've installed my SAW camber compensator a few years ago. And a few weeks ago I discovered the odd clunking I can hear when slowly driving on uneven roads. It seems the urethane ends of the camber compensator interfere with my rear shocks. Has anyone had this too?

The only thing I can come up with is that my rear axle are (all the way) forward. But they're not and I had my car aligned when put the built gearbox in. The shocks are white KYB so not bigger or wider than usual either.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
ibg

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2018, 22:29:53 pm »

I had the same problem on a stock ghia. I ground of some of the urethane where it touched. I used a belt sander.
JeeWee

the Netherlands

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2018, 09:24:05 am »

http://356enterprises.com/suspension-and-brakes-porsche-356/ and look for camber regulator

I am going to try one of these:
https://www.kerscher-tuning.de/kaefer/detail.php?id=204
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: