The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 09:40:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Text on Cal lookers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Text on Cal lookers  (Read 2679 times)
EspenX

« on: April 28, 2008, 21:36:14 pm »

I am new to the Cal look scene, so this might be an odd question. I've seen loads of pictures of old cal lookers and see many of them have ads and text all written in the same font style. Was it painted by hand, stencils or stickers normally?
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 22:07:16 pm »

Usually hand painted.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 00:33:14 am »

Either hand painted by someone that's handy in that area or your local pinstriper. Or, using die-cut vinyl self adhesive letters and a lot of patience. Another option, is to have them custom laser cut on a computer/printer and after it's all laid out, simply stick it on as one unit or each line individually. It's your call.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Bryan67

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 04:54:26 am »

Nothing but hand lettering back then. No such thing as computer cut vinyl graphics in the good old days.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 07:07:42 am »

Nothing but hand lettering back then. No such thing as computer cut vinyl graphics in the good old days.

Well, that's half true. When I was racing bmx (bicycle motocross) in the late '70s up until '80, we had die-cut vinyl stickers from Oakley (our grip sponsor) Haro (made our number plates) and just about every other vendor/company that supplied us riders with more of the same. Die-cut stickers were already in full swing back then. Although you're probably correct in saying that most cars, back then, had hand painted lettering... I was merely providing current day options for the original poster's query.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
wolfswest

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 07:55:42 am »

Well, that's half true. When I was racing bmx (bicycle motocross) in the late '70s up until '80, we had die-cut vinyl stickers from Oakley (our grip sponsor) Haro (made our number plates) and just about every other vendor/company that supplied us riders with more of the same. Die-cut stickers were already in full swing back then. Although you're probably correct in saying that most cars, back then, had hand painted lettering... I was merely providing current day options for the original poster's query.

Fred,

Still skateboarding and back in the days bmx riding... you're the man!  If you got pictures of back in the days I would love to see them.  I watched RAD a few times just for the bikes and outfits.   Grin  Great area.   Sorry to go off topic...

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 16:56:27 pm »

Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 19:19:01 pm »

Offtopic:

RAD rules,still have that video and some video's of me bmxing and skating,haha
But back then we had stickers yeah,but most common was painting Cool