The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:39:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  front mounted oil coolers?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: front mounted oil coolers?  (Read 66845 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2011, 20:59:54 pm »

does andyone know whith fitting to use for the EMPI Oil Cooler ? (LONG)
Its not metric, or ?

thank you

Its probably a "tapered" type pipe fitting  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2011, 22:01:16 pm »

does andyone know whith fitting to use for the EMPI Oil Cooler ? (LONG)
Its not metric, or ?

thank you

You asked me the same question thru the Lounge/mail as well. 1/2"NPT to -8 or whatever - you want to plumb your system.

Done ? Not Yet.
Harry/FDK

« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2011, 23:29:09 pm »

Havent been on this post for a while. How about useing two cooler's with there own fan, But one is on all the time for cooling and the other, Turned on when needed in winter to blow warm air ducted, for inside car ?

Danny, something like this ?

Done ? Not Yet.
tonybone

« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2011, 05:57:28 am »

Hi Guys.
Ive been running a front mounted cooler for years and I went that route as obviously being at the front its naturally in the air flow.
Engine is a 2276 with FK87 running 10.5 CR. The oil system consists of a Deep sump, 30mm Pump, Oil thermostat and remote filter. No dog house cooler.  1/2 inch lines running either side of the car and a front mounted Porsche cooler just under the front bumper. The cooler fits directly between the bumper irons so mounting was easy. I had an aluminium mesh in front of the cooler to protect from stones etc.
Running temps never exceeded 180C even sitting in traffic or driving at motorway speeds.
For me this setup will and always will be the only way to go for a hypo motor.
The extra oil in the system always helps and the long oils lines never gave me a pressure loss at idle when hot.
One thing though.. I'm running a Porsche upright cooling system which as we know helps a lot. But saying that the fan speed was reduced by using a berg power equaliser pulley, and a high 3.88 final drive ratio.
More oil, and more air is the way to go for me.
Ill dig out some pics.
Cheers. TB
drgouk

« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2011, 06:57:38 am »

Hi Guys.
Ive been running a front mounted cooler for years and I went that route as obviously being at the front its naturally in the air flow.
Engine is a 2276 with FK87 running 10.5 CR. The oil system consists of a Deep sump, 30mm Pump, Oil thermostat and remote filter. No dog house cooler.  1/2 inch lines running either side of the car and a front mounted Porsche cooler just under the front bumper. The cooler fits directly between the bumper irons so mounting was easy. I had an aluminium mesh in front of the cooler to protect from stones etc.
Running temps never exceeded 180C even sitting in traffic or driving at motorway speeds.
The extra oil in the system always helps and the long oils lines never gave me a pressure loss at idle when hot.
One thing though.. I'm running a Porsche upright cooling system which as we know helps a lot. But saying that the fan speed was reduced by using a berg power equaliser pulley, and a high 3.88 final drive ratio.
Ill dig out some pics.
Cheers. TB

Hi Tony, I would be keen to see some pics, Thanks David.

Harry/FDK

« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2011, 14:14:18 pm »

Hi Guys.
Ill dig out some pics.
Cheers. TB

You mean 180F. Correct ?

Done ? Not Yet.
tonybone

« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2011, 15:32:28 pm »

Harry well spotted ! Yes 180f Smiley
tonybone

« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2011, 15:47:58 pm »

David I'll dig some pics out and scan em in ! Hope quality is ok !
Cheers TB
-Alex-

« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2012, 18:14:12 pm »

I have chosen this setrab 490x136x40 oilcooler, it will be mounted to the mendeola bulkhead. It isnt straight at the airstream, so i may need to make ducting to the oilcooler or somekind clean spoiler.

While Cal-Look stands still, looking backwards for inspiration, German Look keeps pushing boundaries further forward Cheesy
mrmut

« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2012, 10:44:39 am »

what kind of mercedes cooler jim?

It's a Behr unit from W123 turbo diesel (or W126 with OM617 eng)....part # 1261800065

same oil cooler has in 300d and 300td little big but in a quadratic form in the Mercedes E-class 300 turbo diesel engine om 606
Martin S.

« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2013, 19:34:33 pm »

We were considering using a water/oil cooler from a Porsche and adding a small rad in the front. Like this one: http://www.autopartsnetwork.com/w0133-1811769-engine-oil-cooler-genuine/ad8go_s4ilgpv

The advantage is that if the rad got damaged, there would be no oil down.

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: