The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 09:49:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Getting it going again......
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Getting it going again......  (Read 2023 times)
ianmac

« on: April 29, 2008, 22:58:11 pm »

Well guys and girls ,

I have been out of this volkswagen lark for a few years, but I managed to hang onto my '63 with its 2276 ida motor, despite house, wife duties etc. etc.

Anyway I decided to take the motor out and give it a good freshen up, the one thing I always contemplated doing was a revamp of the ignition system- currently a 009 with petronix. I am considering the commonly used MSD 6AL system, but is it the best option? and worth the $$$ ?

Let me know your thoughts? Grin

Ian

Sarge

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 23:43:43 pm »

Save your money for a nice Vertex magneto.  Welcome to The Lounge, too!

DKP III
Sam K

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 23:54:20 pm »

Welcome back!  I had the whole msd system and I liked a couple features of it such as the bigger distributor cao and and the rev limiter, but I didn't see any increase in performance. My 6AL also blew up a couple times and while MSD warrantied it, it was still frutsrating. I ended up selling it all and going back to my trusty 009 and compufire. I plan on installing a Mallory hyfire this year because I've been running one on my Mustang and I'm very happy with it. It has lots of nice features like a secondary rpm limiter, start retard, and an adjustable window switch. If you are going to get an MSD system, though, I reccomend the Digital 6. I know a couple people who have those in their bugs and they seem happy with them. That's my two cents.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 03:08:51 am »

010!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 05:21:13 am »

.010, .019, or an .009. Take yer pick.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 07:16:23 am »

Hi!

I would prefer the HyFire unit over the MSD as well. Infact, thatīs what I have in my car. As said before by redwagon the Mallory unit has some nice features which you would only get for extra $ at MSD.
BTW: you could run the HyFire with a period correct distributor as well - with or without points!
I use a Treuhaft 010 with Mallory Unilite module or alternatively a Bosch 010 with hall sensor to get period looks with todays technology.

Tobi
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: