The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:34:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  One last Cal-look road trip before winter!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: One last Cal-look road trip before winter!  (Read 3716 times)
Mike Maize

« on: November 02, 2008, 22:30:40 pm »

My Son and I set out early this morning in my 67 to go to the last test and tune at a drag strip about 50 miles away. It was cold and the IDA's sounded awesome breathing the thick crisp Autumn air. This trip follows mostly rolling back roads and the trees were in full color, I was in heaven even if I was a little cold! The trip to the track went without as much as a hiccup. The scene at the track was laid back with the owner grilling burgers and hot dogs. The turnout was light and that was fine with me as well. I had only gotten to drag the car once this summer and I was ripe to drive it hard Wink First pass I was at 13 flat so I was stoked..... I pulled into the pits and without a word my son yanks the back seat and a few other things and tells me to go get a 12... I went back out and cut a 12.97 @ 103 so I was really stoked. I got about four or five more runs in and the car performed well EVERY time...wish I could say the same for me. Embarrassed At one point the track guy walked back into the staging lane and tapped on my window and asked if "I drove this thing here?" When I said, "I did"...He said "I'll bet you are making a bunch of the V8 guys mad today!" Grin We had some burgers and I even got into the track 100MPH club for street driven cars. The ride home was as great as the trip there and somehow the car and I are both more satisfied to take a rest for the winter now......Pictures later.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 22:38:38 pm by Mike Maize » Logged
Sarge

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 22:35:57 pm »

Nice story, Mike! Cool Cool Cool

DKP III
67worshipper

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 23:29:33 pm »

ace story mike Wink is it stock gears in there to pull 12s

vw hot rod heaven
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 03:13:30 am »

How'bout them videos?

Mike H.

Sven was right.
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 05:11:45 am »

Great story. I think there should be a club named the "I just had a V8 Club".  Being beat by a VW is what made me sell my 56 Chevy in 1970 and build my first VW.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
vwcab

peter

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 19:02:44 pm »

I wished,I could spend my sundays like that!  Cheesy
Great story,Mike  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 19:16:30 pm »

VERY VERY COOL! Sounds like an awesome day out! Very fast times Mike, no matter if you drive it or not, but all the more impressive that you did! I bet you pissed off a lot of V8-heads.... good for you.
I can't wait until my son is old enough to go for some blitzkrieg drives in my Bug.... Cool
I know he already digs the sound of the car firing up in the garage, he gets this serious look on his face then swings his eyes to the car and starts laughing.  'atta boy!

Thanks for the story!
peach_

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 20:08:08 pm »

wicked story, cant wait to take my bug down the strip Grin

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Mike Maize

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 21:14:35 pm »

ace story mike Wink is it stock gears in there to pull 12s
Its got closer than stock 3rd and 4th. Around 3800ish at 60MPH . Funniest thing is my son is 15 now and growing like a weed so he sleeps a LOT, anyway he actually nodded out on the way home in that "rattle trap". If I would gun it hard he would just open one eye for a peek at what was going on and then right back to sleep.... Cheesy I do feel VERY fortunate to get to spend any Sunday like that. Especially the V8 crowd part ...Ha Ha
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 22:01:53 pm »

COOL story dude  Cool Cool Cool I took the Manx out for one last blast off road a few weeks back - Nothing like have one last HARD drive before the winter sets in  Smiley

Oh yeah cool story too Rick about the 56  Cheesy Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 01:45:05 am »

Great story Smiley Makes me want a "real" motor!
I put about 350 trouble free miles in the GTV this last weekend, it turned over 121k miles and averaged 28mpg Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Sam K

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 01:51:54 am »

Greta story, Mike! It's been unseasonably warm here in Denver, so I've been driving my Bug a lot the last couple weeks and loving every minute of it.
Mike Maize

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 02:12:20 am »

Yeah it looks like I'll get another few miles on it this weekend too. This global warming is good for our car seasons here Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: