The weight saving thread

<< < (130/201) > >>

andy198712:
Quote from: brian e on April 02, 2013, 16:56:12 pm

I had thought about both of these options.  I even sourced some thin wall nylon tube that will fit nicely into the newly drilled end hole.  I might try it out on these. 

I also like the no oil option with a separate spray bar or feed line to the rocker shaft. 

Some light 356 style lifters with a small diameter body will be next.  Probably not before winter though. 

I will heat threat these tips and get them into an engine in the next few weeks for testing.  The next run will have a few more little changes to shave a tiny bit more off each of them.     

Brian

how much do the 356 lifters weigh?

spanners:
Some more clever ideas coming out, as to the roll centre Peter, No, ive not calculated it, but bugs are quite good with some work, seat is low and light,  i sit as low as i can, to the point where i have to guess where the track margins are  if im unsighted in a dog fight lol, gear box is raised to drop the roof line, i have to run at 40mm max ground clearance or i would go down lower,  i am looking at 13" wheels as there are good gains to be had from them, and the very latest KEVLAR TYRES, all the latest compounds and very very... LIGHT.. my pet hate is the big wheel fashion for "lookers", they miss out on so much free cornering power and wonder why they have problems lowering their cars, more so on 02/3 supers...
but off topic...   
 one good thing about the brazilian floor pans and panels is they are very very light, i love all the paper thin re pro panels, ;) so light...
Monika boy, Yes, ive seen tripods on street cars, as you say on inner joints, they dont have the angle range to steer and drive..
Now, if i had 2 grand sterling id buy a carbon skid lid, another 1.5 kilos saved lol
up untill the early 80's we could run alloy roll cages, but i suppose they had to go, Banned unfortunately.

brian e:
Quote from: andy198712 on April 02, 2013, 18:12:01 pm

how much do the 356 lifters weigh?

here is some pretty good info and pics.  I was just going to do a type 1 lifter with a smaller stem and make some smaller ID bushings for the case.

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,8438.0.html

Brian

richie:
Quote from: Jon on April 02, 2013, 14:34:08 pm

Quote from: richie on April 02, 2013, 09:39:03 am

Quote from: brian e on April 01, 2013, 23:50:46 pm

Here are some push rod tips I made.  I still need to run them through the oven and heat treat them. 
.7oz's per 16 lighter then the regular tips that come with the standard chro-mo cut to length sets.  I could have removed a little more in a few places, but these were a quickie experiment.  I think I will try titanium next for a little more weight savings.  I will be adding them to my own .035" wall 4130 tube. 

Brian

How much does it add that the bigger hole will fill with oil? I would think that with ti it might actually be heavier with the oil than the Ti left in there?

cheers richie

That depends on if you are competing in dry or wet class Richie... ;)
How about running them empty (air) and make a separate oil line to the rockershaft... might even save in something on spring tension.

Jon

I have seen them with blank tips,no hole to do exactly that,the possible downside is that with no hot oil passing through they wont expand at all and the valve lash problem with be even greater.

A spray bar to lubricate the rockers and cool the valve springs would solve the other problems,not a new idea as I think there is a WBX already doing this ;)

cheers Richie

spanners:
yes,, i run spray jets to the valve springs on my circuit wassers, but i use tractor technology as its reliable, ive seen it done with an external spray bar system on the Scat heads as they were short on oil supply for circuit racing, but they were still un reliable for any endurance work, my way uses nothing more than a milled channel in the rocker bore leading to a vee shaped grove on the spring side of the rocker, it mimics the spring compression movements and emmits a fan shaped oil jet, very effective and cant go wrong. KISS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page