The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 23:43:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  early porsche wheels and slicks...tubes needed ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: early porsche wheels and slicks...tubes needed ?  (Read 4794 times)
Brown-nose

« on: May 19, 2008, 13:32:24 pm »

genuine gasburners (no safety bead),6 inch slicks ready to fit. have firestone drag racing inner tubes also. are they needed ?
i would have to open up the valve hole in the wheel to fit,something i don't really want to do on genuine wheels
are the slicks ok without tubes on a non safety bead wheel ?
thanks
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 14:58:26 pm »

genuine gasburners (no safety bead),6 inch slicks ready to fit. have firestone drag racing inner tubes also. are they needed ?
i would have to open up the valve hole in the wheel to fit,something i don't really want to do on genuine wheels
are the slicks ok without tubes on a non safety bead wheel ?
thanks

I used tubes on my burners and MH slicks. No problems. And a funny story; only one wheel needed balancing weights - 15 grams. All the other balanced to 0 on the first attempt without having to turn the rubber around.

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Brown-nose

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 16:40:16 pm »

thanks. i really don't want to have to open up the valve hole for these particular tubes. did you use normal tubes ?
what made you go for tubes with slicks,safety ?
Bruce

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 17:42:17 pm »

...are the slicks ok without tubes on a non safety bead wheel ?
Safety bead humps have nothing to do with tubes or tubeless tires.  Remember, VW went to tubeless tires in 1957, but didn't get safety bead humps until 1967.
Use tubes or not, whatever you want.  Make sure your wheels are completely painted everywhere.  This prevents moisture from absorbing into the Mg sponge.
Brown-nose

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 18:04:34 pm »

thanks for the info,Bruce. sorry though,polished and detailed burners Smiley short of sealing them in an airtight bag,nothing can stop the moisture creep !
any tips on how to store slicks off the car. i heard a dark,dry place. but inflated or not ?
thanks
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 18:32:10 pm »

thanks. i really don't want to have to open up the valve hole for these particular tubes. did you use normal tubes ?
what made you go for tubes with slicks,safety ?

Normal tubes and glued the tires on using glue commonly used by tractor pullers. The tires did not move a cm.

Best rgs
BB

Brown-nose

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 18:52:17 pm »

is glue essential ?
any other experiences out there ?
thanks
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 18:59:26 pm »

is glue essential ?
any other experiences out there ?
thanks

Essential? Depends on who you ask. I decided I wanted to play safe after I saw the result of a tire coming loose in this thread; http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,132.0.html Safety was (is) important to me and that`s why I glued them. It is possible to remove the tire later on...

Brown-nose

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 21:05:57 pm »

Thanks for that BeetleBug

so if Bruce reckons the bead makes no difference who else runs slicks without tubes? or if you run tubes,what type ?
thanks
Bruce

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 02:36:47 am »

thanks for the info,Bruce. sorry though,polished and detailed burners Smiley short of sealing them in an airtight bag,nothing can stop the moisture creep !
True, but you can slow it down.  Make sure the backsides and where the tires go are fully 100% painted to seal those surfaces.  A buddy of mine puts bags over his genuine BRMs when not driven.  He says it really helps to reduce the corrosion.
Brown-nose

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 09:53:27 am »

thanks again Bruce. my burners have suffered over the years. they have the crazy paving effect under the paint. also where paint has chipped they look like granite underneath,not a flat surface. they were vapour blasted then primed and painted. most people i have spoken to about these wheels just reckon you either live with it or plan on re-doing them every so often,or paint the entire wheel so moisture cannot get underneath the bare polished surface. or move to california
i may do them again..

back on topic. don't want to open up the hole for drag tubes and prefer not to glue. should i just run the slicks as they are or use normal road tubes...?

thank you racers
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 10:26:24 am »

I have used my 6" M&H on my genuine gasburners and not had any trouble with them.
I do feel that the word genuine is important, as I expect Mahle to make rims with higher tolerances than the copies being made. The car that had the accident had replicas, and they may or may not be gripping the tire the same way.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Brown-nose

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 10:34:27 am »

I have used my 6" M&H on my genuine gasburners and not had any trouble with them.
I do feel that the word genuine is important, as I expect Mahle to make rims with higher tolerances than the copies being made. The car that had the accident had replicas, and they may or may not be gripping the tire the same way.

thanks JHU. tubes or glue  Cheesy ?
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 11:15:02 am »

Neither

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Brown-nose

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 12:17:03 pm »

Neither

hurray Grin thanks
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: