The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 23:58:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Angle flow heads available again
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Angle flow heads available again  (Read 125762 times)
ugly duckling

« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2008, 21:07:54 pm »

sorry if i affended you in any way. i usaly have the utmost respect for most hand taylord head guys like your self D.K  i think if the tables wern turned that you would have acked in the same fashion if i would have come on your street elimnator thread but i know better not to i wouldent have done it. i do apresate the constructive critasisum thou and i thank you for that. as for the AF head i am trying too utilize the the chamber space that i have wich is alot i dident want the same old 50mm 0r 52 or 53 i want too see 56 work and i will 2.200 now thats some space and if i can make it work it will be worth it to me anyway. i wont qwit until i do so maybe i will have to weld on the head or maybe i wont will see. take care yall. UD.

K-Roc

« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2008, 00:45:53 am »

It's all cool Jeff, and thanks, as I said in my previous post I could have worded my statment a little better, ( sorry bout that)

My biggest concern for the 56mm Valve now would be if there is enough meat down below the valve seat to get a big enough bowl and short turn in there.

Thanks

K-Roc,

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2008, 09:23:47 am »

Just out of curiosity UD, in the intake line up theres a % column, one in the ex. then the one which gives the E/I ratio - what do the ones in the intake and exhaust actually represent /what are they a percentage of? Apologies if this is a dumb ass question...

ugly duckling

« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2008, 23:35:31 pm »

hello kafer boy. are you talking about flow sheet #4 the numbers down on the far right if i understand you right those are the numbers what it would be if we would have flowed the head at 28INCHES of flow 342cfm at 800 lift. but since we did not we will see the lower #s 323 cfm at 800 lift at 25 INCHES. hope that anwsers your quistion and also if i may point somthing out i have never flowed this head and any other ACVW head with out installing the INTAKE manifold first i would be curiose to see what it would do with out it but what would that prove. nothing to me. flow it like it was meant to run on the engine the only thing were missing is the fuel dumping devises.  UD.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 05:01:04 am by ugly duckling » Logged

John Maher

« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2008, 23:53:28 pm »

Just out of curiosity UD, in the intake line up theres a % column, one in the ex. then the one which gives the E/I ratio - what do the ones in the intake and exhaust actually represent /what are they a percentage of? Apologies if this is a dumb ass question...

Superflow flow benches have a selection of flow orifices, ranging from small to large. Each orifice is rated at a particular flow cfm, based on the depression chosen for the test (25" H2O in this case, as seen on the vertical manometer).

When flowing a head you typically start at low lift eg .050" and work your way up in .050" increments to max lift and beyond. At lower lift you opt for a small-ish orifice, the idea being to choose an orifice that flows just a little more than the capability of the head at that particular lift. You'll notice from the flow sheet the percentages you mention increase up to a point where the next largest orifice is chosen, at which stage the percentage drops and then increases again with higher lifts.

Superflow's inclined manometer shows what percentage of flow you have through the port compared to the orifice unobstructed. Eg if orifice no2 flows 100cfm by itself and with the head in place the inclined manometer is reading 85%, flow for that particular lift increment is 85cfm (100 x 0.85). As you increase lift, the port will reach a point where it flows more than the 100cfm orifice is capable of so you step up to no3 and calculate your flow as percentage of that, and so on.....

To summarise, the % figures you refer to aren't directly related to the head itself, more to do with the way flow is calculated as a result of the various orifice sizes the Superflow design uses and this info is needed in order to calculate the cfm figures we're all interested in. Taking the various percentages and cfm numbers from the posted photos of the flow sheets allows you to calculate the 100% figure for the orifices (labelled 'Range' on the flow sheet) used for the test.

More modern benches do all this electronically and save the pencil, paper and calculator work. Digital add-ons are also available to digitise older SuperFlows but although the older method takes longer, the end results should come out the same.

Not sure if I made things any clearer?   Wink

John Maher

ugly duckling

« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2008, 00:59:30 am »

thanks for that john. UD.

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2008, 10:33:17 am »

Thanks John/Jeff. All added to my memory banks!!

Bruce

« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2008, 20:36:45 pm »

..... i have never flowed this head and any other ACVW head with out installing the INTAKE manifold first i would be curiose to see what it would do with out it but what would that prove. nothing to me.
It will always flow a bit more without the manifold (and with clay formed around the opening), but that info is pretty meaningless since you can't run an engine without a manifold.  I'm sure many guys who do flow heads w/o the manifold, do it just because they haven't ported it yet.
But that brings up an interesting point.  When you look at the advertisements or postings of flow numbers, do they include the manifold or not?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 20:38:51 pm by Bruce » Logged
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2008, 09:58:15 am »

Not to mention a restrictive IDA on top of everything...
Awesome work UD!!

But tell me were lies the gain in these heads compared to some other Superflow relative?
With less of an angle on the exhaust it seems to make sense to the untrained eye, but what about the exhaust? You would have to make a much sharper turn to get back to "square one"? Is it more "ok" to turn sharply when you have some distance form the exhaust valve... or isn't this the trick about these heads at all?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2008, 17:23:15 pm »

In my humble opinion, THAT is how heads should be flowed! Everything from the velocity stack to the valve.

Looking pretty sturdy, UD Wink
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 17:28:26 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Bruce

« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2008, 20:20:33 pm »

In my humble opinion, THAT is how heads should be flowed! Everything from the velocity stack to the valve.

Looking pretty sturdy, UD Wink
How do you create the standard then?  What venturis?  What stacks?  What about the guy running big EFI throttle bodies?
Because of the vast variables, it isn't much value to include a carb.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2008, 21:18:57 pm »

Awesome work UD!!

But tell me were lies the gain in these heads compared to some other Superflow relative?
With less of an angle on the exhaust it seems to make sense to the untrained eye, but what about the exhaust? You would have to make a much sharper turn to get back to "square one"? Is it more "ok" to turn sharply when you have some distance form the exhaust valve... or isn't this the trick about these heads at all?

I wonder about the header too. I guess if the bend from ports (primary) are large radius, then it would improve scavenging? Then we need to talk about length...   Roll Eyes

And cross section of exhaust port shape? Isn't the "D" shape the "magic trick".....does that still work with these angled ports.

Sorry UD, we are snaking all of your speed secrets!!! Awesome work, and we are all learning a lot from your hard work.

keep up great work, and thanks for sharing
ugly duckling

« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2008, 06:05:26 am »

im sure that alot have there different opinuon on the ex port design. this is my thought. im thinking the port design would be very promising realving heat out of the head faster than the deep long radius type heads and also not exposing the valve stem as much there for not bending ex valves stems in turbo apps yes you need heat in turbo apps but not to the pounit were you are melting ex stems  as far as flowing better than conventinal stuff all i can say is im working on it. i have always been conservitive on my port size on the ex side. whats nice about the flange on the angle flow is that the studs are spread alot farther than oem stud location wich makes it nice when installing hardware. some people have a hard time relating to the angle port due to having to custom build a header for it. well its not a big deal nothing that cant be fabed up. and whats cool about the port design is that it dosent look the norm who the heck wants that i surely dont.just my two bits if it means anything to anybody engofe rambeling for now.  UD.

ugly duckling

« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2008, 05:44:33 am »

steped up some on the manifold. will see on the numbers. now its a 2.450 inlet and 1 1/2 taller. UD

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2008, 10:01:46 am »

'So, yeah, I decided to just make those manifolds a bit taller, you know, why not?'

Cheesy Cheesy I wis I had that kinda talent UD, looks awesome.

71CALRIPPER

« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2008, 10:10:18 am »

talent , understanding and determination !!
58vw

« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2008, 05:49:49 am »

looks like a toilet bowl......and i meant that in a good way Grin

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
ugly duckling

« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2008, 02:32:23 am »

heres a new flow sheet as of 7/2/08 still no weld what so ever on head casting obvius weld of coarse on manifold chamber has 34.6cc. port on cly head casting has stayed the same since original flow sheet #1 wich was 299 at 740lift. now were at 323cfm at 25in like always at 750lift and 331cfm at 800. and solid 200+cfm#s at 300lift to 600lift should i keep going naw ive proved my point on the intake side. time to up my exhast. as of right now the intake on paper has the potential to make NA360hp at 13.5 comp and above. also again head was flowed with manifold like always now at 62mm entry and spark plug like always never to give false #s. am i proud of the #s (darn tooten!!) UD.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 02:37:34 am by ugly duckling » Logged

redbluebug

« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2008, 02:46:13 am »

Awesome work Jeff!   I want to hear this engine rumble Cool     Have a cold one dude, you deserve it Wink
Neil Davies

« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2008, 09:01:24 am »

Wow. Nothing else to say really. Grin

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #110 on: July 03, 2008, 15:23:27 pm »

Great work Jeff as always the only thing is you may need to put four more holes in it.

Or you are not going to be able bolt it down. Cheesy

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Hahaha your killing me.........
Casey

« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2008, 18:19:21 pm »

Very impressive. I love to see the industry charging forward! UD I bet you have aluminum shavings all over your kitchen. My wife would be pissed.  Grin

DKP III
58vw

« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2008, 02:38:55 am »

hey richie.....you sure you still want that turbo..... Grin

www.4inbore.com
ugly duckling

« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2008, 04:50:44 am »

oh tim leave him alone. richie likes leaving contrails in the english air with his conair Tongue. UD.

Marty

« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2008, 17:46:37 pm »

hey richie.....you sure you still want that turbo..... Grin

IMO the A/F head is the best turbo head there is.

Also, I dont see these heads being used on anything smaller than a 4" bore head stud pattern unless you use the ARPM 3 liter head pattern.
58vw

« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2008, 18:33:36 pm »

ya i was just razzin richie...since i know nothing about turbos and im an na guy i leave that stuff to the experts like you and richie and all the other fast guys out there.

and as far as the 4" bore stuff on those heads...thats exactly what we are pushing for, make it more readily available for those he may want to build a 4" engine. Grin

well....happy 4th to everybody!! im off to disneyland Cry
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 18:35:38 pm by 58vw » Logged

www.4inbore.com
ugly duckling

« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2008, 03:30:50 am »

wasser boxer pattern works great on these castings.heres when i used to have to weld them up. well not no more thank god. UD.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 03:37:38 am by ugly duckling » Logged

Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2008, 21:53:04 pm »

Art.

Done ? Not Yet.
ugly duckling

« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2008, 22:01:07 pm »

oohh ahh  ohhh ahhh. thers gold in them there heads.ok berilium copper close enoghf. 1.650ex/2.150int.UD.

richie

« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2008, 22:30:29 pm »

oohh ahh  ohhh ahhh. thers gold in them there heads.ok berilium copper close enoghf. 1.650ex/2.150int.UD.

Cheesy Cheesy

Hi jeff Smiley nice to see you are still on them Smiley

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: