The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 16:20:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Rimco closing down
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rimco closing down  (Read 3542 times)
Neil Davies

« on: June 25, 2008, 14:02:03 pm »

Just been on thesamba and it seems like Rimco is to close at some point soon. Never had any dealings with them personally but did have a set of their rods in a motor. They did seem to be the people to go to for machine work, especially in the SoCal area, and one of the longest lasting companies too.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=299765

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 14:20:17 pm »

Bummer. I was afraid of this... the other day, I happened to be in that area of town and drove by Riddle Machine Co.  on Dyer Road in Santa Ana. There was a For Lease sign up in front their building. I asked my local VW parts shop if they knew about it. They didn't.

Sad to see an old VW company like leave the scene. Back when I was managing Long Beach Auto Haus, I was also building engines on the side... always took my components to RIMCO for all of my machining, balancing, and blueprinting needs. Does anyone know if they're merely relocating, or are they done?

Sad
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 14:22:05 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
nicolas

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 15:09:21 pm »

that would be very very sad news.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 15:28:56 pm »

I first read this over on the other cal-look board.  Wasn't a whole lot of info at the time, looks like it is getting more definitive what is happening.  I was about to send a case out to them, also.

At least I can say I picked up my rods right from their counter on a trip to CA one time.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 16:22:03 pm »

I heard about this over the Classic weekend Undecided Never had any personal experience with them, but if anyone is looking for alternatives try out Brothers VW Machine in Ontario. Slinger and I dropped off an AS21 case Friday afternoon before the Classic to have the "works" done (align bored, bored cylinders, stroke relieved, 10mm headstuds, full flow, lifter bushings, spot face case for 15mm nuts... the works!), and they had it done just over 24 hours later!!! Unreal!! Since we weren't in that part of SoCal on Saturday, the Brothers agreed to meet us on SUNDAY at their shop when they are normally closed!! Understandably, we thought that was pretty cool, so they will be getting all of our case work from now on.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 16:28:22 pm »

that would be very very sad news.

Absolutely.

Done ? Not Yet.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 16:28:47 pm »

Thankfully, there are a few good machine shops left in So Cal. Hitchcock in Signal Hill/Long Beach area has been around for many years, too. Hopefully, these shops can hang on and stay in business. So sad to see a lot of the old shops closing down over the last few years.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 16:36:59 pm »

I hope it isn't the case. (no pun inteded).

I did a lot of business with Rimco over 11 years I was at BH, gosh we must have sent 2 or 3 cases a week down there for "the works".... never a hiccup in quality or service. Rimco, along with a (very) few vendors I dealt with were always on top of their game.

how long have they been around, must be around 40 years or so, huh?
67worshipper

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 16:44:11 pm »

seems strange such a highly respected company shutting down. Cry

vw hot rod heaven
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 20:31:12 pm »

Not at all. Pappy Riddle is as old as the hills and times are a-changing. It is sad but has been ont he cards for quite some time – we just never thought it would actually happen.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
67worshipper

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 21:18:46 pm »

Not at all. Pappy Riddle is as old as the hills and times are a-changing. It is sad but has been ont he cards for quite some time – we just never thought it would actually happen.
christ i didnt realize he was as old as you KS Grin

vw hot rod heaven
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 21:25:19 pm »

Damn, not very good news. Never had any of their products but they should be great products from what I hear. Maybe they should have a nice internet shop because a lot of people are ordering over the internet nowadays.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
ESH

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 21:48:19 pm »

Had my case done by them and had some more work with them not so long ago. It seems a bit of a shame to me.  Embarrassed

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 22:05:39 pm »

can't really judge on it being a loss for the industry or anything. no doubt that they've around for a while.

but the fact that one of my rimco super rods, that have received all 'the works' balancing etc, is 4 grammes off makes me wonder...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: