The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:07:55 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  New (Cal-Look) Steering wheel?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New (Cal-Look) Steering wheel?  (Read 4220 times)
JS

« on: May 18, 2008, 20:08:58 pm »

I´m thinking about swapping the steering wheel in my 58 bug for a new one. I now have an old Superior flat dish whitch is super cool IMHO, but I´m really growing tired of it. Being a flat dish it´s kind of hard to get a comfortable driving position because the wheel is far away from you, and the wooden grip is almost square - not very comfy. I won´t get one of the Empi repro´s because while they are cool I don´t think they will suit the car.

So. Can I get away with one of these in your opinion?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=GRT%2D502&N=700+4294839012+400103+4294891653+4294891681+4294891651+4294790504+115&autoview=sku

What I´m thinking is that the only thing on the car that´s made of wood is the grip on the wheel. The car is black, why not go for a wheel with a black grip?
Looks comfy, round grip, dished so it´ll be nearer my driving position...

What do you think? Was this design popular or even heard of in cal-lookers back in the day?

Johnny.

Signature.
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 21:16:48 pm »

i like it. but maybe the chrome is a horn is a bit too bright in a early car... maybe not. i like grant steeringwheels, but not the wooden ones.
cal-look.net

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 21:38:13 pm »

I have a very similar Moon Eyes wheel in my bug, works well.

I agree about the Grant wooden wheels, my old one creaked!

Felix/DFL

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 21:39:38 pm »

Hey, those steering wheels (in style) were involved till the beginning of cal-look.

If you swap the horn button they look good.
I like them and had one in my notch but the diameter was so small that the turn signal lever was out of the diameter and to close to the steering wheel.
So sadly to tiny for the BIG volkswagen  Wink

Greetz,
Felix
JS

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 22:04:05 pm »

Would it "fit" a pre 60 steering column? Or just look stupid because it will be too far back?

Signature.
67worshipper

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 22:24:42 pm »

ive got an empi vdm wheel but i like the look of those mooneye three spokes Wink theyve def. got old skool looker about them.i was a favourite of the formuling france wheels of yesteryear.david kanase,s black looker had a nice wheel in it.

vw hot rod heaven
JS

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 22:57:21 pm »

A friend of mine offered to loan me his steering wheel to test the fit.  Smiley Thanks for the advice.
Can´t believe I didn´t remember that the Aronson/Holmes car had one of those...  Roll Eyes

Signature.
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 05:16:43 am »

Cal Look . Net can you e mail me more pictures of your car exterior including more shots of your interior and engine compartment. I like what you have done to your car.

Thanks
   Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 09:58:22 am »

Can´t believe I didn´t remember that the Aronson/Holmes car had one of those...  Roll Eyes

too much green bottle beer?  Grin
67worshipper

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 13:28:21 pm »

Cal Look . Net can you e mail me more pictures of your car exterior including more shots of your interior and engine compartment. I like what you have done to your car.

Thanks
   Frenchy
hi frenchy.if you cal-look.net as a web address it goes to bug-in website.look on the bottom of the page it says my 65 its all there with loads of build up pics.it was also volksworld featured but unsure what date Roll Eyes

vw hot rod heaven
cal-look.net

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 16:24:20 pm »

Thanks for the kind words Frenchy!

my site is indeed www.cal-look.net - I am soooo slack at updating it though LOL!!

It's say's my 65 - it is actually a '66 Australian Import! not sure what I was smoking when I put that page together, really must get my ass in gear and change it!

Feel free to mail me at steve@cal-look.net too.

Cheers  Grin

Steve
leec

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 19:09:35 pm »

Love your car, its very similar to my beryl green 63,

Have you got any more pics of the accelerator pedal-ie what bracket you use?

Lee
JS

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 20:23:07 pm »

too much green bottle beer?  Grin

I´ll try to control myself Nicolas!  Grin
Tried the new steering wheel today and while it was a bit far from the dash, it felt GREAT when i got strapped in the seat belt. Nice and comfy!
Thanks for the scan Felix! Smiley

Signature.
cal-look.net

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 23:22:51 pm »

Got no close ups of the accel pedal.

The Moon Eyes pedal bolts to the pan and pushes a skateboard wheel mounted on the old throttle pedal lever.

Doesn't actually work too well, is a bit snappy, needs a bit of a re think!

Loads of people think my car is beryl green! it's not green damn it!!!! Wink
67worshipper

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 13:42:34 pm »

is it hearing aid beige steve Grin i take it you dont like green then?

vw hot rod heaven
cal-look.net

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 15:27:33 pm »

that's the one mate Wink

nothing against greens, I like to think of my car as a similar colour to the airfix kits I built as a kid - that is what it all looked like when it was painted and had to be all put back together!!

my mate, who is not into VWs, said my car was all very impressive, but what the hell posessed me to paint it hearing aid brown! Wink he has a point!

any ways it is L563 - Safari Beige - a mid 60s Type 3 colour - very ikea Wink
Felix/DFL

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 19:10:56 pm »

I´ll try to control myself Nicolas!  Grin
Tried the new steering wheel today and while it was a bit far from the dash, it felt GREAT when i got strapped in the seat belt. Nice and comfy!
Thanks for the scan Felix! Smiley

No no, those kind words should go to Mark Mayes and his very nice website where the Hot VWs Feb`75 is completly scanned !
Have a look at the "cal look" of the past  Wink
http://www.amayesing.com/hvw275.htm

Even the whole website is soo nice and has tons of cool informations,especially the literatur section is a cherry. Those old catalouges were some real pieces of art.
So have a nice ride at the www!
http://www.amayesing.com/oldvwlit.htm

Hang loose,Felix
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 19:13:19 pm by Felix/DFL » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: