The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:50:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  lucas 488
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: lucas 488  (Read 4548 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« on: May 19, 2008, 19:55:37 pm »

i've a question as you know  some 70's cal look had lucas 488 model  ,but which one was used Huh single bulb(one contact) or double bulb (2 contacts)
just used as a turn signal or turn signal & parking light

the one on my car is double bulb (21/5 w)

thx fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 22:16:13 pm »

Both!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 23:00:19 pm »

People from the '70s & '80s simply installed whatever they could get their hands on, truth be known. I've seen both single or double on cars.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
maX cal-look

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 12:20:18 pm »

I got double bulb ( 2 contact ) on mine ...

I must to fix and plug ( in pic's, there only put in hole ) ...

http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images_v2/002/510/702/20080517/dyn008_original_640_480_pjpeg_2510702_9c71dc86167336f963f2a957284debe6.jpg

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 13:51:30 pm »

To be honest, don't worry about what type of lights people fitted 30 or more years ago. If you like the look of single-terminal Lucas lights, then go with them – if the idea of twin-terminal lights appeals, then great! They both look the same when they're switched off, so the question is whether you personally want to use Lucas lights as running lights or not.

People mustn't get too hung up on the minutiae of years past. There are no hard and fast (fixed) 'rules' to follow, and never have been. That silly drawing in Feb 75 Hot VWs was simply to give out of state (or out of OC!) readers a rough idea of what was happening in SoCal. It was not a 'rule book' to follow. God forbid that it should be seen that way! In fact, some of the features on that drawing had fallen out of favour by 1975 anyway (tinted rear quarter windows, being one).

Everybody should simply build the car that makes them happy, not one to please other people. As Bill S says, our cars are the modern equivalent of the traditional '32 Ford Hi-boy hot rods of old. Who would dare say whether someone should or should not be running Duval windshields, or Halibrand 'Quickie' rear ends on a Hi-boy? It's the overall look (and the owner's attitude) which is important, not feeling that we have to slavishly follow 'rules'.

Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
cal-look.net

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 15:50:38 pm »

I totally agree Keith!

My bug is inspired by the cars of the 70s, but times have moved on and I didn't build it in the 70s!

I run Beard seats as they are comfy and my back is shot, I run an modern Autometer Tach I like the way it looks and it works well, I run an MSD system as it does it's job well, I run Lucas turn signals as I think they look cool, I dechromed it because I like the cleanlines and don't have to polish trim!, I have a narrowed bean because I like the way it looks etc etc

Following 'the rules' I fitted 1 piece widows! - they are crap! I fitted a NOS Talbot mirror - looks awesome but can't see shit in it because I put it where it looks cool rather than so I could see behind!! Wink

Great to be into period stuff, and if you have the cash and the time by all means build a period perfect 70s Cal Looker - but I say just build what is in your head for yourself.

Great if you have a 70s survivor, but if you are building a car now why not take advantage of progress!

Getting hung up on crazy period details will send your head daft, remember the real reason you are building your car - to drive it and enjoy it.

I worried too much about what people would think until very recently when I realised it doesn't really matter as long as you enjoy it!

Grin
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 15:57:35 pm by cal-look.net » Logged
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 16:00:03 pm »

Amen to the last two posts. I've always been a believer in doing your own thing. Long as you enjoy the end result... who cares? I crack up when I hear "rules" regarding Cal Look cars. Like we say at a surf or skateboard session; it's not who's the best, but who's having the most fun. THAT person wins. Period.

Back to thread content; Fabian, what are you going to go with, the single or dual filament? Amber or clear lenses? Leave the Lucas trim rings chrome or paint 'em the same color as the body paint?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 16:28:34 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: