The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 14:23:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350873 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  A Day at the Races with The Citroen DS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A Day at the Races with The Citroen DS  (Read 2926 times)
powdercoater

Scott "The Purple Powder Coater"

« on: May 20, 2008, 20:27:14 pm »

Dear Richie and All Citroen Admirers:
I was the pilot of the "Thunder Frog" Citroen DS this last weekend at El Mirage.  I must say that this was a complete honor to drive the T-Frog at El Mirage.  i was given the opportunirty by Richard Huffnagl the 75 year old car owner.  We are in a land speed racing club called the Gear Grinders (you must belong to one of the LSR clubs to earn points at El Mirage or to set records at Bonneville) and we met quite by accident.  He has owned the car since 2000 and he had only run the car once at Bonneville in 2003.  The car has been updated with a 496 ci. aluminum headed Chevrolet big block.  It has Kinsler fuel injection and a Doug Nash (Eton) 5 speed tansmission.  We attained 173 MPH (281 KPH) on our third of four passes.  The car will get some adjustments and hopefully go back to El Mirage in July, we will need to miss the June meet unfortunately.
I have gron up in a racing family and have never been given the opportunity to drive a pro built car.  After working on just about every type of car, boat, motorcycle plane and any other performance machine I was blown away when Richard asked me to drive the T-Frog.  This car is so cool.  I am very appreciative to Richard and one of my very dear friends from France now living here in Los Angeles, Philippe Danh.  Philippe was ther to strap me in and help with anything that I needed to stay comfortable in 41 degree temperatures, thanks Philippe!
We have more to go and thsi car has seen rund in the 240 MPH range with a blown big block in it, we should be able to get 225 or more with the naturally aspirated set up that is now in the car.
Thanks to all for the support and the encouragement, it is very much apprectiaed.  I hope to see y'all at El Mirage or Bonneville, come say hi!  Cheers!
Scott   

"Bad powder coatuing is no better than a spray can paint job"
richie

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 20:37:00 pm »

Dear Richie and All Citroen Admirers:
I was the pilot of the "Thunder Frog" Citroen DS this last weekend at El Mirage.  I must say that this was a complete honor to drive the T-Frog at El Mirage.  i was given the opportunirty by Richard Huffnagl the 75 year old car owner.  We are in a land speed racing club called the Gear Grinders (you must belong to one of the LSR clubs to earn points at El Mirage or to set records at Bonneville) and we met quite by accident.  He has owned the car since 2000 and he had only run the car once at Bonneville in 2003.  The car has been updated with a 496 ci. aluminum headed Chevrolet big block.  It has Kinsler fuel injection and a Doug Nash (Eton) 5 speed tansmission.  We attained 173 MPH (281 KPH) on our third of four passes.  The car will get some adjustments and hopefully go back to El Mirage in July, we will need to miss the June meet unfortunately.
I have gron up in a racing family and have never been given the opportunity to drive a pro built car.  After working on just about every type of car, boat, motorcycle plane and any other performance machine I was blown away when Richard asked me to drive the T-Frog.  This car is so cool.  I am very appreciative to Richard and one of my very dear friends from France now living here in Los Angeles, Philippe Danh.  Philippe was ther to strap me in and help with anything that I needed to stay comfortable in 41 degree temperatures, thanks Philippe!
We have more to go and thsi car has seen rund in the 240 MPH range with a blown big block in it, we should be able to get 225 or more with the naturally aspirated set up that is now in the car.
Thanks to all for the support and the encouragement, it is very much apprectiaed.  I hope to see y'all at El Mirage or Bonneville, come say hi!  Cheers!
Scott   

hi Scott,
thanks for posting that,knowing what is like to be racing I didnt want to bother you with lots of questions Smiley  Good luck with getting the car back to were it belongs
 cheers richie,uk 

Ps i took a video of it on the 172/173mph run about half way along the course that I will post when I get a chance

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 20:45:20 pm »

welcome on the lounge scott Wink
rgd
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 22:07:58 pm »

You know Philippe Danh? Phu-Phu? That figures! Ive been friends with Phu-Phu for 20years. What a great guy! The Citroen looks awesome. Vive la France! Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
ESH

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 23:09:53 pm »

Awesome car and good to have you on here.  Thanks for posting. Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: